Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I have a 2005 SE with the off road package that just turned 90K it's completely stock except for the trailer brake, rear diff (3 months old) and cat back. The brakes and rotors are about 9 months old. I change the oil regularly using the mobile one extended life. I am planning a trip to Canada that will be about 2000 miles round trip in late May. I will be toe a 3000 pound tandem axle car trailer with 4 ATV's as well as 3 other adults, hunting gear, and food and water. In total I would guess I’ll be at the 8,000 pound mark for everything. Tires are new as of October I plan on the following before we leave:

Oil Change
Transmission Fluid change
New serpentine belt
Adding Redline water wetter to the cooling system

I need to take the truck in for some of the more recent recalls so I was thinking on having them do the tranny. As well as potentially putting in the factory transmission temperature gauge.

So here is my bevy of questions:

1 - Any idea if an aftermarket temp gauge would be easy to install
2 - What kind of mileage should I expect (plan on all highway with cruise set at 65)
3 - Anything else I should consider, perhaps new plugs, or an intake to increase mileage.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
1) I would guess there's a place to just plug in the temp gauge?
2)Guessing 8-10 mpg. I get 11mpg's with 6"lift and 35's and an 800lb tool box in the bed.
3)Intake couldn't hurt

Good wipers?
Also, I recently added AirLift bags in the rear. Made a great differance for me, no more headlights in the trees.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
All,

I have a 2005 SE with the off road package that just turned 90K it's completely stock except for the trailer brake, rear diff (3 months old) and cat back. The brakes and rotors are about 9 months old. I change the oil regularly using the mobile one extended life. I am planning a trip to Canada that will be about 2000 miles round trip in late May. I will be toe a 3000 pound tandem axle car trailer with 4 ATV's as well as 3 other adults, hunting gear, and food and water. In total I would guess I’ll be at the 8,000 pound mark for everything. Tires are new as of October I plan on the following before we leave:

Oil Change
Transmission Fluid change
New serpentine belt
Adding Redline water wetter to the cooling system

I need to take the truck in for some of the more recent recalls so I was thinking on having them do the tranny. As well as potentially putting in the factory transmission temperature gauge.

So here is my bevy of questions:

1 - Any idea if an aftermarket temp gauge would be easy to install
2 - What kind of mileage should I expect (plan on all highway with cruise set at 65)
3 - Anything else I should consider, perhaps new plugs, or an intake to increase mileage.
My first thoughts aren't on gas mileage but on safety.
A brake controller would be a nice addition.
Towing anything substantial like that is going to put your mpg down to 10-11 mpg at 65 mph.
No intake is going to give you a boost in gas mileage.
A transmission temp gauge can be done easily with a new transmission cover by PML for example.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Brake controler
BDGT that will give you a little more juice and then you have a trainy temp gauge.
Air bags if you are going to be using the bed for a lot of items, keep in mind you will not want all your cloths and gear in the trialer getting tire spray, mud flung

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All,

Thanks for the response so far, I didn't make it clear, I have a brake controller, essentially I have teh big tow package without the mirrors and temp guage, i bought the Nissan class 4 reciver and the off road package has the big tow rear end. Any thought on spark plugs? I am going to research the trans pan for the added volume, if i go that route is it still a 4th gear tow or can i go up to 5th with the extra fluid?

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
-Just do a drain & fill on the trans. Flushing the trans. is not recommended.

-It is possible to run an aftermarket trans temp gauge. Make sure you buy a "short sweep" gauge, as a "long sweep" gauge will not work.

Such a this one that i'm am going to get:
Auto Meter AM-7149 C2 Series 2-1/16" Trans Temp 100-250 F

This is a message from Autometer regarding the installation of one of their trans gauges into a Titan, using the test port on the side of the trans case:

Below is the email from Autometer. According to their email. It looks lke you'll need part # 2259 sender and the #2269 adapter.

"I am sorry we do not manufacture the sender with those threads. There is a solution. You may use the 2259 sender (same as what you have but probe-less), and then thread that into a #2269 adapter. Due to you using a pressure port, the probe-less sender will not be a problem."

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Well, the replies covered the preventive maintenance items, but it wouldn't hurt to bring a spare radiator and complete rear axle assembly with you on the trip.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Well, the replies covered the preventive maintenance items, but it wouldn't hurt to bring a spare radiator and complete rear axle assembly with you on the trip.

LOL, I was thinking the same thing. Maybe re-build the rear axle w/TruTrac prior to departure.

http://nissannut.com/projects/d40_locker/

Just noticed that "rear diff is 3 months old" So if that is a 2008+ rear axle you are probably good to go.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
how do you know you have the Big Tow gears? The offroad package doesn't come with just the gears does it? Look on the rear end and see if it says 3:36. Everybody have the "Tow Mode" button under the radio, thats not saying you have the lower gear ratio.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Luckily or unlukily, i have already put the truetrac in, the 2005 Off Road version came from the factory with the big tow rear end only, it was also an electric locker before the truetrac went in. Regarding the radiator, it's about 3 or 4 years old, had it replaced under warreny due to a leak on the side seam.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I did some more research, I am going with the PML pan, and a CSF 3328 radiator. I think that is the best insurance I can get for overheating without going overboard. I also plan on getting the autometer trans tem gauge, I think an A pillar mount would be the cleanest. So with the added cooling capacity and durability do you think 5th gear towing is still out of the question? Additionally, what tranmisssion temps are considerd normal and what would be hot? Finally whats everyone running for trans fluid pro's con's?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Stay in 4th gear for 8k pounds period... I wouldn't use anything other than matic fluid in the trans

·
Premium Member
20,599 Posts
I'm running AMSoil ATF. But I haven't had a chance to test it out by towing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So here's where I am at, I changed the plugs, serpentine belt, a new all aluminum radiator, the PML trans pan, CAI, and the trans temp gauge. All this on top of the superchips tuner, a banks cat back and a 6 month old trutrac. I finished the gauge last night and took it for a test drive and the highest temps I saw were 115 degree's, the ambient temperature was 29 degrees, so my question is what are the average operating temperatures you are seeing when read from the PML pan?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts