Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was getting ready to install my rear blocks and finish up my mini lift. Well, when I got underneath my truck, I noticed a lot of brake fluid on my rear driver side wheel.

Do you have any idea what might be wrong?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Thats not brake fluid. Thats a axle seal gone bad. Take it to the dealer. This is a known problem now it seems. Nissan really needs to do something about this.

·
Premium Member
17,123 Posts
Probably rear axle seal leak. (gear oil, not brake fluid).

Check the levels in the brake fluid reservoir and the rear diff.

Rear axle seal is covered under the 60,000 power train warranty.

If it is the rear axle seal, don't install the lift blocks and take it to the dealer. They have to replace the bearing to replace the seal.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Really? Crap! They just put a new rear end in about 10,000 miles ago.

*Update: I just called my service guy and he said there is a new updated rear end. Apparently it is the new, new rear end. I'm going to drop it off on Monday.

I'm glad I didn't put the blocks on the back yet.

Thanks for the quick responses.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bestatchess said:
Maybe you can get some details on exactly what is different?
I will. Maybe I will see if they have a rear end that won't get stuck in a pile of wet leaves.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
That rear end would be the tru-trac. I'm thinking of getting one myself. But I also have a rear seal appearing to be going bad so I want them to deal with that first. I highly doubt it but maybe I can get them to buy me one of those instead!

·
Premium Member
17,123 Posts
titanmike said:
That rear end would be the tru-trac. I'm thinking of getting one myself. But I also have a rear seal appearing to be going bad so I want them to deal with that first. I highly doubt it but maybe I can get them to buy me one of those instead!
Maybe you can make a deal for them to install the truetrac. It is not the best concept to fix the seal and then install the truetrac as the axle shafts have to be pulled to install the truetrac and the service manual states emphatically that the seals must be replaced any time you pull the shafts. Further, to replace a seal, you have to replace the bearing & bearing retainer.

If possible, it would make more sense to install the truetrac, simultaneously replacing the seals/bearings. It seems to vary widely what kind of aftermarket stuff the dealers are willing to install. For example, I recall one poster saying the dealer installed the truetrac, numerous dealers install lifts and after market wheels and tires. However some dealers will not get involved in any of that. I asked my dealer if they did not warranty rear axle work, such as replacing ring & pinion, etc. They said they farmed it out and gave me the name & phone number of the shop. I called that shop and when pressed to let me talk to the actual tech that does rear axle work, they admitted that they farmed it out to still another shop.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
i got a quote from a local gear shop for 135 for the TT install. So they replace the seals during that anyway?

·
Premium Member
17,123 Posts
titanmike said:
i got a quote from a local gear shop for 135 for the TT install. So they replace the seals during that anyway?
I think most installs have been done w/o replacing seals (in spite of service manual dictate to replace seals anytime axle shafts are pulled)

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Being as you have an '04, see if you can find a dealer that will replace the whole rear end and axle at no charge. They did this for me.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
AgTitan06 said:
Please report your rear axle seal failure to the NHTSA and the link in my signature.
I'll do it. The dealership fixed the problem with no issues. Gave me a rental car and everything.

For all you guys in Atlanta area, I highly recommend Sutherlin Nissan in Buford. They are pretty far away from me, but my service guy Ian is the man so it's worth it. I've had zero issues with them and they always get things done quickly and professionally.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
titanmike said:
$135 for TT? Dang, that would totally be worth it!

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
$135 was just to have it installed.

·
Registered
5,338 Posts
TexTheTitan said:
I'll do it. The dealership fixed the problem with no issues. Gave me a rental car and everything.

For all you guys in Atlanta area, I highly recommend Sutherlin Nissan in Buford. They are pretty far away from me, but my service guy Ian is the man so it's worth it. I've had zero issues with them and they always get things done quickly and professionally.
The reason for reporting it is so the NHSTA will open an investigation on the problem, forcing Nissan to come up with a permanent fix for this common problem.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bayou Titan said:
Being as you have an '04, see if you can find a dealer that will replace the whole rear end and axle at no charge. They did this for me.
This is a new rear end! That's why I was so surprised to see it leaking. I have about 5,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Nissan will be installing my 4th rear end next week and the first thing I will be doing is changing out the axle vent. I think the vent is causing a vaccume during cool down and causing seal leaks. The second thing is to change the center driveshaft bearing. The rubber bumper around the bearing becomes cracked and allows too much movement in the shaft. I feel this might cause some of the differential problems. I also worry about the temperature ratings on the seals. These differentials are getting hot, very hot.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts