Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have the towing package on my truck, but say i wanted to tow a couple of jetskis to the river that probably was a couple thousand pounds. Would i have to buy a hitch or something of that sort or could a ball just be placed onto the bumper since i'm not towing that much weight?

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
For less than 5000pds total...you can use a Class III hitch setup and be perfectly fine. Keep in mind towing smaller trailers vice larger trailers are trickier when backing up and if no sway control is on your setup and you go too fast you can have just as many problems. Keep your speed 'reasonable' and you will be just fine :cheers:

Chris

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would avoid towing off the bumper for a few reasons.

1. I have seen a lot of mangled bumpers as they are not as strong as a hitch even of the same weight rating

2. Manuverability...having a hitch makes "jack knifing" much harder to do saving you some more bumper damage. The hitch moves the turning point away from the bumper.

3. Trailer level...the bumper on the titan is way too tall to do this...for my 3500lb boat I had to get a 5.5 inch drop off of my hitch so it would run level. If your trailer is not level you will get trailer sway.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Ti-tan said:
I would avoid towing off the bumper for a few reasons.

1. I have seen a lot of mangled bumpers as they are not as strong as a hitch even of the same weight rating

2. Manuverability...having a hitch makes "jack knifing" much harder to do saving you some more bumper damage. The hitch moves the turning point away from the bumper.

3. Trailer level...the bumper on the titan is way too tall to do this...for my 3500lb boat I had to get a 5.5 inch drop off of my hitch si it would be level. If it is not level you will get trailer sway at faster speeds.
I have to agree, get the Nissan hitch, it's worth the piece of mind.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Derwud said:
I have to agree, get the Nissan hitch, it's worth the piece of mind.
Ditto that...

·
Registered
67 Posts
MaxPowers said:
I don't have the towing package on my truck, but say i wanted to tow a couple of jetskis to the river that probably was a couple thousand pounds. Would i have to buy a hitch or something of that sort or could a ball just be placed onto the bumper since i'm not towing that much weight?
BUY THE NISSAN TOW HITCH/RECEIVER

After buying the Nissan Class III hitch/receiver to my surprise it is the exact hitch from the BIG TOW package with the plugs and relays for the factory wires also included! I installed mine alone in under 20 minutes. It is a little heavy about 50 lbs.! The kit includes the 6 bolts, 2 relays and the 7 pin connector. On the detailed installation instructions and specs sheet it even lists the same 9500lbs rating. We (with out BT option) are limited to 7500 lbs. due to the higher rear axle ratio, but we should be getting better gas mileage when not towing. I could take pictures of it if needed but it is the same as the one you have seen at the dealership. :upsidedow

and she said that size doesn't matter!

·
Registered
85 Posts
MZ3Cosmo said:
BUY THE NISSAN TOW HITCH/RECEIVER

After buying the Nissan Class III hitch/receiver to my surprise it is the exact hitch from the BIG TOW package with the plugs and relays for the factory wires also included! I installed mine alone in under 20 minutes. It is a little heavy about 50 lbs.! The kit includes the 6 bolts, 2 relays and the 7 pin connector. On the detailed installation instructions and specs sheet it even lists the same 9500lbs rating. We (with out BT option) are limited to 7500 lbs. due to the higher rear axle ratio, but we should be getting better gas mileage when not towing. I could take pictures of it if needed but it is the same as the one you have seen at the dealership. :upsidedow

and she said that size doesn't matter!

How much did you pay???

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
That should be a Class IV hitch. Part # 999T5-WQ100. MSRP is $229.00

1 - 9 of 9 Posts