Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, I think I know the answer to this: NO. But I am gonna put it out here HOPING that it is possible.

Since my truck was new, I was never a fan of how loud the exhaust was. Now, at 62K...yup, cracked exhaust manifold. So when cold, it annoys me enough now to remind me that even when fixed, it is still too loud for me.

But, the problem is that I will need tubular header to replace the cast manifolds. Cast manifolds are surely quieter than tubulars, right?? I mean, if I get tubular headers it won't matter what kind of mufflers I get, the combustion/exhaust sounds will still permeate through the relatively thin wall of the header tubes, right?

I would love to get my exhaust leak fixed AND get the overall exhaust nearly as quiet as, say a Lexus. I'm thinking this isn't gonna happen? Thoughts??

And BTW, I appreciate the work Cajun did to post his quieter than usual performance exhaust, but it seems a little bit louder than stock, although it sounds "good", I'd like my truck to be nearly silent...

Reactions: nightowl

·
Premium Member
4,915 Posts
Do jba headers. Cajun catted bpipes cajun Y pipe and axle back setup with JBA muffler and ultra quiet reso.

If it's still to loud use sound deadening material.

Or spend a fortune and replace everything with oem parts.

Lexus cars go thru strict NVH regulations.

So there is more to making a vehicle quiet than just altering the exhaust system.

Lexus v8 cars aren't necessarily quiet. Plus they are choked up.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I say do the headers, then maybe add 2 mufflers and resonator. Not sure if it's been done but I imagine that could cut the sound down a lot.

·
Premium Member
4,915 Posts
The jba muffler or the borla muffler jeff of Cajun bpipes uses is a long case design.

With catted bpipes a JBA muffler which is quieter than XR1 borla and a vibrant ultra quiet or even one of vibrant mufflers would be pretty quiet.

The ultra quiet is essentially a short cased oval muffler.

But like I said it would be pretty easy to add some sound deadening material. It would cancel out road noise, heat and also help the sound quality of your stereo. And would cut down on vibrations from an aging vehicle.

·
Registered
391 Posts
If you think the stock exhaust is loud then you aren't going to be happy with anything but maybe replacing with all stock parts and adding a Vibrant Ultraquiet....or maybe buy an electric car

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
If you think the stock exhaust is loud then you aren't going to be happy with anything but maybe replacing with all stock parts and adding a Vibrant Ultraquiet....or maybe buy an electric car
Agreed. Anything other than stock is going to be louder. You'd need to dynamat your whole cab with two layers to even consider having less noise.

Reactions: jsocks014

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The exhaust is quite loud on the outside of the truck. I have remote start, and the truck has always sounded "burly". Even some of the first magazine reviews commented on how the exhaust sounds.

I don't need dynamat, the truck goes down the road fairly quietly when cruising/coasting.

Our gas Fords at work idle much quieter than any Titan (faulty manifold notwithstanding) I have heard. My question was how to quiet down the exhaust, not how to sound insulate my cab.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
391 Posts
And like I stated with serious helpful input. Stock exhaust with a vibrant ultra quiet

·
Premium Member
4,915 Posts
Ear plugs...

Or replace with oem manifolds that will crack again.

It's a 5.6l v8 that's pretty well choked up already.

you are wanting to fix a ticking manifold issue that you can hear inside the vehicle but yet it's still to loud outside the truck.

Since you're going to spend more time in the truck. Then sound deadening material on top of replacing oem manifolds will make it quieter.

Long story short it's not going to get as quiet as a lexus because they are completely different chassis/bodies with totally different levels of NVH requirements.

Kinda shooting for unrealistic expectations on a truck that is 8yrs old or so.

Not of the options given so far will result in what you're really after.

·
Premium Member
4,915 Posts
You have mudding tires plagued with road noise and you're concerned with loud exhaust?

I don't really know how else to answer your question.

You're going to spend half the amount of what your truck is worth to use oem replacement manifolds that will crack again.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I don't think you guys understand what I am trying to ask because I am asking a question that rarely gets asked around here. Another thing, I think you guys think I am an idiot with vehicles. I used to be an ASE tech many years ago, I am not so clueless.

I am currently running Blizzaks for the winter, hence why I state that my truck is so quiet going down the road. The Titan is not so bad for noise when cruising on quiet tires.

I know my exhaust manifold contributes to the noise. It also quiets up when warmed up. Maybe I should not even have mentioned that.

This has nothing to do with the truck's exterior sound isolation. I find the exhaust to be too loud, even when it was new. Since new the truck has always sounded like it had aftermarket exhaust. 9 years ago I thought it was "kinda cool". Now I would like to cut it down.

I am strictly talking about exhaust sound out of the tail pipe. Other trucks are much quieter. I was merely hoping to solicit some input from those who may have attempted to make their exhaust quieter also. In searching this forum, it became clear to me the exhaust threads center around 2 things: busted manifolds and how to get a louder, better sounding exhaust.

I brought up the tubular manifolds because that is the only way I know to fix the exhaust leak once and for all. I was HOPING that someone who had tubular headers had also tried building out a super quiet exhaust, and may have experience to share.

I don't get how ya'll spiraled off onto comments about sound deadening materials and calling me out about my tires. What's up Milenko? What got you so riled up that after your first post you had to come back 4 minutes later after evaluating my sig and and say some sideways crap?: "You have mudding tires plagued with road noise and you're concerned with loud exhaust?" and then "You're going to spend half the amount of what your truck is worth to use oem replacement manifolds that will crack again" I didn't realize MY truck was worth so little? OK, if it makes you feel better.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
The reason we're giving you these answers is you're asking a question that, as you said in your first post, the answer to is no.

Jsocks has the only solution that might give you what you want. Stock system with the resonator after the muffler.

The reason we say that would be dumb is because Nissan hasn't improved the manifolds. They will crack again. You'd be spending $2.5k+ for manifold replacements that would need another replacement in however many years.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I guess I'll offer my help AGAIN, since you seem to not see it. You bought a V8 truck that sounds like, well a truck. Fix your manifolds and add a Vibrant Ultraquiet to your tailpipe, that is the ONLY way you are going to quiet down a truck that is already loud to you. If you are unfamiliar with what the Ultraquiet does, search it on this forum. Here I will even get you a link to purchase it.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Vibrant-1142-Ultra-Quiet-Resonator/dp/B001806YE2[/ame]

·
Registered
391 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,915 Posts
I don't get how ya'll spiraled off onto comments about sound deadening materials and calling me out about my tires. What's up Milenko? What got you so riled up that after your first post you had to come back 4 minutes later after evaluating my sig and and say some sideways crap?: "You have mudding tires plagued with road noise and you're concerned with loud exhaust?" and then "You're going to spend half the amount of what your truck is worth to use oem replacement manifolds that will crack again" I didn't realize MY truck was worth so little? OK, if it makes you feel better.
Was it 4 mins?, Thought it was a day or so from my first post.

Regardless, don't get so offended. Its easy to misinterpret emotion via text.

The reason you are not finding the answer to your original post, is that it partly doesn't make sense.

You want the exhaust to sound quieter, ok. But you don't drive outside the vehicle.

Isolation of exterior sound is what you're trying to achieve by quieting the exhaust. Youre hearing exhaust manifold tick, inside the cab as well as the resonance from the tailpipe. Not to mention the rest of the engine mechanics. Fuel injector tick, clutch fan, and its a 4 cam engine which are naturally a lil noisy.

Also, i brought up the comparison of your truck vs oem manifolds not to belittle your trucks worth but to give you a reference of how expensive oem replacement manifolds are. $1300 for both not including hardware and gaskets. Guess you didn't get sarcasm, should i have said ''arm and a leg"?

That would be stupid to spend that money on a replacement that would fail inevitably, again.

So you are left with JBA headers as the cheapest alternative to fix your manifolds, which are more important vs quieting the exhaust at this point, seeing how that cracked manifolds are detrimental to AFR of your truck. But you know that because you are ASE Tech from years ago.

And of course the cracked manifolds quiet down when warmed up (depending on severity of the crack). Thats not a mystery, metal expands when hot and seals better. Whether you mentioned that or not, we know.

We understand you want your truck exhaust quieter but we are also trying to help you save money and headache.

Here is your factory exhaust system showing after headers/manifolds, Bpipes to before tailpipe over axle section.

If you want quieter go with Walker quiet Flow SS after the oem Y pipe.

WALKER® EXHAUST SYSTEMS :: Walker® Quiet-Flow SS

·
Registered
190 Posts
I know what your trying to say. I liked the sound of my OEM Titan but after the Mani cracked I threw in the towel and thought
might as well get some HP and TQ if I'm going to spend the money. I had no idea it would be 50% louder than stock.. There has been
many a night when I wish I could sneak in the driveway unnoticed but once you discard that huge OEM Muffler, there's no more sneaking
anywhere. My dog greets me at the door, not a bad thing. Ok there is a old thread on the quietest muffler from 2007 I believe. I've had the JBA from Cajun, the Borla, finally the thread mentioned the Gibson quiet flow. You see the quieter it gets the slower it gets, I wanted flow
through power to aid my Air Raid and Uprev power. So the quietest setup so far I've found is the Larger Gibson Quiet flow through with baffles because I didn't want it stuffed with fiberglass as day one is the quietest it will ever be and 3 month's later it's too loud. So the gibson Quietflow, with the Vibrant reso from Cajun. I'm still 25% louder than stock but now I can sneak in the front door and the dog is still
sleeping in her bed. I figure if she can't hear it then that's as good as it gets. No drone at all... And when I go WOT it's still very loud.
If you can find something quieter that won't forfeit power I'll buy it with you. That 5.6 is just a beast. Impossible to keep it quiet if your
wanting the power that uprev and catbacks unleash.. Good luck.....

·
Vendor
7,921 Posts
Nothing will be quieter than the stock exhaust. You can add headers and keep the stock bpipes( which will kill header gain) and add a UQ but to be honest the JBA catback system with the UQ is perfect IMO but it is louder than stock but not by much. Cajun carries all of this including the UQ which most will purchase with headers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nothing will be quieter than the stock exhaust. You can add headers and keep the stock bpipes( which will kill header gain) and add a UQ but to be honest the JBA catback system with the UQ is perfect IMO but it is louder than stock but not by much. Cajun carries all of this including the UQ which most will purchase with headers.
That's good input nightowl, if anybody would know you would be the guy. I watched your video with your new setup that's much quieter. Very nice sound, no rasp. But in your opinion, could one more muffler be added to further quiet the system? (If there's even room for one more muffler?) I realize that may hurt hp gains, but I would make the sacrifice for a ultra quiet system.

And I have to say, they OP seemed to have an honest question about making his exhaust system quiet. Not how to make the entire chassis block more sound out. Both valid approaches to quieting a ride, but not what he was asking. Cheers

·
Premium Member
4,915 Posts
Yes you could fit another muffler but they are going to be very close to one another. You could add an ultra quiet after the muffler and one before. It will be pretty tame.

The size of the muffler case makes a difference.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts