Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
First Titan I've ever had. Concerning the locking differential. When I engage the differential, the lock light on the dash just flashes. Is this normal, or should it remain lit once the differential is engaged? The owners manual doesn't really go into detail.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
It only works in 4Lo
Stop, put your transmission in Neutral. Shift to 4 LO. You should hear the front differential engage. Then, turn on the E-locker switch. You may need to move forward or back just a bit for it to engage. Light should go on steady when locked.
Only use it on surfaces that allow the tires to slip if you make a turn. With the axles locked together, you will have no differential for turning on hard surfaces.

Reactions: agnostic x

·
Registered
14,137 Posts
the instructions are also on the small visor behind the big visor i believe. its on one of those.

You can do a wire bypass mod that lets you lock the diff in 2wd.... :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I tried locking again, in 4LO and in neutral, rocked her back & forth...the Diff. light just blinks. I might actually have an issue. I did go thru high water last week. Where is the electrical connection so I can clean it out? Is it on the Differential (before I crawl under there to see...I'm not that young anymore :lol: )
Thanks

·
Registered
912 Posts
I thought mine was broken too one time cuz it would just blink. But it actually too several sharp stabs of the throttle in forward and reverse. Kind of annoying. Hopefully you don't have a legit problem.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,137 Posts
its finicky sometimes no doubt. The times i don't need it to work it usually wont engage immediately, but when i actually use it, its on point and locks up real quick lol

·
Premium Member
...08 Pro4X...
71,527 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,938 Posts
The rear differential e-locker actuator is on the top/passenger side of the differential.

Reactions: South Titan

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
If you found the wiring to the differential, then you located the switch that activates the dash light when locked. DO NOT REMOVE this switch. It has a larger diameter end that rides under the e-locker magnetically actuated plate. If you manage to remove it, you will have to pull the differential out to replace it.

Next question for the OP. Did you try driving on pavement after you tried to lock the differential? If you try to turn, you will get excessive binding, and some tire chirp from the inside tire on the rear tires if it is locked. You won't get this if it is not locked.
It could be that it is locked, but the indicator switch is bad.

PS ONLY DRIVE AT LOW SPEED...ON DIRT WOULD BE THE BEST PLACE TO TRY THIS.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
DO NOT REMOVE this switch. It has a larger diameter end that rides under the e-locker magnetically actuated plate. If you manage to remove it, you will have to pull the differential out to replace it.
I didn't remove the switch, and I'm glad you wrote of this. I was thinking of removing the plug and cleaning as I drove though high water recently. My thinking is water got into the plug, and I was going to clean the inside of the plug with WD-40.

However, I've decided not to and leave as is. The differential will lock if I "stab" the gas pedal in forward and reverse.

Because the lock was probably designed to engage on non-pavement, like mud, it will probably engage better in that environment. At the time, I was testing engagement on a hard surface.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I didn't remove the switch, and I'm glad you wrote of this. I was thinking of removing the plug and cleaning as I drove though high water recently. My thinking is water got into the plug, and I was going to clean the inside of the plug with WD-40.

However, I've decided not to and leave as is. The differential will lock if I "stab" the gas pedal in forward and reverse.

Because the lock was probably designed to engage on non-pavement, like mud, it will probably engage better in that environment. At the time, I was testing engagement on a hard surface.
Thanks

It should lock on any surface. The magnetic coil pulls the locking plate in, and it locks the spider gears. You can unplug the wires, just don't take the switch out of the housing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts