Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive a 2005 Nissan Titan LE, has 94,000 miles. On a 120 mile trip I noticed a clunking sound so I decided to pull off and investigate. Initially I thought something was rolling around in the bed of the truck so I opened the tonneu cover. To my surprise there was a big bulge on the truck bed. I am not a mechanic so I thought it may have been sun damage or bulging from heat or something. When I tried to stomp the bulge down with my foot it didn't move. That is when I decided to look under the truck. That is when I noticed the Leaf Spring Shackle had failed. Glad it didn't go through the bed like some of the other people have posted. I am having both sides replaced at my mechanic.

·
Premium Member
58,768 Posts
2004 through 2007 Titans have shackles that are very weak. Make sure your mechanic replaces the shackle with a 2008 shackle. They fit perfectly and are much improved.

Reactions: Jet747 and IbChris

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Quartz. That is what I have been reading in this Forum. 2008 SRB or something like that. It is only with this part failure that I discovered Nissan Titan Forums. Pretty nice with a lot of good information!

·
Super Moderator
161,882 Posts
Sorry you had to find us this way. :( Unfortunately, that shackle failure on the pre-'08 models is a known issue. Especially in places where roads are salted in the winter.

Reactions: Jet747

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
This definitely should be a recall item, but nothing will be done until some innocent party is badly injured/killed.

Reactions: Jet747

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Carbeaux, although I live in NC right now we did just move from MN where plenty of salt is used nearly year round. Are there any other "known" issues that I can have the mechanic take a look at while he is replacing the 2 shackles? Thanks again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just had this happen to our Titan. 2006, 65,000km

Truck was driven in salted roads.

What sucks is I have a Worlds Jet Boat Race in a day. So I have to find a replacement in time.

Thanks for the info on this thread.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Kinda off topic, but does anybody know if the spring tech drop shackles are a suitable replacement? My current chuckles are fine, but I wanna drop the t

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Any aftermarket is an improvement basically.

·
Registered
126 Posts
while on the topic of leafsprings, i have 2000kms on my 2011 now and my driver sde has a slight squeek. normal? or should i get the dealer to do something about it. but the weather is starting to get cold

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
I say just unbolt the leaf pack and lube her up!

·
Registered
126 Posts
i greased the up thismorning now i gotta wait until after i drive home from work to work in the grease but has anyone else had a squeeking problem? 2000kms isnt alot of mileage to be making noise already

1 - 16 of 16 Posts