Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm tired of people dismissing the Tundra out of hand so I thought I'd go down the list and do a comparo of the two trucks to see what advantages either had, if any.

First off, the new Titans have barely any dfference from the old ones... some new wheels, the gauge cluster looks different, the buttons on the steering wheel, and the center console, but that's about it. It disappointed me, as well, that there weren't more big tow trucks on the Nissan lot... what are these people thinking?!

Then, I headed over to the Tundra lot, and started looking at the trucks that they had there. There were only a couple that were open, but I managed to find one that was about my same model, 4-door, back-up sensors, although it did have the smaller 4.7 litre engine.

That was the biggest thing that I noticed. The 5.7 is only available on the higher end models, and I didn't see one on a truck below 38000 dollars. This is crap. Your run of the mill 17k dollar XE has the 5.6, what was Toyota thinking?

The interiors of the Tundras varied greatly and went from run of the mill Titan fabric to colored leather extraordinaire. My interior is by no means luxury material, and it didn't take much for the interior material of the Tundra to beat it out. I did have a complaint about the controls, though... the nicer ones are, once again, only available in your higher lever Tundras, and the lower level ones have gigantic Kia-esque knobs. Further, the layout was kind of odd. The steering wheel was set out nicely, but the center console was really weird and out of reach. There were also buttons with weird abbreviations all over the place... not a good thing for those that don't like reading their owner's manuals, apparently.

The final hit on the dash was the deeply set gauge pods. It would be good for keeping your wife from reminding you that the tank is almost empty... if you see that as a good thing. They look good straight on, but from an angle it's like they're hiding something. The orange dash of the Titan isn't much better, in fact, I think it sucks, but the new dashes are phospho blue? if I'm not mistaken so that's a step in the right direction.

The utilitrac-system on the Tundra is CHEAP! If you even played with Legos as a kid, then went over to your friend's house where they had the cheap knockoffs, you know what I'm talking about. They work, but they don't have the same quality. It really surprised me, I expected more from a Toyota. The bed has a lot of room with high walls, although I couldn't find one Tundra that had a bed liner. I love my bed liner to death and thank the lord every day I slam something down into my bed.

The big tow mirrors were something I really didn't expect. They looked alright when not pulled out, but when I pulled them out they looked goofy, like they were stuck on with something. I would compare them to the Chevy mirrors... Dodge and Nissan got it right (Ford too, that Nissan copied) with their designs. And the worst part? When I pulled the mirrors out, they let out a god-awful SQEUUUUUUUUK like a goose getting strangled. Some WD 40 might silence these down a bit, but it was an unpleasant surprise.

The final point I noticed was the prices. The most expensive Titan on the lot was a packed to the gills LE for 42k. The most expensive Tundra was similarly packaged, for 48k. But it didn't even have a bed liner!

The Tundra that was most similar to my truck listed for 32k. There was a very similar Titan on the lot for 29k. And remember, the Tundra still had the 4.7 and the Titan had the 5.6. Big difference.

Anyway, I'm sure that there are plenty of people to pick apart my observations so pick away. I'm just tired of the simplistic posts like "I test drove a Tundra and it was fast but boy is it still ugly". I'm sorry I didn't get to test drive the thing but most people know the Tundra (with the bigger engine) is faster. Hope this helps.

Andrew

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well, did you see a Titan longbed?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I,m looking to buy a new truck in the next few weeks...Looked and drove both titan and tundra..All the tundas by me have bedliners and the 5.7...I agree with you about the interior....Too much going on...and the 5.7 trundra feels faster...BUT...with the titans utility bed package,and lower price,[[about 4000.]].you get more for your money with the titan...So i,m going with the titan.....The probem by me is all the titans up by me are long beds....I want a cc short bed....

·
Registered
5,338 Posts
ablexus said:
That was the biggest thing that I noticed. The 5.7 is only available on the higher end models, and I didn't see one on a truck below 38000 dollars. This is crap. Your run of the mill 17k dollar XE has the 5.6, what was Toyota thinking?

Andrew
That's not true...I test drove a single cab, base model white 5.7L tundra that stickered right under $25,000.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
There was a Crewmax parked by me today and if that huge SOB gets the mpg they say it does they did something right.I don't care for the looks of it but it would be my second choice.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yea, the tundra is pricey and the interior is a little odd. Look like they tried to over do it. Thats why I went with a Titan.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
AgTitan06 said:
That's not true...I test drove a single cab, base model white 5.7L tundra that stickered right under $25,000.
Yeah, I had this conversation the other day with Skyhammer. Show me a king cab base model with the big engine and I'll go drive one. My Titan was 16500.00 end of the model year, end of the month. Show me a Toyota with the same features at a similar price and I'll have a look but until then I will stay off the lot. Too much money for not enough truck. Nissan got it right, 4 seats, big engine, base model.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Seen some good advertising deals in the paper the other week, brand new 2007 Titan CC SE 4x4 (semi loaded I guess) for $23k. Don't think your gonna find a decently optioned crewmax with the 5.7 for anywhere near that price. The price Toyota wants for those high end Tundra's you can buy a 07 Megacab with the 6.7L Cummins and a factory lift with tires and covered under warranty.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
''First off, the new Titans have barely any dfference from the old ones... some new wheels, the gauge cluster looks different, the buttons on the steering wheel, and the center console, but that's about it. It disappointed me,''

Why would that disappoint you? The Titan is in it's 4th model year and has changed twice, once with HP and now with the re-do of the interior, a long bed CC and the Pro 4 package. That's more than Ford and GM do in their 10 year stent of truck designs. The rest of the MFG's including Toyota are playing catch up and None IMO have surpassed the Titan except for the Tundra and only in HP.

The last few weeks I was with my Dad as he examined all the trucks and bought a 2007 Titan. Plain and simple it's the best value for the dollar.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
dont know if you saw the pro 4x but that one i personally think is much nicer then the other titans upgraded interior think looks great bigger brakes longer bed still cheaper and nicer then the tundra. And much more comfortable i might add.

·
Registered
639 Posts
nytitan1 said:
dont know if you saw the pro 4x but that one i personally think is much nicer then the other titans upgraded interior think looks great bigger brakes longer bed still cheaper and nicer then the tundra. And much more comfortable i might add.

The 4x looks bad ***! I saw one on the lot the other day and my wife had to pull me off the dealership lot by my ear!

Even though they have the smaller tires than the new 08 SE & LE... it looked taller and a lot meaner to me. Personally, I really dig the new gauge cluster. Looks sharp.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Shane06fl said:
''First off, the new Titans have barely any dfference from the old ones... some new wheels, the gauge cluster looks different, the buttons on the steering wheel, and the center console, but that's about it. It disappointed me,''

Why would that disappoint you?
Read the rest of the sentence, home slice!

ablexus said:
First off, the new Titans have barely any dfference from the old ones... some new wheels, the gauge cluster looks different, the buttons on the steering wheel, and the center console, but that's about it. It disappointed me, as well, that there weren't more big tow trucks on the Nissan lot... what are these people thinking?!
I was disappointed that there weren't more big tow trucks for sale, not that there were few changes.

Andrew

·
Registered
682 Posts
Shane06fl said:

Why would that disappoint you? The Titan is in it's 4th model year and has changed twice, once with HP and now with the re-do of the interior, a long bed CC and the Pro 4 package. That's more than Ford and GM do in their 10 year stent of truck designs. The rest of the MFG's including Toyota are playing catch up and None IMO have surpassed the Titan except for the Tundra and only in HP.

The last few weeks I was with my Dad as he examined all the trucks and bought a 2007 Titan. Plain and simple it's the best value for the dollar.
Nissan doesnt need to change it because they got it right the first time
:huh: . its about time toyota got it right in the full size trucks. they claim that there previous tundra is a full size. Sh*t park an 06 CC tundra next to my 06 titan and tell me its a full size. no dbout the new 5.7 tundra is fast, but for having damn near 80 more hp and a six gear its not that much faster.
. me personally am not company biassed coming to a nissan from a ford. i think the ford f150 is a great truck. it might not be the fastest but it does have some power, looks great and rides awesome. and lastley on the looks scale interior and exterior from a tundra, i would rather walk. its a pig

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
BlingAlong06 said:
and lastley on the looks scale interior and exterior from a tundra, i would rather walk. its a pig
well simplistically put, its ugly, but i don't know about walking. i'd just drive it with a brown bag over my head.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Until last year, I had owned an early 2004 Titan (SE, CC, 4x4, Off-road, Utility Bed and Big Tow). I loved the truck even though I had just about every problem that came down the line on those early trucks. So we had been without a truck for about a year before looking into buying another truck this spring. When we started looking we really weren't going to look at the Titan because the 2004 passenger seat had been so hard on the wife's back and the drivers seat wasn't very friendly for long hauls either (Nissan hadn't fixed this seat in any of it's lines (Titan, Armada or QX56) since they started building the full size lines). We drove EVERY full size truck, foreign and domestic, gas and diesel and were not overly impressed with any of them but almost settled for a Ford. Luckily, while waiting to get my family discount on the Ford, the first 2008 Titans showed up and we tried them hoping that they had finally fixed the seats. It was true love all over again.

We have just bought a 2008 Titan, Smoke, Pro-4x, CC, 4x4, Tow pkg, leather buckets, utility bed. The changes are not visibly in your face, but are actually there and quite good. The seats may look very similar but the improvements are very noticeable to my backside (especially the power passenger seat). The fabrics and leather are nicer, and the Pro-4x seat stitching really looks cool. The dash materials are also FAR better and seem to be put together with tighter lines. The white instruments on the Pro-4x are also a sweet upgrade. After crawling around a little under the truck there are also some changes under there, but without having the old and new truck side by, the only one that I will say for sure is the full dual exhaust all the way back to the muffler (just begging to be modified).

As for the Tundra, it did feel like it had good power, but the interior was a bit "strange", the seats were pretty hard in the leather trim, and it felt a little "floppy" on the road. The salesman actually tried to tell us that the Tundra was better because the frame was NOT fully boxed. ???? Plus the Toyota was pushing up into Ford SuperDuty Diesel territory on price.

Bottom line is IMHO, that Nissan is still building the best truck for the money even though it's still basically a 2004. Good design and engineering are aging very well.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I had the opportunity to walk thru a tundra lot the other day, unencumbered by sales staff I might add. That was refreshing in itself. Quite a pleasant experience.

Well, in looking at the tundras that they had I personally was not impressed with them. The front end looked like it wanted to be a dodge or ford. The body design just didn't do much for me. the whole truck just had a plain jane appearance to it.

In looking at the interior thru the windows it looked ok, but not enough to make me go running in and trade my hotrod Titan for one. I guess the 5.7 would be a good advantage but not worth it to me.

In looking at sticker prices, they seemed to start around 30k for the less endowed models and went into the 40's for more stuff. Couldn't find any similarily equipped like mine.

So, in short, I guess I will be satisfied with my titan. I have satisfied my curiosity to look. Now if I can get my parking brake fixed I will be happy again.

LoudPipes said:
Yea, the tundra is pricey and the interior is a little odd. Look like they tried to over do it. Thats why I went with a Titan.

·
Registered
62 Posts
This is such a difficult time to compare the Titan to the Tundra right now. A person almost has to be specific what model year they are comparing. I do believe that the new 08 Titan will end up comparing very well with the Tundra when the magazines finally do the heads up with the two of them. The little upgrades to the design and function of the truck, while not drastic in your face changes will keep or put it near or at the top of the heap. Do not downplay the significance of the larger brakes on the 08 model year. The Tundra always touts what BIG brakes the Tundra has. Because of the slightly smaller hub on the Titan, Nissan was able to put on larger pads while still using the same size rotor as the Tundra. Net effect is more total swept area which should give the Titan better braking performance. Wouldn't that be a hoot if the 08 Titan were able to beat the Tundra in braking performance. I didn't even get to the increased payload or revised rear springs.
Anyway, back to the design tweeks. That is what really separates the Titan from the Tundra. The design flow and function of the Titan is just better in my opinion. We did look at both on more than one occasion. Only did one test drive each though.
The 08 Titan is a comfortable, fast, well engineered, reasonably priced. usable truck.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I too looked at the Tundras prior to making my decision. My primary factors were looks and price. No matter how many times I tried to like the Tundra, I just couldn't (and keep in mind at this point I wasn't biased towards the Titan).

But really the final straw for me was the price. You just don't get as much bang for the buck with the Tundra (and arguably any Toyota). I believe Nissan has done a great job with offering quality vehicles with nice features while keeping them affordable and reasonable. Sure, we always want them cheaper but when you test the marketplace, Nissan does good.

Besides, some products such as Sony, Toyota, Nike, etc are always going to be higher...it's called brand marketing and apparently their name/logo is worth a little more money because at one time they made a helluva product for a great price and got recognized. Now you still get "good" quality, but not always the best, especially for the price you pay because of the name. I dunno....just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have also been looking to purchase a new truck. I'm currently in a 05 titan se cc. I have been looking at alot of tundras. I like the truck. The engine and tranny seem nice. I personnaly didn't feel like it had the extra 75hp though from my 05.

I thought the tundra's interior was nicer than the cloth in my se. The big things that stick out to me is alot of options that come standard on the se is optional on the comparable sr5 tundra. For example power pedals, 6 disc changer, steering wheel audio controls(need either a limited truck or jbl stereo $900 upgrade!), rear audio controls, temp guage/compass, rear sonar and the auto dimming rearview mirror. Sure the toyota dealer really tried to down play this with me. Yet to get all of this stuff( granted the jbl is a better stereo, but the steering wheel controls is what I want) it would be nearly acouple thousand in options! Before someone jumps in about the $200 6 disc upgrade, that is the deck only the steering wheel controls do not come with this model. If it did then it would be worth it.

A nit pick with both nissan and toyota is the lack of driving lights standard. They really should be on the se and sr5 models. Granted you can add them to a nissan for a few buck or really big bucks on a tundra. The standard wheels on the se and sr5 tundra are a big difference too. The se gets alloys and the tundra gets steel wheels. On the tundra alloys are a $900 upgrade or about $1100 with the trd package where you get your fog lights and some shocks.

After all this I still really like the tundra. If I could find a dealer who is willing to sell a truck for $1000 over invoice and allow me full blue book for my truck I would have one by now. Just the toyota deals are soo damn smug they have kinda turned me off to one. Another thing to remember is not all options are available in all regions. You can go to toyota site and do a build and price. Yet depending on your region your local dealer may not be able to get the truck that you want. I'm in a odd spot being in wisconsin. Wisconsin is the chicago region and 45mins away in dubuque, iowa and it's another region(st louis?) I can't think of it right now. WHats strange is for awhile the rebate was $1000 better in dubuque, ia. Plus trucks you see in the ia region typically have different options than dealers trucks in wisconsin will have. It's confusing and frustating.

After being pissed at yet another toyota dealer who was trying to rape me. I stopped at a nissan dealer. He urged me to check out a 08. I didn't do a test drive just sat in the cab and looked at stuff. To tell ya the truth I don't think I could have picked the 08's out of the 07's by just glancing at them. Inside you wouldn't be fooled. The cloth on the 08's is just as nice as the tundra's. I saw alot of little changes I liked. It was familar yet different. As others said it was what I would call refining the truck alittle. I seen the compass/temp is now in the mirror, power rear slider is where the compas used to be. The steering wheel controls were shaped differently. Overall I like the truck. I peaked in the window of a prox and the red stitching set it off. I really like that truck. Upgraded brakes are a nice touch. Does anyone know if anything was done to the rear end?

In closing, I really like the 08 titan and I think I may go price one. I wish the rebates were a bit better on them. I'm probly gonna buy a new truck here shortly. I'm very close to going back to another hemi. It's real hard to compete with the rebates they have, plus I don't haul as many people any more and with the dodge I can close the tailgate with my quad inside. Decisons, Decisions.

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
brif said:
In closing, I really like the 08 titan and I think I may go price one. I wish the rebates were a bit better on them. I'm probly gonna buy a new truck here shortly. I'm very close to going back to another hemi. It's real hard to compete with the rebates they have, plus I don't haul as many people any more and with the dodge I can close the tailgate with my quad inside. Decisons, Decisions.
Don't the 08 titans have an 8 foot bed? I am pretty sure you could get a king cab titan for less than a dodge, even with the rebates for dodge.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts