Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone wired a set of "off road" rights to turn on / off with the OEM fogs?

·
Registered
869 Posts
Why would you want to? Fogs and offroads serve two completely different purposes. Wire the offroads to come on with the high beams.

·
Super Moderator
161,868 Posts
I'd wire them independent of any lights, just to be able to manually turn them on when the ignition is on, but that's just me. It'd be easy to get them to come on with the fogs though. Tap the power lead going into one of the fogs and use that to trigger your relay controlling the offroad lights.

·
Banned
1,550 Posts
Yeah just t tap into them... Easy haha

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why would you want to? Fogs and offroads serve two completely different purposes. Wire the offroads to come on with the high beams.
Wasn't sure if I wanted to, just wanted to know if any one had and how. At this point I'm not sure if I want to add driving lights on the bull bar or fogs, or ???? Mostly i love the way they look. But if i have something, I also want it to be useful. We don't get too much fog here in Oklahoma, so I am thinking a driving light would be best. Might also be better to just wire a separate switch for them as others have mentioned.

So, how hard is it to run a new switch?

·
Super Moderator
161,868 Posts
Very easy. Get a power lead from the interior fuse box (under the glove box) by using a mini add-a-circuit. I used the one that runs the power outlet that's only on with the ignition. Run that power out through a switch to your relay trigger. Easiest way out of the cab with this one wire is through the grommet at the parking brake cable. Your relay will also have a ground (pick one under the hood), a fused lead from your battery and the outgoing power lead to your lights which are then grounded to complete the circuit.

Edit to add a diagram to help you out.

Reactions: Soonerdude

·
Registered
869 Posts
Wasn't sure if I wanted to, just wanted to know if any one had and how. At this point I'm not sure if I want to add driving lights on the bull bar or fogs, or ???? Mostly i love the way they look. But if i have something, I also want it to be useful. We don't get too much fog here in Oklahoma, so I am thinking a driving light would be best. Might also be better to just wire a separate switch for them as others have mentioned.

So, how hard is it to run a new switch?
I have the KC Daylighter offroad lights on my push bar and wired them with a switch to the high beams. This way I can go regular high beam or turn the switch on and go high beams + Daylighters.
I don't see any need to have the Daylighters on unless the high beams are on as well.

·
Super Moderator
161,868 Posts
Because with your high beams, you lose your fogs. There are lots of reasons I'd want to throw as much light as possible.

·
Premium Member
5,016 Posts
I have a set of offroad lights and I just tapped into the parking light control power to kick the relay, that way I don't leave them on anymore and drain my battery. And just a quick bit of advice for the connectors, get some di-electric grease and put it in the connectors as well as put it on the ground screws that you use. It will help alleviate a potential headache.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
I run my lights off the Fog light switch using a relay.....The fog lights are mostly for looks, don't run them and they're not needed around here....

·
Registered
193 Posts
If you want to keep it wired to your factory driving light switch, either eliminate the OEM lights, or run a jumper wire off them to a relay that will trigger them to turn on(relay will take power directly from battery to lights when triggered). This way the power for your new lights is not the same source as the ones powering your oem lights. It only takes a very small amt of power to trigger a relay, and will keep you from frying your wires as would result from pulling too much current through the OEM wires to try to power 4 lights.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have my driving lights wired to the headlight switch. I can have them on with low beams or high beams.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts