Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
04 T 2wd with Big Tow package and 18" tires.

I want to add the PRG 2 or 2.5" level spacers in the front. I also want to replace all factory shocks/struts with Bilstien.

What struts will I need for the front----the HD or 5100's? The back will be HD's I assume.

·
Super Moderator
160,795 Posts
2.5" on the front will level your truck out, so...you can use a 2.5" spacer and the HD shocks up front, or the 2" spacer and the 5100s up front. The 5100s add half an inch on their lowest setting, so you can't do the taller spacer with those.

You can do just the 5100s up front with no spacer and set them on the highest perch and get 2.5" out of them. Just keep in mind that that's adding preload to the springs so the higher you set the 5100s the stiffer, and more harsh the ride becomes.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
you can go with the NCD leveling kit...sells for $72 without bumpstops...if you want bump stops, you can pick up a set for about $15 @ autozone. Still cheaper than the PRG kit--have extra money for beer during the install!!:teethmast
Im running the NCD kit, and couldnt be happier!!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2.5" on the front will level your truck out, so...you can use a 2.5" spacer and the HD shocks up front, or the 2" spacer and the 5100s up front. The 5100s add half an inch on their lowest setting, so you can't do the taller spacer with those.

You can do just the 5100s up front with no spacer and set them on the highest perch and get 2.5" out of them. Just keep in mind that that's adding preload to the springs so the higher you set the 5100s the stiffer, and more harsh the ride becomes.
I'd rather have the softer/better ride---so HD's all the way around and the 2.5" spacers sounds like the parts I need.

I thought I read somewhere (maybe Bilstien website or PRG) that HD struts are only to be used with 2" spacers????????? I figured an extra .5" wouldn't make a difference but just need to be sure.

·
Super Moderator
160,795 Posts
The HD shocks are basically a straight swap for the OEM shocks. It's the 5100s that add half an inch. With the HDs, you'll have a far better ride, and you'll use the 2.5" spacer.

Reactions: jetchaser

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
I'd rather have the softer/better ride---so HD's all the way around and the 2.5" spacers sounds like the parts I need.

I thought I read somewhere (maybe Bilstien website or PRG) that HD struts are only to be used with 2" spacers????????? I figured an extra .5" wouldn't make a difference but just need to be sure.
I've seen two people post that Greg at PRGproducts said the rear HD's ride bad, and recommends either the 5100 rears or the Icon rears, even if you use the HD front struts. Hearsay though.

I've been running the HD front with a 2.5" PRG leveling kit and the DRE/Icon rears and it has been a very nice combination. Smoother than the Bilstein 5125's I used to run, about 5 years ago.

I just replaced the DRE/Icon rears with the Radflo external reservoir shocks and they are even better ... extremely smooth. :) They cost more but it's interesting what the rear shock do for the overall ride of the Titan.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome help! Thanks.

I know I will need an alignment after this swap. Are there any other mods or things to the suspension that I need to do? I need new tires upgraded from the factory Goodyears, but I wanted this replaced/upgraded first and make sure it drives right before the new tires.

I read that people take the sway bar off. Is that necessary? Anything else?

dave

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Shackles are a good one to have upgraded. The '04 and '05's (maybe '06 Idk), have two spot welds that break and they unroll, allowing the leaf pak to shoot up into the bed. There are threads about this.

So either have them welded better, buy the stock '07 version, (I believe that's the upgraded year, but double check), or get the heavy duty ones from PRG if you plan to off road hard, get a Deaver mini-pak like the PRG C10 or C30, or if you need to fine tune the leveling by lowering the rear by 1/2" or 1". I run mine at 0" drop. PRG Variable Height Titan Shackle

I didn't like my sway bar off, so I bought the longer end-links from PRG. PRGproducts OEM Replacement Endlinks

Here's the Icon rear shocks.

and the Radflo 2.0 Remote Reservoir Rear Shocks

·
Super Moderator
160,795 Posts
Better shackles came around in '08, I believe. Same time they upgraded the front brakes.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
another dumb question, I see posts of people having to grind off coil buckets or something---Not sure where that grinding is done and would I need to do it with stock tires and 2 or 2.5" front lift?

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Sometimes, depending on where the particular Titan's coil buckets are welded onto the frame, the UCA's will hit the bucket's lip when a spacer is used, even the size that's o.k. for most Titans of the same year and drivetrain.

With an '04 2wd you should be o.k. with a 2.5" PRG leveling kit, but if you did notice some paint nicks on the coil bucket lip, you could grind a little at those spots, spray paint it, and then check again in another week, and grind more if the nicks reappear. But if someone put a 2.5" on an '04 4x4, grinding probably would not be enough and aftermarket UCA's that provide more clearance would be needed.

For someone running their Titan faster off road, or over speed bumps, a good setup for your '04 2wd, would be the 5100 struts set on the middle setting, (1.5" lift), with you current coils, and a 1.5" PRG leveling kit, because the preloaded coil lifts some, and the spacer is short enough the chances of UCA to bucket contact are reduced.

Or if the 5100s are unavailable and you can't wait and are willing to spend more, the HD's, plus the '09 4x4 coils, and the 2" PRG leveling kit, or 1.5". Think the new coils would give an inch compared to the '04 2wd coils.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
So not to beat a dead horse here but does this mean that you could use the 5100's on the middle setting, along with the new 4x4 coils, and possibly top it off with a small spacer? Thanks for your patience and info norcal!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What is axle wrap? And is there any other way 2 stop it?

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
So not to beat a dead horse here but does this mean that you could use the 5100's on the middle setting, along with the new 4x4 coils, and possibly top it off with a small spacer? Thanks for your patience and info norcal!
Yes, but some say the middle setting is too much preload with the longer '08+ coils, so you end up with a harsh ride. And a 1.5" spacer is less likely to cause UCA to coil bucket contact on the older Titan's so you could do that too.

But roughly $200 for 5100's, $140 new coils, $140 for the 1.5" and $90 to put it all together, for around $600, and you get maybe 3.75" and likely a poor ride with poor droop travel.

Or you could get these, preassembled with high end Eibach springs and valving spec'd by PRG, for less than $200 more. They would ride much better than even if you used your current coils on the bottom setting of the 5100's and added a leveling kit. But if you try to squeeze 3.5 to 4" out of the 5100's I think you will be disappointed with the ride.

PRG Products 2" body Radflo coilovers for stock UCA's

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I was actually looking at the radflos last night and was considering them. Sounds like it would be the best idea... if I wanted more than the 3.5in max, I 'm assuming I could always end up using a small spacer. I know greg is the guy to ask, but I dont suppose you know anything about how well they would ride maxed out at 3.5 in. of lift do you? I kind of wanted to stay away from spacers, i like the idea of suspension lift better! Thanks again man you have been a ton of help!

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
I was actually looking at the radflos last night and was considering them. Sounds like it would be the best idea... if I wanted more than the 3.5in max, I 'm assuming I could always end up using a small spacer. I know greg is the guy to ask, but I dont suppose you know anything about how well they would ride maxed out at 3.5 in. of lift do you? I kind of wanted to stay away from spacers, i like the idea of suspension lift better! Thanks again man you have been a ton of help!
They look like they would take a custom spacer, but then you would need a set of his latest rev. of UCA's, so now you're at almost $1400 before the spacer. They would probably be getting fairly stiff over 3" but I don't think as bad as a '08+ coil on the middle but idk.

So at this price point, ($1400 to $1600?), it makes sense to just get the 4" CST spindle, and some Bilstein HD's for the front. He doesn't list the spindles separately but the 6.5" kit with the 2.5" leveling kit, ss brake lines, CBDB, (that you wouldn't need at 1.5" rear lift), goes for around $1250 on the site, so the spindle by itself is likely under $1000.

Even with your own struts, it would ride pretty much like it does now, but add the HD's and it would be very nice, or if you have the $ you could still do the Radflo OEM replacements and set them at 0" to 3.5". Or check out the other 2wd kits, PRG Products 2wd kits. You can get the same basic kits with Radflo's instead ... the SAWs and Radflo's both use his valving spec'd for the Titan.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've seen two people post that Greg at PRGproducts said the rear HD's ride bad, and recommends either the 5100 rears or the Icon rears, even if you use the HD front struts. Hearsay though.

I've been running the HD front with a 2.5" PRG leveling kit and the DRE/Icon rears and it has been a very nice combination. Smoother than the Bilstein 5125's I used to run, about 5 years ago.

I just replaced the DRE/Icon rears with the Radflo external reservoir shocks and they are even better ... extremely smooth. :) They cost more but it's interesting what the rear shock do for the overall ride of the Titan.
I talked to Greg at PRG--really helpful. He did recommend Icon shocks for the rear. He won't be getting any until February. Do you know of another good place to get them? I'm still not sure between them and Bilstien HD's all the way around. As for Radflo, I just don't want to spend more. I feel like this is a lot already just for shocks and leveling kit. If I can find some Icon for the rears at a descent price, I might go that way.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Then definitely wait for the Icons or or get them elsewhere because although the HD struts are great, it sounds like their rears sux.
If you can't wait a month Google Icon shocks Titan

1 - 20 of 20 Posts