Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading this site off and on for a few days now and I haven't seen a direct answer to a question I have. Many Many Many posts skirt the issue and come close, but I'm still not convinced.

Are there any drop in LED light bulbs for the Titan that do not require you to hack the harness and install a resistor or other component?

I'd like to be able to do a straight "bulb swap" only for the brake lights, turn indicators (front and rear) as well as the foggies if possible. I'm not trying to change the appearance of the truck and want to keep the stock assemblies - I just want brighter more reliable bulbs.

I tried this once in an Xterra and melted a wiring harness, so I'm a bit leery of doing it again with out seeing some solid bonafide proof that there is such a beast.

I'd also like to add the "under tail gate" LED strip, but all of the ones I have found would cover up the accesss hole for the spare tire. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
160,547 Posts
There aren't any for the brake and turn signals that won't require a load resistor. To my knowledge there's no way to re-program the truck's computer to ignore the lighter load of the LEDs and make it not do the fast blink thing. The fogs would be possible without any load resistor if you can find a compatible bulb. The fogs are an 899 type bulb. However, you won't get a brighter light out of an LED for that application even if you're able to find one.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
LEDs in the fog light housing won't be that bright. It might be bright enough to be seen but not bright enough to see.

I had to use a load resistor for my front turn signal LEDs.

I couldn't tell you about the brake and taillights because I have aftermarket tails. If you do get some for the tails, get the ones the give off light in different directions so it can take advantage of the reflective housing.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Carbeaux - I keep trying to wrap my brain around the computer controlling the flashers and bulbs. I thought that was all relay technology from the 1920's. Who knows, maybe they have turned that function over to the ECU and other computers.

Maybe its just karma or maybe the advertisers on this site tune the ads to match the content of the posting, but when I read your response there was an ad for Super Bright LED's right below it.
SUPER BRIGHT LEDS - LED Lights & Accessories

They are advertising direct replacement bulbs and relays so that the flashers work normaly. I think this type of product (and the prices seem reasonable) is what I'm looking for. I just wonder about the reputation and durability of the product. I guess I'll wait and see after a few days if anyone responds with feedback.

·
Super Moderator
160,547 Posts
There are sensors that want that load from a normal bulb. When it doesn't see that, it flashes quickly to indicate the bulb out. It's not a relay, but programmed into the BCM (I think, though it might be one of the other on-board processors).

I have LED tails, and there is a load resistor in them. If you do the fronts, they will require one, too, same as the tails.

I'm familiar with the site you linked to, I've bought from them. The bulbs are a direct replacement. That much is true. As for not requiring something else to keep your truck happy, I don't believe so.

·
Super Moderator
160,547 Posts
I have not come across any LEDs dual function bulb that does not required a load resistor.
Single function bulb like side marker, license plate light ect... does not need the load resistor.
Bulb that serve as parking/turn signal does.
Exactly. Me either, BBF.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Carbeaux - I keep trying to wrap my brain around the computer controlling the flashers and bulbs. I thought that was all relay technology from the 1920's. Who knows, maybe they have turned that function over to the ECU and other computers.

Maybe its just karma or maybe the advertisers on this site tune the ads to match the content of the posting, but when I read your response there was an ad for Super Bright LED's right below it.
SUPER BRIGHT LEDS - LED Lights & Accessories

They are advertising direct replacement bulbs and relays so that the flashers work normaly. I think this type of product (and the prices seem reasonable) is what I'm looking for. I just wonder about the reputation and durability of the product. I guess I'll wait and see after a few days if anyone responds with feedback.
If you go to the bottom of the tali/turn light page....

Super Bright LEDs - Brake Light, Turn Light and Tail Light Bulbs

it says that a load resistor is required for all LED bulbs. As said before, any light that is a dual function, like your turn signal/parking lights will need a resistor.

·
Registered
763 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2007 Titan Crewcab 2wd LE

How many load resistors do I need if I'm completely changing to LED?

I know I need one for each turn signal filament=4

Do I need them for the brake light filaments and tail light filaments too? that would = 4 more

Do I need them for the reverse lights too? that would = 2 more

Oh, and here's a couple of drawings to help out anyone on making sure the load resistor is in parallel to the filament. I plan to ground/connect the load resistor to a metal ground somewhere that it can't burn anything and then connect the other side to the hot wire of the filament with a T-tap splice so I can connect and disconnect at will if I choose to put a traditional incandescent bulb back in.

Attachments

·
Registered
384 Posts
I have a 2007 Titan Crewcab 2wd LE

How many load resistors do I need if I'm completely changing to LED?

I know I need one for each turn signal filament=4

Do I need them for the brake light filaments and tail light filaments too? that would = 4 more

Do I need them for the reverse lights too? that would = 2 more

Oh, and here's a couple of drawings to help out anyone on making sure the load resistor is in parallel to the filament. I plan to ground/connect the load resistor to a metal ground somewhere that it can't burn anything and then connect the other side to the hot wire of the filament with a T-tap splice so I can connect and disconnect at will if I choose to put a traditional incandescent bulb back in.
You would only need them for the turn signals, so just 4 total.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts