Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been searching tons of threads but everything ive seen requires trimming, etc..

i have an 08 pro4x stock height, rims, etc... looking for the largest tire i can put on there without having to perform any extra work. stock size is 275/70-18 and id guess that a 285/70 would fit since its not much wider, or maybe even a 295/70-18. but again, i dont want to have to trim anything, etc... any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
I have 33" tires with no issues and also had them on my old 07 SE with no issues which had more of a rake than my pro4x. I'm thinking some might be able to get 34's with factory rim.

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
325/60-18 or 33x13-18 are the largest that will clear 100% all the time. :)

·
Registered
989 Posts
Some have fit a 295/70/18 terra grappler (trail grapplers are a little bigger in that size) with no trimming on the stock rim but they did rub a little at full lock with the suspension compressed. Most report that the 305/65/18 fit with no or very minor rubbing. The ones that did have rubbing just had to remove the OEM mud flaps. A 285/70/18 would be perfect IMO, but I don't know of anyone who makes that size. For 18" rims, there is a large gap between 33.2" and 34.5" for tires besides the BFG's in the 305/65/18 size (33.6").

Reactions: Rocky 5

·
Registered
19 Posts
Running 305/60/18 with plenty of clearance. 325 would probably fit but it'd be tight, I could see them rubbing in anything but on road driving.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I put on a set of 295 70 18 Terra Grapplers on my stock height pro 4x crew cab, and there was a good amount of rubbing and I just took off the mud flaps and cut off a good chunk of them and then grinded them down and then had to take some material off in the fender area. On the drivers side the rubbing is minimal and I can live with it and the passenger side needs more work but as long as I dont turn too far it doesnt touch at all.

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
I put on a set of 295 70 18 Terra Grapplers on my stock height pro 4x crew cab, and there was a good amount of rubbing and I just took off the mud flaps and cut off a good chunk of them and then grinded them down and then had to take some material off in the fender area. On the drivers side the rubbing is minimal and I can live with it and the passenger side needs more work but as long as I dont turn too far it doesnt touch at all.
Heck ya you did!!! Those are 35" diameter tires. :eyebrow: 325/60-18, for example, are wider but 33" diameter so they fit just fine. :teeth:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i certainly dont want to run a tire that is smaller in diameter so at least the same or mildly larger (within a 1/2") but if you guys are saying that the width doesnt really effect anything much, but only height is what creates the rubbing that gets me in the right direction.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
this is a good link to compare tire sizes. looks like a 305/65-18 is .4" taller

Tire size calculator

now who sells this size tire at the best price. i do mostly highway commuting, but i want a tire that looks meaty and not like a plain jane radial.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
I am curious as well. :)

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
i certainly dont want to run a tire that is smaller in diameter so at least the same or mildly larger (within a 1/2") but if you guys are saying that the width doesnt really effect anything much, but only height is what creates the rubbing that gets me in the right direction.
Anything wider than 13" will rub a little... All of the tires mentioned above are larger diameter than the OEM 32" tires. That .4" is an estimate, the exact measurement depends on the tire itself... BFG A/T is the only one I've seen in that size... 305/60-18 is closer to the OEM diameter but much wider and opens the door to a better selection.

Tire Details - Discount Tire Direct

ANY of these will fit:

Tire Products - Discount Tire Direct

·
Registered
542 Posts
this is a good link to compare tire sizes. looks like a 305/65-18 is .4" taller

Tire size calculator

now who sells this size tire at the best price. i do mostly highway commuting, but i want a tire that looks meaty and not like a plain jane radial.
I have 305/65/18 BFG AT TA's on my '04 4WD with a 1.5" PRG leveling kit. When they were new, I got a decent amount of rubbing when at full lock or near. It was mostly rubbing the mud flap (the portion inside the wheel well that overlaps the plastic wheel well, not the actual "flap"), but I wanted to keep the flaps, and I really wasn't terribly keen on the pinch weld mod, so I've just lived with it. As they've worn, it's become less of an issue. I'm sure you'd see slightly more rubbing on a stock Pro4X, but I can't tell you for sure.

I got mine through Discount Tire Direct for roughly $1200. At the time they were around $50 less than Tire Rack, all together. Obviously, mount and balance (and alignment, which is never a bad idea with new tires) will add a good additional amount to that figure.

The BFG's are the most popular tire in the 305/65/18 profile. I think there might be one or two different tires available in that size, but it's been long enough since I bought that I can't recall. It's is an E-rated "10 ply" (actually 3, these days) tire, that's something like 25 lbs per tire heavier than the stock, smaller p-metrics. The ride is a little stiffer, and you'll lose some MPG due to the additional rotational mass (I only lost ~0.5-1.0 MPG, some report more), but you certainly feel like you have tires fitting of a truck, versus glorified passenger car tires. It's reassuring to know you have a tire with a much stiffer carcass if you spend much time hauling a load, or on fire roads or trails. With my previous Goodyear GSA 265/70/18's I could grab the side of my bed, shake the truck laterally, and see the sidewall just flex back and forth like a balloon. I'm sure it'd be similar with those p-metric BFG Rugged Trail's Nissan is putting on the Titans now. With the E-rated BFG AT TA's - not so much.

Personally, I'm really a fan of the BFG AT's. They have a somewhat aggressive look, but not as over-the-top as so many of the off-road tires out there today. They've been made in their current design for a very long time, and they've aged well. They're pretty quiet on the highway and generally have fine road manners; you definitely don't feel like you have some crazy-aggressive mudders on. If you drive on ice or snow, they have siping, which is important and very uncommon in the off-road tire segment. They wear well - I have around 25K on mine and would guess I have at least that much again left. And like I said earlier they ride a little rougher, but IMO the Titan rides pretty smooth, so the increase in stiffness still nets a pretty easy ride for a 4WD full-size truck.

I don't have a lot of vanity pictures with my truck, but here's a pic for context. This is in front of my Dad's house before we left for a sled trip back in February 2009 - just a couple of weeks after I got the tires.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a 2010 Pro 4 x and have the same question, I am looking at the Nitto Dune Grapplers, and they web sight shows a replacement size of 305/45/r22 118T will that fir without any issues???? help Also what do you think of this tire for daily use and even snow, I am in the north east love the look any responces please:redblob"

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
I have a 2010 Pro 4 x and have the same question, I am looking at the Nitto Dune Grapplers, and they web sight shows a replacement size of 305/45/r22 118T will that fir without any issues???? help Also what do you think of this tire for daily use and even snow, I am in the north east love the look any responces please:redblob"
I replied to your PM, basically the size will fit but I've been told they do not do well in snow and the Terra Grapplers are a much better all-around tire.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hmm, 25lbs per tire is a lot of weight (especially rotating mass) and when you consider that every 8lbs = 1rwhp that makes a huge difference. i may just stick to the stock size tires since i really dont do any off roading worth noting. i did want a wider tire for the appearance of it, but not at a 25lb per tire penalty, and not if its going to rub. i figured that the pro4x may sit taller than a standard titan do to the different suspension, but i dont know for certain.

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
The Pro-4x is a little taller, it's equal to an Armada w/ 2" Mini-Lift.... Alot of the weight difference comes from being a heavier LT-rated tire, you can easily gain 10-lbs ea even when sticking with the OEM size just because OEM is usually one of the lightest P-Rated POS tires you can possibly find because a soft ride with better MPG makes the sales easier... Checkout the tires you want in the OEM size then compare the weight to the same tire in wider sizes to decide where you want to be... But you're right, you can lose 5-mpg very easily if you're not selective enough.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Yeah, it's judgment call you'll just have to make yourself. Larger tires are obviously going to be heavier, all else held equal. When you add in the fact that with the Titan virtually all profiles larger than the OEM are E-rated then you really have no choice if you want to step up in size. The guys with 17's have a few more options in this regard, but with 18's there's really nothing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks, im not so concerned with fuel mileage as i am with rotational mass and the decrease in acceleration, braking and even cornering performance (not that im looking to pull .9g's in this thing... but its the point. looks like im sticking with the stock size.. what the hell, they are cheaper anyway.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
OEM's are 33" not 32" on the Pro4X.

Anything wider than 13" will rub a little... All of the tires mentioned above are larger diameter than the OEM 32" tires. That .4" is an estimate, the exact measurement depends on the tire itself... BFG A/T is the only one I've seen in that size... 305/60-18 is closer to the OEM diameter but much wider and opens the door to a better selection.

Tire Details - Discount Tire Direct

ANY of these will fit:

Reactions: Pops
1 - 20 of 31 Posts