Nissan Titan Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ok where do I start.??? Number one and most important, it is YOUR money and the dealer is not your friend, no matter how much they "want" to be. They are in business to make a profit otherwise they go out of business. Most people make it too easy for the dealer by giving themselves away. See if this sounds familiar...the salesman askes you what you wanna spend, if you have a trade, when are you looking to buy, what kind of monthly payment do you want to be at, any of those sound familiar?? I equate it too poker, they wanna see all of your cards without showing you any of theres. I belive you have to be prepared NOT to buy, I know you have the check and the BUG but, be prepared to thank the salesman for his time and leave...and let them 2nd guess themselves and wonder if your coming back. Almost all salespeople will do their best to put you in the vechicle before you go home so have your mind made up not to buy on the 1st vist no matter how good it sounds. They are basically feeling you out for what you owe on your trade and what you wanna pay total or a month. I just simply ask the salesman "how much do you have in the vehicle....how much profit do you need to make and so on, it confuses 'em. Ive rambled long enough...remember its poker....dont show them all your cards before you get to see of theres..Good luck, oh buy the way my research tells me that whatever the mystery number id that the dealer actually has in the vehicle....paying them 5% over what they actually have in it is fair. Good luck getting an honest anwser as to what they actually have tied up in the truck!!!!:cheers:

·
Registered
457 Posts
Floating-Traction said:
Ok where do I start.??? Number one and most important, it is YOUR money and the dealer is not your friend, no matter how much they "want" to be. They are in business to make a profit otherwise they go out of business. Most people make it too easy for the dealer by giving themselves away. See if this sounds familiar...the salesman askes you what you wanna spend, if you have a trade, when are you looking to buy, what kind of monthly payment do you want to be at, any of those sound familiar?? I equate it too poker, they wanna see all of your cards without showing you any of theres. I belive you have to be prepared NOT to buy, I know you have the check and the BUG but, be prepared to thank the salesman for his time and leave...and let them 2nd guess themselves and wonder if your coming back. Almost all salespeople will do their best to put you in the vechicle before you go home so have your mind made up not to buy on the 1st vist no matter how good it sounds. They are basically feeling you out for what you owe on your trade and what you wanna pay total or a month. I just simply ask the salesman "how much do you have in the vehicle....how much profit do you need to make and so on, it confuses 'em. Ive rambled long enough...remember its poker....dont show them all your cards before you get to see of theres..Good luck, oh buy the way my research tells me that whatever the mystery number id that the dealer actually has in the vehicle....paying them 5% over what they actually have in it is fair. Good luck getting an honest anwser as to what they actually have tied up in the truck!!!!:cheers:
This is true...I pitted two dealers against each other. When I walked on one when I was leaving he asked what he had to do to make a deal. He beat the other dealer by 2k before rebate. I definitely wouldn't say anything about trade ins or having a check.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I got $8K off my 07 XE KC. $26.5K MSRP, paid $18.5K before tax and license. No haggling, it was one of their advertised specials, and I thought the price was good enough.

One thing that I found helpfull was to use the nissanusa website dealer search to look at inventory for various dealers in the area. It's a little awkward (you have to search inventory one dealer at a time), but it can give you a clue of which dealers might have what you want.

·
Premium Member
17,197 Posts
If you are shopping by email, I suggest that you make sure you are getting quotes on a specific VIN# in order to fend off bait and switch tactics. In the past (buying a Chevy delivery van), I have found that different dealers in the same area will send quotes on the identical VIN#, which means that the dealers have to be dealing amongst themselves to sell the vehicle. If you identify which dealer actually has possession of the vehicle, you can squeeze the last 2 or 3 hundred bucks out of the deal.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Don't tell them you have that pre approved check till you get thr price worked out. Dealers don't like those checks b/c they don't make any money on the financing if you use it.
I know this because I sell the same type of loans with pre approved checks for my company.
Make sure they don't try to flip you with other financing when you are signing the papers.
Also I don't know what Cap 1's policy is but if one of our checks expires the customer has to reapply b/c the check is voided by the system.
If you want any more advice on using that check send me a PM.
________
Lovely Wendie99

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Aquaholic said:
Dealers should be willing to go 1000-2000 below invoice plus rebates to get rid of 06s since the 08s come in 3 weeks. I wouldn't pay anymore then that. 25,500-1,000-3,500 = 21,000

Amazing that I basically made an even offer of about 23k + tt&L (on the 06')& they tried to sell me the XE or either a Frontier at that price. :rolleyes: The more I think about how they attempted to sell me a leftover for $27.3k the more insulted I am becoming. They didn't even go as low as invoice.

I think it is my fault however as I knew this before I walked into the dealer .According to an online finance article I read I was told to offer aprox. $3k below invoice on a leftover which would be aprox. $22.5k. I knew this but never mentioned invoice to the salesman & basically was willing to pay up to $23k . I assume he figured I didn't understand invoice. I should have told him ,but it did give me insight into how they will try to take advantage of someone if they don't understand invoice pricing. I will not pay a penny over the $22k for the leftover

Again the internet has been priceless to me. I thought that maybe I was being difficult when I wouldn't budge over $23k ,but now I see that I was being fairly reasonable.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts