Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the right place to post this or not, but what gives with the lack of literally any organization in these forums? I'm seeing random threads related to truck questions in literally every single sub forum, even here, regardless of if it's on topic or not. What's causing this mass chaos?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
208 Posts
Nature of the user of this forum. Most of those who mispost are first timers, and probably don't normally participate in forums. They are just looking for some help, and as a community, would we rather give them the help no matter where they post, or ignore their pleas just because they couldn't figure out where to post. JMHO

Also, IMO, we could probably get rid of the distinction between 1st and 2nd gen trucks for most of the forum. New folks struggle more with this than anything else here, and really, if you are having a driveline issue wouldn't you want the opinions of the old hands with 1st gen trucks as well as those who just joined in with a 2nd gen? And all the 1st gen owners can probably enjoy laughing at the foibles of all the newb 2nd gen owners. Again, JMHO.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nature of the user of this forum. Most of those who mispost are first timers, and probably don't normally participate in forums. They are just looking for some help, and as a community, would we rather give them the help no matter where they post, or ignore their pleas just because they couldn't figure out where to post. JMHO

Also, IMO, we could probably get rid of the distinction between 1st and 2nd gen trucks for most of the forum. New folks struggle more with this than anything else here, and really, if you are having a driveline issue wouldn't you want the opinions of the old hands with 1st gen trucks as well as those who just joined in with a 2nd gen? And all the 1st gen owners can probably enjoy laughing at the foibles of all the newb 2nd gen owners. Again, JMHO.
I tend to agree on helping them out; perhaps if moderators had the time to organize and move topics it might help, but I also could see a user losing their topic. I also think the fact that so many use tapatalk first and foremost may also contribute, since if you look at the webpage I feel it becomes easier to understand and differentiate the different subforums.

I also think it probably wouldn't hurt to combine the 1st and 2nd gen topics, would help consolidate activity. Really, so much stuff applies to both gens.

Really just wanted to get the conversation started more than anything, and see what everyone has to say.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I tend to agree on helping them out; perhaps if moderators had the time to organize and move topics it might help, but I also could see a user losing their topic. I also think the fact that so many use tapatalk first and foremost may also contribute, since if you look at the webpage I feel it becomes easier to understand and differentiate the different subforums.

I also think it probably wouldn't hurt to combine the 1st and 2nd gen topics, would help consolidate activity. Really, so much stuff applies to both gens.

Really just wanted to get the conversation started more than anything, and see what everyone has to say.

As I understand this, it is actually a whole group of related forums (not just Titan), and the handful of mods and admins probably have their hands full policing inappropriate comments and materials as well as holding down day jobs. Most mods on the fora I frequent are volunteers, so having them do that much policing is probably more than they are willing/able to do. Considering this forum is (mostly) free, we get what we pay for :).

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
It's been complained about for years, but when you have admins that this is not their full time job that's what you'll get.

Also doesn't help to have roughly 377,000 "Will my tires fit this setup?" or "How can I lift this truck?" threads or just plain duplicates when people "want to get the most visibility". There are only so many ways you can level the front end of the truck, Johnny, your version is not unique. Use the search bar and help alleviate the clutter.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Case in point:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wonder if there are any opportunities to add more mods at some point? Just having a few more volunteers to help keep things organized would help a ton.

Unfortunately, I suppose another part of the problems here are that in the end, these forums arent incredibly active. There's even another Titan community that is also fairly dead, so I feel like because the forums are fairly slow most of the time people feel they have to spam their topics around to get at least someone to see it

·
Premium Member
74,655 Posts
What's causing this mass chaos?
110% user error. Users are stupid and a lot of it is ID.10T issues.

If you have the time you should volunteer it to clean up the forum and help us all.

If you think this is bad you should see the groups on Facebook. Can I run turbos on my Titan? What kind of oil? What size tire with leveling kit? Should I do JBA headers or the cheap ones on Ebay?

Did you know if you hold down the unlock button the windows roll down?

and so on and so forth into infamy.

·
Premium Member
69,135 Posts
Nobody searches. Everyone's problems are unique. Everyone would rather be told the answer rather that put forth the effort do do a search. Most would never make it in the pre internet world I grew up in. No cell phones, no internet. You actually had to research and interact face to face to solve problems. Yeah I'm older and I'm glad I grew up when I did.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
110% user error. Users are stupid and a lot of it is ID.10T issues.

If you have the time you should volunteer it to clean up the forum and help us all.

If you think this is bad you should see the groups on Facebook. Can I run turbos on my Titan? What kind of oil? What size tire with leveling kit? Should I do JBA headers or the cheap ones on Ebay?

Did you know if you hold down the unlock button the windows roll down?

and so on and so forth into infamy.
I tried keeping up with some of the FB groups. No more. It's just amplified from what's on here.

·
Premium Member
74,655 Posts
I tried keeping up with some of the FB groups. No more. It's just amplified from what's on here.
If only their was a website where you could type in your question and see responses. I can't believe that's not a thing yet.... someone could make millions.

·
Super Moderator
36,885 Posts
Well first, mods are not paid and we don't even get swag. At one time, tried to keep it simple, but we have had issues and complaints when moving threads as well. What to do? ? ?

Look, I try and remove duplicate questions (or combine them) from the same user. It takes time and lots of it. Note that I and most of the mods work full time and have kids. This truck forum is something that we care about because, we have or had Titans.

So here is your chance to help if you want to spend the time, report and tag the treads you think don't belong to be seen by you in certain place on the forum, and then explain how reading the offending thread had violated your space in some way. Then a mod can take a look at the offence and see if in fact that an offence has been committed and make a correction.

Thanks

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well first, mods are not paid and we don't even get swag. At one time, tried to keep it simple, but we have had issues and complaints when moving threads as well. What to do? ? ?

Look, I try and remove duplicate questions (or combine them) from the same user. It takes time and lots of it. Note that I and most of the mods work full time and have kids. This truck forum is something that we care about because, we have or had Titans.

So here is your chance to help if you want to spend the time, report and tag the treads you think don't belong to be seen by you in certain place on the forum, and then explain how reading the offending thread had violated your space in some way. Then a mod can take a look at the offence and see if in fact that an offence has been committed and make a correction.

Thanks
I understand completely. Moderating is a voluntary thing, and it's much appreciated. I don't suspect the problem is a moderator problem but rather a community problem as a whole. The fact you say people complain about having threads moved around and such is telling. At some point, the line has to get drawn and if the line is "just post whatever wherever" then I'll accept it. I just look back to other vehicle forums (focus ST, veloster turbo, ram forums) I've been in over the years and havent ever seen a problem like this before. But, I really do trust you when you say the mod team has done all they can.

This isnt meant to be any sort of attack, and I understand and appreciate the perspective you have. I can tag and report OT posts, but if it will only be met with resistance then I'll just carry on and not bother.

edit FWIW I glanced around and really took a long look at things. It's not really as bad as i think it looks, I just think theres a couple of subforums that get derailed with lots of completely off topic posts.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Sadly Facebook is largely to blame for most of the issues. The social groups on Facebook have fostered laziness by promoting this expectation of instant gratification. Not to mention the social groups on Facebook do a horrendous job of archiving information as well as not making it available to search engines for the rest of the world. Instagram doesn't help either and Reddit has swallowed the remaining few who haven't succumbed to the social media outlets.

·
Super Moderator
36,885 Posts
edit FWIW I glanced around and really took a long look at things. It's not really as bad as i think it looks, I just think theres a couple of subforums that get derailed with lots of completely off topic posts.
Yep, a few places always get hit because, almost no one does a search before a post. They treat it like Facebook... Try and do a search for something there ;)...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts