Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The passenger rear door on my KC is rattling when hitting bups or gravel roads. I went through all the posts here on doors and people mentioning adjusting the strikers.
But do I adjust them out away from the cab or in?
Do I just loosen the torx and move the strikers because they don't look like they adjust much if any at all.

Also been thinking of lining the door with insulation.
This thing is driving me crazy I have the entire door panel off and I still could not pinpoint where it was coming from with my buddy driving and me in the back.
I do know that if I push out on the door towards the bottom it stops making the noise.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I'd like to hear an answer for this as well as mine rattle over bumps too.

·
Registered
578 Posts
roy365 said:
One side of mine "pops" when i shut it. I havent noticed any rattles. Anyone?

One side of mine popped when it was opened. Took it to the dealer and they tried greasing it and couldnt fix it so they replaced the hinge

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK so I fixed it. I bought some foam auto weather strip from home depot. The kind with the adhesive backing. I taped in onto the back KC door exatcly where it meets the rubber weather strip. I taped it all around the door (on 3 sides) omitting the side that connects to the front door.

It stopped the noise completely. Although now tyhe door needs to be closed rather firm to latch properly but I don't use that door very often anyway and the noise was driving me so crazy I was about to remove the entire door.

·
Registered
274 Posts
ucf_motorcycle said:
OK so I fixed it. I bought some foam auto weather strip from home depot. The kind with the adhesive backing. I taped in onto the back KC door exatcly where it meets the rubber weather strip. I taped it all around the door (on 3 sides) omitting the side that connects to the front door.

It stopped the noise completely. Although now tyhe door needs to be closed rather firm to latch properly but I don't use that door very often anyway and the noise was driving me so crazy I was about to remove the entire door.
Would you be able to post some pics illustrating what you did. I think I understand, but pics would be great. I have wind noise when there is a strong cross wind, maybe that will remedy my little problem.

·
Banned
6,454 Posts
Delta15 said:
One side of mine popped when it was opened. Took it to the dealer and they tried greasing it and couldnt fix it so they replaced the hinge
I figured it was that "trick" two piece hinge design. Shoulda took before the warranty ran out!!! :crying:

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I too have the noise, but let me make it very clear, I have a squeek not a rattle as those things are very different.

To make the squeek go away I just use my Shinitsu grease on it. I do not know how to describe the Shinitsu grease, it is a grease specifically designed for weather stripping, I use it on the 8-miles of weather stripping on the convertible top of the S.

My Titan's squeek is nothing more than the door weather strips rubbing on each other and makimg a noise.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gunner22 said:
Would you be able to post some pics illustrating what you did. I think I understand, but pics would be great. I have wind noise when there is a strong cross wind, maybe that will remedy my little problem.
Batteries are dead in the camera. So I'll try to explain it again. Basically I just looked where the factory weather strip contacts the door. There actually was a line from where the way the dust collected on the door sill. Then I taped the foam weather strip on the door all the way around the 3 sides. I didn't put any on the side that meets the front door as this is a different type of seal. Should be rather simple.

I used the 3/4" thick foam strip I think the thinner might work better as now my door requires a little extra oomph to close. But it doesn't squeek.

·
Registered
274 Posts
ucf_motorcycle said:
Batteries are dead in the camera. So I'll try to explain it again. Basically I just looked where the factory weather strip contacts the door. There actually was a line from where the way the dust collected on the door sill. Then I taped the foam weather strip on the door all the way around the 3 sides. I didn't put any on the side that meets the front door as this is a different type of seal. Should be rather simple.

I used the 3/4" thick foam strip I think the thinner might work better as now my door requires a little extra oomph to close. But it doesn't squeek.
Awesome, I think I get the mental picture of that. Thanks for the further explanation.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Quad T said:
I too have the noise, but let me make it very clear, I have a squeek not a rattle as those things are very different.

To make the squeek go away I just use my Shinitsu grease on it. I do not know how to describe the Shinitsu grease, it is a grease specifically designed for weather stripping, I use it on the 8-miles of weather stripping on the convertible top of the S.

My Titan's squeek is nothing more than the door weather strips rubbing on each other and makimg a noise.

Where do you get that stuff? I have the same squeak issue. Its pretty faint and I don’t notice it most of the time but if the fix is that easy why not.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
The squeek becomes present eventually on every brand kingcab/extracab style i have heard or been in. Its because there is no piller for the door to latch too just the rear door whick is also not hardmounted. Cab flex and twist makes the weather stripping squeek. I hate it, if you have a grease or conditioner that helps let me know.
Also shut your front door and watch the rear door, it pushes in and back out very slighty and noticably like there is slack. Thats gay

·
Registered
21 Posts
I took the two bolts out and you can put shims behind one side of the bolt threads to bring the latch in towards the cab. This worked for me, it was driving me crazy!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Allen titan said:
I took the two bolts out and you can put shims behind one side of the bolt threads to bring the latch in towards the cab. This worked for me, it was driving me crazy!
on the back door? No more sqeek?

·
Premium Member
31,979 Posts
I have had this noise for a month or so now. I will look into trying these repairs or just let the dealer handle it. Thanks for the info.:D

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
Allen titan said:
Can you post some pics? My driver side rear door makes a horrible noise over washboard and other small bumps.

·
Premium Member
31,979 Posts
I took a couple of pics with my camera phone. It looks like the hinge makes contact with the body and creates a popping noise.

I had my wife drive around while I sat in the back seat. The door vibrates in sync with the noise. Time to take full advantage of my warranty.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts