Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at purchasing an older 2008 Nissan Titan Pro-4x. It has 169k miles, but looks very clean on the interior & exterior, EXCEPT there's some rust I'm a little concerned about on the undercarriage. While I'm not clueless, I'm definitely not much of a mechanic, so I'm wondering what you guys think about this rust? Does it looks bad enough where I should probably stay away, or do you think this is mainly surface rust that could be cleaned up? From the free VIN checks I've done it seems to have been in the Greensboro, NC area for at least it's past 55k miles, so not really a big salt area, but maybe some. This would be my daily driver for hopefully at least three years to come. Just wanting to get some other opinions on it. Thanks a lot!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Thats not terrible, but it is of concern in the front. Figure you're going to want to replace the LCA at some point, and you're going to want new shocks sooner rather than later. If the rest of the truck is in excellent shape, I wouldn't let it worry me - but I'd use it to get enough off the price to swap the shocks for Bilsteins immediately (around $800-ish, at a shop, $400 if you do it yourself).

Reactions: busemans and noel55

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
LMAO for as old and the miles in that truck that ain’t rust. I have seen and owned Titans way worse and I mean way worse than that I live in eastern PA salt is an alternate road surface. That truck is cherry for it age. The rust that is there can be taken care if easily but to be honest I don’t see that rust being an issue for a long time. If it’s under neath May clan the spots and brush rust stop on the spots and primer and paint. I really did my tow hitch, tow hooks and brushed some rust stop on some other areas on my current truck and it’s holding up perfect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
97 Posts
that rust is fine... Look around the back wheel wells. I see lots of Titans rusting above the rear tires on the road. You want to keep the inside of the wheel well clean

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'd pass after seeing the front end and is that flaking or cracked/broke close to the left of the 2 bolts by the spare tire? If you do buy it and can get rid of most the rust I'd do an undercoat.

·
Registered
41 Posts
That's really not bad. FWIW I'm in the Winston-Salem/Greensboro area. We salt roads maybe only 2-4 times a year, max. And we usually only brine, not actual salt in this area.

I'm concerned about that LCA and the struts. LCA replacement can be a bitch if the pins are seized (looking to do this myself soon...maybe...). Struts are easy peasey...

Almost all of that looks mostly to be surface rust. Honestly, I'd be more concerned about other items that the Titans are known for (axle seals, power steering leaks, valve covers leaking, diff problems with that e locker, etc)

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
1,711 Posts
you guys salt in Winston-Salem? I used to go up there for the bug nationals. I guess I never thought it actually does get that cold there. I know it snows in Jacksonville and along the coast but I just never thought about salting roads so far south.

all the parts that are really rusty are replaceable. its just money and time so you have to decide if those two items of yours are worth spending on the truck

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Looks fine to me. That is what I would call "normal" here in Pennsylvania.

The Lower Arm is NOT rusted through there are holes there that are utilized in the manufacturing process to align/fit all the pieces for welding/fab.

My 2005 with 140k miles is much worse underneath than this.

Reactions: busemans
1 - 11 of 11 Posts