Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found out that my local Nissan dealer is now offering a lifetime powertrain warranty. I thought it strange that the dealer is doing it and no Nissan itself. I haven't read the fine print yet but I'd imagine you have to have all service done there. We'll see.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sounds interesting, Get the details (fine print) and post 'em. If it's just the dealer, then it's may be worthless if they "go out of business". I received a 7 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty with mine when I bought it used recently (through Nissan). Then when I complained about "all the other little stuff" that could go wrong, they upgraded it to a "wrap" warranty that is 7 years 100,000 miles bumper to bumper. Also through Nissan. That's more than enough for me as I usually don't keep my vehicles "forever" like I used to. If it's not through Nissan or some kind of AAA rated company, then in the long run it may be worthless. Please let us know more info when you get it.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Going out of business isn't a worry of mine since I've been buying cars from them since 1988 and they've been there for over 35 years. But other things you mentioned are possible. I'll post info as I get it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Our Honda dealership did a similar thing, extened warranty, but the fine print said we had to have all maintenance/service done by them. We missed one oil change, but had it done by a closer dealership and that voided the extended warranty. Luckly we did not need to have anything covered, but it is good to read the fine print.

·
Registered
446 Posts
If you calculate out how much out of pocket $$$ you will spend to get all the oil changes, required services (e.g., 30k, 60k service etc.,) I am not sure it is worth it. Over a 10 year period this could add up to quite a bit of $$$.

There are some dealers here that give free tires for life, but you have to have all oil changes and recommended services done exclusively at their dealership. Nothing is actually free....

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
The Pawnbroker said:
Sounds interesting, Get the details (fine print) and post 'em. If it's just the dealer, then it's may be worthless if they "go out of business". I received a 7 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty with mine when I bought it used recently (through Nissan). Then when I complained about "all the other little stuff" that could go wrong, they upgraded it to a "wrap" warranty that is 7 years 100,000 miles bumper to bumper. Also through Nissan. That's more than enough for me as I usually don't keep my vehicles "forever" like I used to. If it's not through Nissan or some kind of AAA rated company, then in the long run it may be worthless. Please let us know more info when you get it.
Be careful with this one,Nissan does not have a so called "wrap" warranty other than the basic 3 yr-36,000 when you bought your truck.Even this is not all inclusive,ie:brake pads,wiper blades,batteries are pro-rated etc...
You most likely got a Sec Plus Gold Preferred which is the best they have,but it is far from "wrap" coverage.

·
Registered
564 Posts
2 dealers in our area offer a unlimited miles/lifetime on the powertrain and engine.

There is a $100 deductable if I don't go to the dealer for repairs on the powertrain or engine. Otherwise it's free.

Bascially what I have is for the next 7 years/120K miles almost every things is covered under some warranty. After that the lifetime/unlimited miles powertrain and engine warranty will still be in affect.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Nissan Mike,

I'll have to check the specifics. The paperwork and "dealer book":hat: that they showed me did in fact have the title "Wrap". It is apparently only available on top of the "Certified" Used Car 7 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. It isn't something (as I understood it) that is offered to people who buy Extended Warranties when they buy a new car. I'm really not at all worried about wear items like brakes pads, batteries etc. But I wanted things like the electrics seats, windows etc, etc covered. Those are the kinds of things that I don't want to have to think about weather or not it is worth fixing if something breaks. For example, if a seat motor goes out and will cost several hundred dollars to fix, I don't want to have to decide if it is worth fixing. This way it will just be done. One of the windows was making a little squeaking noise on the test drive and that is the kind of thing they told me this warranty would continue to take care of. I own a business just a few blocks from the dealership and this tends to be a small town when it comes to reputation (something that they mentioned to me several times). So when they tell me it is "exactly the same as the original three year 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty", I tend to believe them. I'll definitely find out the exact info and post back though.

Thanks,

Dave.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Mike,

I just noticed something in your post. I did not buy this truck new. I just bought it used a week or so ago. Keep in mind, 3-1/2 of the 7 years is already used up also.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Sounds like Nissan is trying to pull in more customers by copying Chrysler. :D

We bought the lifetime bumper-to-bumper on the new Caravan for a good price, would love to have had that on the Titan so I really could keep it forever.

On the mfr side, it's a numbers game. The lifetime warranties, in the case of Chrysler, aren't transferrable. Since most people only keep their vehicles for 5-7 years Chrysler ends up saving money over offering a standard 7/70 powertrain warranty that does transfer to a new owner.

The people that do keep their vehicles for longer will more than likely be repeat buyers, meaning they liked the vehicle SO much they kept it for 10-15 years, had repairs covered for that period, and are more than willing to buy another vehicle of the same make. Bingo, mfr wins again.

Where they lose is when someone keeps a vehicle for more than 7 years, has an excessive number of problems, and doesn't end up being a repeat buyer. The dealer is betting on those consumers to be the large minority.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found out today that you have to have all service, including oil changes, done at the dealer to get and keep the lifetime powertrain deal.

·
Super Moderator
93,617 Posts
That isn't surprising HVT. I had a Honda Accord with the same stipulations. I did the math and decided it wasn't worthwhile financially.

·
Registered
779 Posts
HudsonValleyTitan said:
I found out today that you have to have all service, including oil changes, done at the dealer to get and keep the lifetime powertrain deal.
yep, our local dealer has the same gimmick. NO WAY am I am going to go sit and waste my time while some knuckle head changes my oil every 4000 miles and my transmission fluid every 30,000 miles. I rather do it myself.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree. Unless you need a new engine at 100k, it'll never pay off. I trust nobody with my vehicles and I can change my own oil using synthetic and real oil filters for half the price.

·
Registered
301 Posts
One of the local Nissan dealers here offers the same, but he didn't have the vehicle I wanted. But the catch was all service on time done by him and what ever he recommends. Now that can be little expensive.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts