Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning,

I have some leaking going on near my front differential. There was a leak in Aug 2019 and the dealer replaced the pinion seal (38189). I noticed in leaking again in January and they replaced the pinion seal again. It is still leaking; from the top-side the steering column is soaked in oil and the fender under the master cylinder is soaked. The dealer is stating that, if the seal is still leaking, Nissan recommends replacement of most of the moving parts of the front differential. This is $1700 repair.

2005 Titan LE 4X4. 94K miles. Original owner. Never off-roaded/lifted; very well-cared for.

Please take a few minutes to review the attached pictures.

Given this information:
1. Has anyone had a seal other than the pinion seal leak?
2. Has anyone allowed their dealer to do the ~$1700 replacement/replace front differential?

Any insights/suggestions are apricated!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I don't think all that is your pinion seal. Or if it is, theyve managed to install it in such a way that its tossing diff fluid all over everywhere.

First thing I'd do is get under there and spray degreaser everywhere and clean it up as completely as possible. Fill your front diff, and then watch for where it's really coming from. If it's the pinion seal, get someone other than the dealer to change it. That behind the flange on the one side doesn't look like it's from the pinion, though, as it would have to be slinging fluid pretty far forward and that's not likely.

If it turns out all the whole case is shot and needs replacing, I'd buy one used and refurb it long before I'd let the dealer do it. A quick check says an '08-up diff can be had for something like $400-800 on the used market, and a good shop could replace all the seals and give it a once-over for far less than a total of $1700. Not terribly hard to self-install if you're handy, either.

My money says you need a different shop than the dealer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts