Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tyler Ford does a lot of local commercials, which is funny to me since I know who the sales manager is, and to see him in the commercial, well its just odd.

Anyways, I saw their new one tonight. Guy gets out of an F-150 and says he likes it a lot, but wants to check out the competition, to which the salesman points out the "Row of pickup Trucks". They have all 5 Trucks on display, all brand new, all test driveable, on their lot ready for you to look at them.

These aren't used trucks they just happen to have on the lot, brand new trucks. They sound pretty dam sure of themselves. Either way, I think its a great idea. I might go down there tomorrow to see what version of the Titan they are carrying. I wouldn't put it past them to have base level pickups of their competitors, but it will be interesting to see.

·
Registered
108 Posts
That is a first for me. However, like you said they probably only have the base models of the other trucks.

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Im interested to see what your findings are!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Im interested to see what your findings are!
I would be interested as well. I think that is a novel approach for a dealership. Let us know if they are comparing apples to apples. I should think that mid-level rigs would be the best as they are the best sellers across the line. i.e. SE for the Titan, XLT for the Ford...etc. If more people drove a Titan when they were shopping, I bet you the sales would be higher even with every one else's new designs.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I would think the Titan would stand out if they are all base models since all Titan's come with one of the best engine/tranny combo standard. I agree with dmi, if more people drove a Titan then I'm sure sales would be higher. Most people won't even give it a chance because of all the "horror" stories. I wonder how many people will wander off to the Nissan dealership after test driving them...

·
Registered
15 Posts
If more people drove a Titan when they were shopping, I bet you the sales would be higher even with every one else's new designs.
I had been in the market for a used truck about 3 weeks. I went to my dodge dealership to try and find a used Ram and they just happened to have an 04 Titan. I'd never really even considered buying a Titan, but for some reason I test drove it. That day I quit looking at Rams and a week later bought my first Titan. I've had it for 3 days now and its by far the nicest truck I've owned. I really think that if more people would give it a chance and test drive one, it would give the ford a run for their money.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'd definetly agree about getting people to test drive the TITAN when i was shopping for a used truck i was looking at the chevy crew cab 1/2 tons they just seemed so run of the mill i got bored looking at them plus every other truck i saw around town was a chevy the fords were a little better nice ride nice features just freakin gutless then a guy at the carlot asked me what i thought of the TITANS i said dont know never really even considered them well i went for a test drive and that was it started shopping for my "T" about three months later found my T couldn't get the money out off my pocket quick enough i've had 1 issue with the truck blew out the front differential last winter but fixed under warranty

·
Registered
9,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I went by the dealership today, and checked out what they had. I gotta say I was surprised, they had high end model of all the competition. The Titan was a 2wd LE model 09. In fact, the only one they had without leather was the Tundra, and that was because their directive was to get trucks all about the same price 35-40k I think.

While I was there I feigned interest in the new F150, kinda had to I think. I can honestly say, I was surprised. Some good, some bad. The interior was actually pretty comfortable, and it was HUGE! Way bigger than my Titan. A lot of nice internal features, creature comforts aplenty (except one touch down and both front windows, and no one touch up, silly but where the hell was it?). I personally don't like the windows on the front doors. The fact that it is not straight across to me, is a little silly, and uncomfortable to roll the window down and rest your arm on it. I don't much like the way the tailgate looks, but I do like the "man step". Howie Long might not like it, but Im not a 6'5" former linebacker, Im 5'9", and thats a tall freaking tailgate to jump in and out of.

The engine still needs work. It has no get up and go from a dead stop, it feels like its power band is set up to be mid range power, passing power I guess. I don't know why you can't have both, my Titan does.

Finally, wholly frakking expensive batman. Load it up with options, and you can very quickly break $40k and get awfully close to $45k on a mid range 4wd truck. Thats just too much in my mind.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
They are all nice and have features I like and dislike. The sticker price is all about the same but when you try and haggle price, get discounts and cash back you will get a Titan or any Nissan cheaper. The big 3 laugh at haggleing and Toyota just snubs their nose at you. yeah it might hurt resale value down the road if you drive a vehicle for 2 0r 3 years and swap out then keep blowing money up front. If your in it for the long hual, then save the money up front.

What kills me about the Ram is the coil spring rear suspension. If I want a car like ride I will buy a car. All power and can only pull 6500lbs I think. Still when you think about it look at pre 2005 1/2 ton trucks from the big 3. They were all wimpy on towing specks and power except for the Ram Hemi. Then the Titan comes around and the Ford and GM step it up and Dodge goes in reverse. still believe the Titan has set the bar for these new trucks and I wish Nissan would raise it again.

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Titans didnt sell nearly as well as the tundra.. it's all about marketing.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Titans didnt sell nearly as well as the tundra.. it's all about marketing.
the tundras are going through the same thing the titan once went through. It had its peak and then slowly declined.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
the tundras are going through the same thing the titan once went through. It had its peak and then slowly declined.
Your right a guy I work with is dieing to get into a new 4x4 Tundra and he can't find any here localy that he wants. Yeah he drinks the Toyota Coolaid.

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
I see tundras just as common as f150 and ram. And it boggles my mind because they are such crap trucks!!

·
Registered
989 Posts
I see tundras just as common as f150 and ram. And it boggles my mind because they are such crap trucks!!
But you forgot one thing, its a Toyota. A lot of people will buy a vehicle because it is a Toyota, which is riding on its past quality now days...

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
I know but don't people test drive anymore?? the ride alone in that thing sucks ***..I could understand the Joe going from an F250 to a Tunrda..but now any 1/2 ton guys!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts