Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Why did Nissan leave the fuel tank so insecure? Anyway...anybody have a locking fuel cap? I just found one at Courtesy and I'm thinking of getting it.

Am I paranoid? :huh:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yeah, that surprised me, too. I think I'll get one, myself. Don't need a tank full of sugar. Would you mind posting the link?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Step Up said:
Why did Nissan leave the fuel tank so insecure? Anyway...anybody have a locking fuel cap? I just found one at Courtesy and I'm thinking of getting it.

One of the first things I noticed when I first started looking at the Titan. I had it on my Tundra. However it was the only thing I thought they could have added, after all there's one on the utility door.

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Step Up said:

I don't particularly like locking doors that cover the gas cap. I think on the Tundra you have the hassel of having to pull out a key every time you gas up. Other vehicles have a release cable. If you are worried about people siphoning gas out, most new vehicles have anti-siphoning devices built into the tank. The locking doors offer very little protection. I've seen people show me how easy it is to get in with a screwdriver. I like what Nissan did with the Titan. No inconveience with keys or cable releases for those who don't like them, but a secure aftermarket cap available. If you buy a locking gas cap for the Tundra to have decent protection that means you have to unlock two things every time you gas up.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would prefer a release cable myself. I'm not worried about someone stealing fuel; I'm concerned with someone putting something into the fuel. You never know when some envirofreak will spot you at the shops or something....I also have to worry about a 12yo that I'm feuding with (I really should grow up :upsidedow ).

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Step Up said:
I would prefer a release cable myself. I'm not worried about someone stealing fuel; I'm concerned with someone putting something into the fuel. You never know when some envirofreak will spot you at the shops or something....I also have to worry about a 12yo that I'm feuding with (I really should grow up :upsidedow ).
The locking cap is still better. Cable release doors are THE easiest for mischief makers to get through.

·
Registered
473 Posts
A word of caution. If you do not get a proper seal on the gas cap, you will have the engine light turn on. $35 to reset (according to warning from dealer)

"The engine light will come on if you fill the truck with the engine running, or do not fully close the gas cap. You always have to go 3 clicks or else it costs you $35 to reset the light."

·
Registered
152 Posts
Doghouse said:
A word of caution. If you do not get a proper seal on the gas cap, you will have the engine light turn on. $35 to reset (according to warning from dealer)

"The engine light will come on if you fill the truck with the engine running, or do not fully close the gas cap. You always have to go 3 clicks or else it costs you $35 to reset the light."
Disconnecting the negative battery lead for several hours won't reset the ECU and thus the "Check Engine" light? I'm surprised......this works on most vehicles.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The owner manual states that if you run out of gas after filling the check engine light will lit. It then says that it will reset itself after several miles driven. Wouldn't it also make since that the unsealed gas cap would auto reset after corrective actions were taken. Like the manual states it might take awhile!

Someone with more time on thier hands then I should try this :)

·
Registered
497 Posts
happen to me on my last truck, i couldnt find what was wrong after a good while searching. frustrated i read the manual in and out. found out a cel light gets trown if your cap pops off (no not what your thinking) , since evaporating gasses dont help gas mileage lol. the light went off after 100 miles or so.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I bought a locking one for my Frontier from Pep Boys. Stant locking cap, even the correct number listed. It did not seal correctly I guess. After a day or two the SES light came on. I switched back to the old cap and after a day or two at the most the SES light went out. I still kept the locking cap for when I have to park for a long time or overnight in any questionable area or around undesirable people. It works for that but not a good everyday cap. Others I know ordered from Courtesy and have had no SES problem with their cap and SES light.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I'll be gettin one because I am worried one of the (Big 3") psychos might add something to the tank to help even out the playing field.

Just something to think about....I'm not paranoid just believe in being prepared.

You guys think I'm paranoid?

·
Registered
278 Posts
I am definetly going to buy this item. I dont need anybody messing with my Titan. :gunz:

·
Registered
662 Posts
I just received the locking gas cap yesterday. Works great although it doesn't have the provision for the gas cap cable. Otherwise I am very happy with it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts