Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dealership that I bought my truck from gave me a lifetime powertrain warranty. My question is this, what all do I need to do to keep record of my oil changes since I change my own oil? I would assume to just keep the receipts and a log each time I do it? I know it says I must get all maintenance done when it is time and keep record of that as well. Do any of you have a lifetime powertrain warranty that can give me some pointers? Thanks!

·
Registered
221 Posts
check out the magnuson moss warranty act. Yes you can change your own oil just keep receipts.

·
Registered
869 Posts
My dealership told me to just buy the oil filters from them and keep the receipts.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I'm willing to bet you have to get all the service done at the dealer, which can be a lot of money over that time frame.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
More money that replacing an engine?

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Don't fall for their b.s. They always say, your engine could blow, yada yada yada, but honestly, how many times have you ever had to replace a engine? Probably none. It's not worth the hassle of bringing the vehicle in for service and having them take hours out of your day. You'll have to have them do all the 30/60/90k mile services and everything.

My point is, it's not really a good deal like you may think it is.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I'm willing to bet you have to get all the service done at the dealer, which can be a lot of money over that time frame.
If you don't know any better then yes you would normally have to have the shop do all the work :teeth:.

But for the rest of us, no you don't just keep a record of all work done and reciptes.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you don't know any better then yes you would normally have to have the shop do all the work :teeth:.

But for the rest of us, no you don't just keep a record of all work done and reciptes.
Okay I'm sorry, but I'm confused? Are you saying that I can get someone else other than the dealership to do the work and it will still be under warranty?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Okay I'm sorry, but I'm confused? Are you saying that I can get someone else other than the dealership to do the work and it will still be under warranty?
If they dispute the fact work was done all you need are recites and proof that work WAS done.

Basically, recites for work\parts and a log book for safety.
Yes you can have another shop do the work or you can do the work in your garage and as long as you can prove that you HAD the maintenance done they HAVE to uphold the warranty unless you signed a waver saying you agree that all work MUST be in house.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
TITANsmurf brings up a good point. If it was the regular warranty itself, you should be able to do you own maintenance as long as you show that you did indeed perform the maintenance (with receipts,etc).

However, since im pretty sure Nissan itself doesnt give a lifetime power-train warranty, the dealer probably has a stipulation itself (separate from Nissan), stating that in order to receive the lifetime warranty (which im guessing it provided by the dealer and not Nissan), you need to have all the maintenance done at the dealer itself. Im taking a guess that this is what they are trying to do to you.

Again, my GUESS is that the dealer provided you with a lifetime powertrain warranty through the dealer in order to keep your maintenance business with them. The probably figured they would make their money back by forcing you to have work done only with them in order to keep the warranty (the separate lifetime warranty, not the Nissan warranty) intact. Like i said before though, it is hard to state that this is true without more information about the lifetime powertrain warranty they provided to you.

Do you have any paperwork stating the details of the lifetime warranty?

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I asked the guy at the dealership and he said it didn't have to be done at "their" dealership since I live 4 hours from where I purchased my truck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts