Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2wd 04 with under 95,000 miles on it and the drivers manifold is cracked,
I am on a bit of a budget and can't get up the money for the Headers and install and uprev
so I was wondering if anyone has not used uprev or maybe a cheaper chip or any issues
with just running long tubes??

If I could afford the complete set up from Cajun I would but I need the headers done by spring. :serious:

·
Vendor
7,921 Posts
Your gonna be hard pressed to find a better price than my stage 1 package. The better name brand manifolds out there cost more than the entire stage 1 package i.e. Magnaflow at $900 each, which suck worse than stock. The 04 is a non flex so it will be lean and every truck is different but some have burned valves not tuning. Sorry man but most will tell you that tuning is required to be safe.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Your gonna be hard pressed to find a better price than my stage 1 package. The better name brand manifolds out there cost more than the entire stage 1 package i.e. Magnaflow at $900 each, which suck worse than stock. The 04 is a non flex so it will be lean and every truck is different but some have burned valves not tuning. Sorry man but most will tell you that tuning is required to be safe.

Are you saying that possibly on some of the newer models there could be he possibility to run them safely without a tune?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
741 Posts
Are you saying that possibly on some of the newer models there could be he possibility to run them safely without a tune?

Ehhh, "safely" is a relative term I'd say. I ran my 2010 flex fuel for maybe 3-4 months without much issue, but it's never encouraged to do so. If I could do it all over again, I would just recommend waiting until you can afford the full setup. In my opinion it should be done as a package deal, but I understand the necessity of getting headers done if your manifolds go. Not recommended without flex fuel, and certainly not for an extended period of time. That being said...your vehicle, your risk.

Reactions: MTKross

·
Registered
27 Posts
I ran my headers without the tune for 2 weeks. The truck ran alright as far as I could tell. However I went in to retorque my headers and found them rainbowed from getting way too hot. Also the volume the exhaust made running lean was unbearable. If you want to keep the truck then you will want an uprev tune with a set of headers.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
455 Posts
Your Wideband will be reading only one output vs stock reading 4 combined, so it will be lean.
Either you need to create a circuit gate to raise the readings or get a tune.

No cats however, may be an issue with CEL.

A tune will not fix the missing cats, no tuner will offer to block that code, however, where there is a will there is a way. (hint)

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Your Wideband will be reading only one output vs stock reading 4 combined, so it will be lean.
Either you need to create a circuit gate to raise the readings or get a tune.

No cats however, may be an issue with CEL.

A tune will not fix the missing cats, no tuner will offer to block that code, however, where there is a will there is a way. (hint)
Well UpRev used to block codes, so if you have any older ROM file it still blocks it. Now though, it won't so you have a stupid engine light on even though you've corrected for it.

Like multiple people have said from your other thread asking this same question... It's your truck and it can be done, but it's not safe to do so. It's also not really noticeable until you burn up your engine.

·
Banned
319 Posts
My brother, Danny is doing this . He has a 2011 KC Flex Fuel Titan. 2 years ago he installed a set of Doug Thorley long tube headers. Sure he has his CEL on sometimes but then go off. I told him to up rev it but he says it ain't worth the money. We know his truck is running a little fat but that ain't gonna hurt anything. He does what he does. He's got a fast Titan. [email protected] 76+ mph in the 1/8 mile.

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
My brother, Danny is doing this . He has a 2011 KC Flex Fuel Titan. 2 years ago he installed a set of Doug Thorley long tube headers. Sure he has his CEL on sometimes but then go off. I told him to up rev it but he says it ain't worth the money. We know his truck is running a little fat but that ain't gonna hurt anything. He does what he does. He's got a fast Titan. [email protected] 76+ mph in the 1/8 mile.
Don't listen to him....

·
Registered
455 Posts
Bart , I have heard there is youtube videos of how to wire in stuff to the rear 02 to make the ECM think the cats are working. I can not confirm nor deny what is needed or if it works :/

·
Premium Member
...08 Pro4X...
71,643 Posts

·
Banned
319 Posts
This is to you jessielivengood. I have 2 dumbasses that troll me. What I responded to you was 100 percent truth. 3 things I will never do. Lie, cheat or steal. I am a man of my word. Troll that TROLLS! You take care Jessie. God bless.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Based on the known laws of physics applicable to internal combustion engines, I'm going to call BS. For a motor to make best power and run great times in the eighth or quarter, a little rich is where you'd adjust it. An EFI motor with long tube headers added is going to flow more cfm of exhaust. That's going to lean the motor.

Back in the days of carbs, we had to re-jet the carb when we added headers. With EFI, you have to rewrite the fuel maps. Otherwise you are almost guaranteed to run lean, eventually burning a valve or even a piston if you're pushing it hard.

The fact that the CEL comes on periodically tells you it's not right.

Reactions: Pale Rider

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
This is to you jessielivengood. I have 2 dumbasses that troll me. What I responded to you was 100 percent truth. 3 things I will never do. Lie, cheat or steal. I am a man of my word. Troll that TROLLS! You take care Jessie. God bless.
Your getting "trolled" because 95% (I think that's being generous) of the information you provide, goes completely against the known facts from the most knowledgeable people on this forum.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Based on the known laws of physics applicable to internal combustion engines, I'm going to call BS. For a motor to make best power and run great times in the eighth or quarter, a little rich is where you'd adjust it. An EFI motor with long tube headers added is going to flow more cfm of exhaust. That's going to lean the motor.

Back in the days of carbs, we had to re-jet the carb when we added headers. With EFI, you have to rewrite the fuel maps. Otherwise you are almost guaranteed to run lean, eventually burning a valve or even a piston if you're pushing it hard.

I liked you referencing it to an engine with a carb. Re-writing the fuel maps vs going to a bigger jet in a carb is a good example! Thanks

·
Registered
1,458 Posts

an engine on the edge (leaner) makes good power. The added fuel to control heat and deto (aside from timing)

we`ve come close to running the engines on the edge in a different application, and one hiccup, boom goes the motor. a little rich slows you down, protects the engine, but to much fuel will do a lot of damage with fuel dilution...
it`s always best to just get it right, for what it needs...

I do miss the carb days! and mechanical timing! lol...:cheers:

·
Registered
455 Posts
an engine on the edge (leaner) makes good power. The added fuel to control heat and deto (aside from timing)

we`ve come close to running the engines on the edge in a different application, and one hiccup, boom goes the motor. a little rich slows you down, protects the engine, but to much fuel will do a lot of damage with fuel dilution...
it`s always best to just get it right, for what it needs...
Pale you are right. I had a 89 civic, 60 bore polished crank JR supercharger ported yadda. I wired in a 88 integra ECU and rolled with it for quite some time till that 'hiccup' and like a rabbit out of a hat there was a quarter sized hole in one piston.

Long story short, tune it with long tubes or relocate the O2 after the collector part or blow it up!

One more thing, hope you are having a shop do it because if not, you will need a helper, alot of drinks and a hell of a level head when all goes south!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts