Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I am thinking about selling my 2000 Tundra and buying a 1rst Gen Titan to replace my Tundra for my landscaping work. I have a small Bobcat skid steer that I need to tow (with an equipment trailer), all together around 9k lbs. I will only need to occasionally tow this machine and when I do it will be for only up to 40 miles at a time. I know that a 3/4 ton domestic diesel might make more sense, except that 1) This use will be very occasional, and 2) I really prefer Nissan and Toyota vehicles over domestic for all other everyday use. I also want to push snow with it in the winter. For some reason, when I bought my used 2000 Tundra, the Titan slipped under my radar, as a good option. Only recently did I notice the 9,500lb towing capacity, the 300+ HP and the very good reviews these trucks have received. Also, I really like the size of the Titan, and I just don't like the new Tundras. Too freak'n big!

So my question is:

What should be the earliest year of Titan that I should consider buying? I have read a little about some issues in the beginning. I also know that the HP jumped to 317 at some point. I believe the towing capacity wasn't at 9k+ in the beginning either. Also, do earlier models get better mpg than late models? etc, etc...

Since Nissan has been essentially making the same truck for a long time with tweaks here and there, what is the general consensus about the earliest year of Titan to buy, now that hind sight is 20/20 so to speak?

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
IMO, 2008+. A lot of improvements were made along with eliminating a few bugs in the process.

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
the amount you can tow depends o the gear ratio. 2.94 gears will tow 7300 pounds, 3.36 gears will tow 9300 pounds. Don't let them fool you into thinking the tow package changes your towing limit, it is strictly the gears.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Also, a Crew Cab Pro-4X won't tow the full 9300 so keep an eye on trim packages as well. 2WD Big Tow KC is going to be your best best if you're trying to tow the limit.

I agree that 2008+ is a good place to start as you'll get bigger brakes and some other improvements.

·
Premium Member
19,442 Posts
2007 has almost everything the 2008 has except for the brakes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all of the replies.

2008 was going to be my guess from my little bit of research. Is the rear axle seals leaking issue addressed by 2008?

I did not know about the "Big Tow" gearing until I came to this site. Now when I see Titans for sale on the internet, I wonder if the truck I am looking at has the 3.36 gearing. If the truck has the bigger mirrors, is that an indication that it has the 3.36 gears? I think I read on here somewhere that the bigger mirrors are part of the that package. But, it seems that most of the Titans out there have the smaller mirrors. But one version of the Titan that seems to always have the big mirrors is the Pro-4X, so maybe that is what I try to find. Plus I would like to buy a King Cab, for the longer bed, yet shorter wheelbase. Tough to find Titan King Cabs! Then add the need for it to be a Pro-4X. Makes it even a taller order!

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Even though I have an 05 I would never buy a used Titan earlier than 08 unless they are practically giving it away. Nissan needed three yrs to iron out some of the bugs which they at least tried to do by 08. 3.36 gears help if you want to add taller tires.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Most swear to the 08+. I have no regrets buying my Jan 2004 CC. I purchased it in 2006 with 30k miles, it now has 140k with 100k of those miles sitting on 35's and a 6" lift. I drive it like a truck from stop and go city traffic here in Northern VA (some of the worst in the country) to the farm in PA.

I just recently replaced my brakes (140k that other than two sets of pads, were still from the "warrantied" brakes back in 06ish.
I had the axle seals go about 90k but I am going strong since doing the simple axle vent mod.
I had the cracked manifolds at 110k - replaced with JBAs and Cajun cats. 08+ still have this issue. (most expensive fix)
I had my flex plate go at 130k.
I just had the original ball joint go (OEM from 2004) at 140k. The hub ripped the CV out cracking the front diff - amazingly the whole repair was covered by Geico.

Given the repairs over the last 10 years it's been a great truck. Most friends from high school/college are amazed I still own it. People are shocked when I tell them it's an 04. That's my Titans story.

TL;DR - Ignore the year and look at the mechanical shape of the truck. I have seen 2013 Titans in horrible shape.

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
Thanks for all of the replies.

2008 was going to be my guess from my little bit of research. Is the rear axle seals leaking issue addressed by 2008?

I did not know about the "Big Tow" gearing until I came to this site. Now when I see Titans for sale on the internet, I wonder if the truck I am looking at has the 3.36 gearing. If the truck has the bigger mirrors, is that an indication that it has the 3.36 gears? I think I read on here somewhere that the bigger mirrors are part of the that package. But, it seems that most of the Titans out there have the smaller mirrors. But one version of the Titan that seems to always have the big mirrors is the Pro-4X, so maybe that is what I try to find. Plus I would like to buy a King Cab, for the longer bed, yet shorter wheelbase. Tough to find Titan King Cabs! Then add the need for it to be a Pro-4X. Makes it even a taller order!
All Pro4x have 3.36 gears, yes larger mirrors are an indication that the truck has 3.36 gears, however, lots of guys like to swap out mirrors to the bigger ones.

·
Premium Member
2,309 Posts
Agree with the majority, go with an 08.5 an up.

If you like/want the rev match option it started in 09, I love it sounds nasty gearing down

·
Registered
31 Posts
At what price?

Everything that might go wrong or did go wrong I fixed myself and saved money.

Except for alignment. I 'll have the shop do that.

I own an 04 Titan. So called problems will be taken care of by me.

·
Premium Member
92,436 Posts
2007 has almost everything the 2008 has except for the brakes.
And the yellow eyebrow headlights... :eyebrow:

·
Premium Member
19,442 Posts
Ah, that's just an esoteric change. I'm not sure which version I like better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts