Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, I'm looking into buying my first Titan. I've loved the looks of the titan since they came out, and I'm at a point now where I can buy one. Unfortunately I can't afford a new one, so I'm looking at used ones. I've had my eye on a couple that are 2005-2006 models. I'm looking to get some insight and opinions since I've never owned one. Other that the mpg, what are some downfalls? What mpg should I expect under normal driving conditions? The trucks I am interested in are around the 120k mileage mark. Are there any particular things I should be paying close attention to mechanically when I go to look at them? Any info on this generation truck is greatly appreciated, and I welcome all opinions!

·
Registered
232 Posts
I would personally try and find an 08+ if you can. You get some "refined" things with the Titan. Bigger brakes, somewhat better luck with axles and front diffs and manifolds. However, some people have had good luck with 04-07's. I personally had an 05' w/ 40k miles and some issues. Leaky axle seals, t-case seal, and front diff was on its way out. So far my 10' w/ 80k when I bought it has been trouble free so far.

The biggest things to check are. Cracked manifolds. Listen to it on start up around the fender wells. If it has a loud ticking sound they are probably cracked. Nissan later added a support brace but, they still crack. Cracking radiators. Most of the time they crack at the lower half of the radiator. So check for any leaks. Check rear axle seals. If they are leaking bad enough you'll see dripping down the inside of the wheels. Bit of a gable buying a high mileage titan especially pre 08' in my opinion. If they have been properly maintained by someone and issues were addressed in a timely fashion you probably will be alright.

They are great trucks when the "typical" issues are fixed. Just seems to be hit or miss on the earlier T's. Best of luck and hope you find what you are looking for! Also here is a good thread on refreshing a high mileage Titan

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-general-discussion/246577-refreshing-first-gen-nissan-titan.html

Reactions: COREYMFT

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I agree with the fact that by 08 the problems were "refined" but I think it comes down to maintenance and how hard you beat your truck. I have an 06 with almost 80k and never had a single issue apart from my AC actuator acting up. I keep my truck clean and well maintained. Do services when they're needed, if not before. And my truck is a street queen. Never hits the dirt (for the most part) and even if it does im not roosting through desert hitting the rev limiter. All trucks have their problems, if you can look past the bad MPG, then I think the Titan is a good truck. If I had to buy it again, I would.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I bought my Titan about 6 months ago, it's on 06 with 122k with great maintenance records. I love it, and haven't had any big issues so far. With the mileage you're looking at, plan to change out normal maintenance parts so account for that in your purchase budget. So far for peace of mind I've changed out the plugs, all filters, changed all fluids with amsoil synthetic, and axle vent mod. I also had motor movement so I replaced the transmission mount, and currently changing out motor mounts. Made a HUGE difference.

ALLBLACKTITAN nailed it, my axle seals are leaking which I'm not stoked about, but so far no cracked manifolds.. Yet. But the truck is phenomenal. Nissan's rockford fosgate system is killer, and the truck rides better than any other brand I've driven before. It's got power for days, and is just overall MUCH more refined than the other trucks of that generation. Honestly, aside from the diff failures, cracked manifolds, and leaky rear ends, the titan is solid. My old silverado ticked like crazy, and their trannies never had a good reputation. Fords and Dodges don't even need to be explained, they just flat out break more often. (Not trying to start an argument, just making an observation from friend's past experiences.) And all their interiors are archaic compared to the Titan's.

Good luck, just don't jump on the first good deal you find. With that mileage, MAKE SURE it has a solid maintenance record, and inspect for the obvious signs of misuse and leaky areas. Happy shopping!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Mine is an 05 with 153000 miles. I had to replace the ac actuator, rear axle seals and just replaced the cracked manifolds. I have zero complaints, as these items were not emergency problems and none of them will leave you stranded. I love it, I also am on my second Armada, same deal. My first Armada (2004) has over 180k on it and my in laws own it now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im sketchy on the 05-06 now. I just don't know what has been done to them for maintenance. I have found a 2010 in my price range with 114,000 miles on it. Any info on that year from anyone?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
2010's were a fairly good year, but youre looking at one with ~25k miles a year. Thats about double the average driver. I would take that into account and why it would have so many miles for being so "relatively new"

·
Registered
232 Posts
114k miles is a tad high in that year range. When I bought my 2010 about 6 months ago it had 78k which is a little over the average and in pretty cosmetically rough shape. But, it took me 3 months just to find this particular truck in my area. I would keep looking and you'll find what is right. If you think it has been well token care of and price is right go for it. Just dont over pay for a high mileage truck

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
I have had 2 2004 SE CC 4WD Titans that were both good vehicles. My current 2004, 130k miles, cracked exhaust manifolds and weepy axle seals. That's all.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have an 06 with 124k on it, bought it last June and love it. I bought it for $15k and planned to put some money into it since it was older but I plan to drive it for a very long time. I've already put approx $2k into it for headers, rear axle breather, pinion seal and axle seal replacement. Having said that it's now a very mechanically sound truck and the only money I plan to spend now is a little here and there for little things. If you want to put some money into it to make it your own you could get an older model. These trucks are very easy to work on except the headers, I had a shop do mine.

Even the newer year's manifolds can (and likely will) still crack which is pretty expensive and driving with cracked manifolds can (theoretically) shorten the life of your engine so either way you'd want to get new manifolds or headers put on because they're most likely going to crack if they aren't already. The header and uprev package are usually cheaper than new manifolds from the dealer and they're less likely to crack.

With long tube headers, up-rev, and 93 octane I run about 15mpg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 and 2010 Titans.
13 Posts
Mine has been absolutely trouble free since I bought it. (2010 Titan crew SE) It was 86,000 when I got it and now it's close to 140,000. Other than it tries to turn into gas stations automatically, I have no complaints. It really does get low fuel mileage( 13-19 ). But if you can afford the gaS, It's one of the better riding trucks I've ever owned. I say after you check the carfax, go for it!

·
Premium Member
3,551 Posts
I just picked up a 2015 sv cc 4x4. You guys think the manifolds still have an issue with cracking?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
Does a bear S.H.I.T in the woods?

Reactions: ALLBLACKTITAN

·
Registered
232 Posts
I just picked up a 2015 sv cc 4x4. You guys think the manifolds still have an issue with cracking?

Yes, Nissan still uses the same manifold with a "reinforcement" that still does not solve the issue unfortunately. I've heard of manifolds cracking at less than 30k miles..

·
Registered
167 Posts

Get headers. Even if your manifolds aren't cracked the headers are a huge improvement in performance and efficiency. Plus they're likely to crack anyway so....

·
Registered
456 Posts
Thanks man. The stillen ones?

I would just call the guys at Cajun Bpipes | shreveport, LA 71129. Jeff will walk you through the process. If your 2015 manifolds are new enough there are guys in Cali who need them so you should be able to sell them with no problem to offset the cost of headers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got the stage 1 manifold fix from Cajun. Long tube headers, b pipes, and uprev. From what I've read the stillen headers are comparable but they don't have any kind of package that I know of.

After doing some reading, the Cajun setup seems like the better setup. I have 100k warranty, so I don't know if I'll need to replace them anytime soon

·
Registered
167 Posts
After doing some reading, the Cajun setup seems like the better setup. I have 100k warranty, so I don't know if I'll need to replace them anytime soon

Hey might as well take advantage of the warranty. I bought mine used at 107k so all I had was a power train for 3mos/3,000 miles.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts