Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my Titan to the doctor today.

The Problem:

I had the truck lifted about a week ago. Now when I hit a bump, any bump in the road, as little as a crack in the road I hear a 'thud' like something is loose. I can feel it in the floor board. The noise feels like its coming from right under my feet. The funny part is, you can't hear it from outside the truck, just inside.

The mech. says everything is tight. We took the struts off, they're fine. They thought maybe the swaybar was making the noise, so we took it off, drove it, and it only made the noise worse and more frequent. We are also pretty sure the A arms are not hitting, it feels like its coming from right underneath the center console. :bangit:

The guys at schwabs are stumped at where this is coming from. They drove it today and say they notice the same thing, and that its pretty irritating. I took the truck off road tonight and the thud it make will drive you insane.

Has anyone else had this issue?

I have a 6 inch fabtech lift.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
check the area between the transmission/transfer and body/frame, there is a rubber mount w/ spring that "secures" the transmission/tranfer to the truck. I noticed mine had torn all the way around the rubber boot, which allows a lot of movement when I drove it. It made a God-awful thump, when I got on it from a stop. I don't know if this is the cause for your thumps, but worth a try...

·
Registered
288 Posts
Mine makes an aweful thud when I go over a bump and both front tires drop at the same time. I only have a leveling kit and there are marks on the coild bakets, but they have never gotten worse. It did it before the kit anyway. If only one tire hits the bump it is fine. If both drop, it sounds like my dash is about to fall off it is so loud!!

·
Registered
197 Posts
That is the exact reason I went with a full suspention lift on my 07, I had too many issues on my 04 with this same problem. time for some new arms i suppose or spindles?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I'm still driving it, and its make me insane. The shop that did the lift kit say that nothing is loose or dangerous. I took it off road, and hit some pretty serious bumps. I notice when I hit a bump that makes the suspension really work, I don't hear the noise. But only small bumps seem to do it...any thoughts?

a friend of my dads wants to drive my truck, to decide if he should lift his titan, or level it. I really would like to explain the noise to him, and the shop too!

Thanks!

I love this site!

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
You never said if it was the Stage 1 or Stage 2 Fabtech. The stock C/O's are junk and probably what is making the noise. Or else the rubber mount that DRTYAZN mentioned.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I've got the same thud/thump on small bumps and sometimes just when turning? I have the PC stage 1. its pretty annoying! I hope its just the crappy coilovers as 54 says.

·
Registered
674 Posts
jasonmotox said:
I've got the same thud/thump on small bumps and sometimes just when turning? I have the PC stage 1. its pretty annoying! I hope its just the crappy coilovers as 54 says.
Same here...it drives me nuts...I have benn under my truck seems like hundreds of times looking for loose bolts.....if both tires drop at the same time its quite, but going down a bumpy road when the wheels move independantly then i can hear it, and feel it in the floor board. Very annoying. Please post if you discover the issue.

·
Registered
39 Posts
When i bought my truck I had a small thump coming from under my drivers side floorboard and it turned out to be my Nerf bars! The front bolt had managed to back out a little and it was loose. Maybe this is the problem?

·
Registered
323 Posts
It is also possible that the OEM shocks are worn out or too short for the lift.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
I don't know the difference between the Fabtech and ProComp, but I have the PC stage 1, stock coils and shocks... I have no thuds once the transmission/transfer mount got replaced, however from what I gather from what is being described here could simply be the nasty tire rub or bumpstop hitting. If this is the case, you are definitely going to have to get some new coilovers, let us know when you find out what that "thud" is when you track it down...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Would it be the bumpstops if it only does it on small bumps? My truck wont make this noise if i'm hitting a large bump, with both tires at the same time. Only when I hit small ones in the road, with one tire at a time does it do this. It's freaking driving me up the wall. I work night shift, and sometimes coming home in the morning, dead tired, listening to that is enough to really piss me off.

I'm calling the truck doctor back next week, I really hope they can figure it out :grimrippe

·
Registered
674 Posts
Please pass on the info if you figure it out....I was under my truck again yesterday and found nothing....mine does it only when small bumps are hit with one tire at a time....i feel it on the drivers floor board.....if I hit a big bump it sounds normall....i wonder could the brake pads in the calipers do this......if there not tight fitted?

GOD STOP THE MADNESS,,,,lol

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Rgregory,

That is EXACTLY what my truck does...and it's driving me INSANE!

Anyone else have this problem??

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just got a call from Schwabs. They are thinking it's my struts. Is this possible given the fact I have have 30,000 miles on those struts??

·
Registered
323 Posts
Try pushing down on your front bumper at each corner. If you feel the truck rebound, then stop quickly, then it is probably your struts. They are not providing any dampening, and they hit their extended limit. When they hit the limit, you will feel it inside. You can also feel it when bouncing the front bumper. Good luck.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Yes, the front struts can be worn out in 30k miles or less.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I crawled under the truck today....When you push up on the truck from underneath you can hear a "clunk" on the up and down. You can also feel it when your pushing on it. I'm hoping it's the struts, because i'm about to bite the bullet and buy some new ones. Do you guys think thats what it is?

1 - 20 of 85 Posts