Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My driveway has a little bity of a slope to it, I normally park it facing down hill. Yesterday I had something in the bed so I backed into the driveway, left it pointed up hill overnight. It did rain yesterday evening, but nothing terrible. Today when I hopped in the truck and took off, as soon asit got level I had a few table spoons of water shoot out the sunglasses holder. Opening it up, I can feel it wet up above the hinge area. I drove down to the next street which has a similar layout, and it did it again, but no more after that. Is the windshield prone to leaking in these?? I don't see any water damage anywhere, no spots, etc.

Truck has less than 2k miles on it...grrrrrrr

Finger points to where the water exited.
1623622432875.png

·
Registered
'21 PR '20 P4X (sld) '06 SE (sld) '16 SS
1,369 Posts
Wow, that sucks. Do you have a sunroof? When I went on a long trip, I used a windshield squeegee from a gas station to clean off my windshield. Some of the soapy water made it up to the windshield, interestingly enough kind of close to that area and I noticed bubbles starting to form (just like when putting soapy water on a tire to look for an air leak). That was one of the items I had meant to have addressed by the dealer, but have since traded that truck in. I actually saw a few areas like that around the truck. There were also some bubbles coming from the passenger side window.

Get some soapy water and apply it around the windshield and look for bubbles. Video it and take the video to the dealership.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No sunroof...I do have a video of the water coming out the second time though. Good thoughts on the soapy water, I'll give that a try this evening...

I'm afraid it has gotten into the sensors/whatever is behind that big chunk of black plastic behind the rearview mirror...

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
No sunroof...I do have a video of the water coming out the second time though. Good thoughts on the soapy water, I'll give that a try this evening...

I'm afraid it has gotten into the sensors/whatever is behind that big chunk of black plastic behind the rearview mirror...
That's where the crash avoidance camera is. It's used in conjunction with the sensors on the bumper. I think it's also the camera that reads the speed limit signs that get displayed on the instrument cluster.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
That's where the crash avoidance camera is. It's used in conjunction with the sensors on the bumper. I think it's also the camera that reads the speed limit signs that get displayed on the instrument cluster.
I should know this but could it be the xm radio antenna mount on roof? That, third brake light, poor front windshield seal…

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I should know this but could it be the xm radio antenna mount on roof? That, third brake light, poor front windshield seal…
I think he means the base of the mirror that mounts to the windshield. The SiriusXM antenna is that little plastic thing near the front on the roof, which actually, now that you mention it may be where the leak is coming from, as it does feed into the radio. That might be a good place for the OP to check for leaks as well.

·
Registered
848 Posts
My factory windshield on my 1st gen leaked due to lack of sealant from factory. Might want to take it to dealer. They found leak and had it taken off and replaced with same one, just resealed it. If thats the case, throw a rock at it and go through insurance if you have glass coverage.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
At the dealer now, they reported sealant installed incorrectly. They don't want to pull the windshield in case it breaks, so they are going to order a new windshield also so they have it. It'll be a week before it's in, they asked if i could park it with a bag over it's head until then.

They don't have any loaners available right now, i told her if it sits in my driveway with a bag taped across it, it was going to have a message on it for sure.

Frustrated for sure... Is there not going to be a water stain or similar up around the inside of them headliner?

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
At the dealer now, they reported sealant installed incorrectly. They don't want to pull the windshield in case it breaks, so they are going to order a new windshield also so they have it. It'll be a week before it's in, they asked if i could park it with a bag over it's head until then.

They don't have any loaners available right now, i told her if it sits in my driveway with a bag taped across it, it was going to have a message on it for sure.

Frustrated for sure... Is there not going to be a water stain or similar up around the inside of them headliner?
That sucks to hear. Have you told them that the water may have already affected the electronics near the windshield? I'd tell them that you smelled a faint burning electronics smell, and that you feel it may be a safety issue. When you mention "safety", it tends to light a fire under their ***. It's a little bit underhanded, but if you need your vehicle serviced, it's what you have to do. Is this the dealership that you bought the truck from? If not, any other dealerships in your area?

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I wonder if you could apply some silicone around the area for the time being. Ask the dealership if they can apply something to prevent a leak for the time being. I'd make sure you ask them first before applying it yourself so that they don't try to come back and claim that you messed with the seal. I figure if they can identify where it's leaking, just put a small coat of sealant, and try to cover the spot. Just get the dealership to confirm that you're ok in doing so, would suck if they tried to claim that you modified the vehicle to avoid the leak warranty.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update - It's been at the dealer since Wednesday. Friday, they had a glass company remove the windshield and reseal it. They are keeping it until Monday to cure, then will take a hose to it and see if it leaks. There was a glob of sealant that had come out, seen here. We'll see!

·
Premium Member
4,495 Posts
That glob must be from the source of the water, too coincidental to be near there and not be related.
Hope it’s all fixed.

Clint

Reactions: busemans
1 - 13 of 13 Posts