Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I know that an Lt tire is better for towing but I don't have many options with 275/60R20. I don't really like the BF Goodrich AT's.

I do like the Cooper Zeon but those are XL. Will an XL tire improve the way the tire handles towing over the stock P rated tires?

I use the truck for daily driving, snow and towing 5,000lb boat.

I'm looking to control some of the bouncing I get with my stock Junkers.

Thanks,

-Mike

·
Premium Member
...08 Pro4X...
71,527 Posts
Toyo AT2.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
personally not a big fan of the BFG AT`s. your stockers are GY wranglers?
I`m currently running 275/60/20 Cooper Discovery HT`s., also daily driver, also tow a boat 3k+ pounds. and no issues from the tires...

a xl tire is an improvement over P rating...

I use a set of Hankook RF10 ATM`s on the Frontier in P rating and also have no issues towing.

cruise through Discount Tires website for some options.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Toyo AT2 is not an LT or XL tire. Is there a reason you feel it offers better towing capabilities than the stock P rated tire?

·
Premium Member
...08 Pro4X...
71,527 Posts
My Toyos are LT.

·
Premium Member
...08 Pro4X...
71,527 Posts

·
Premium Member
...08 Pro4X...
71,527 Posts
You see what I tow in my sig.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see. Yeah, they dont offer my size in an LT...275/60R20. its hard to find an LT tire in that size. The BFG AT's have it but im not a fan. I like the Cooper zeons but those are an XL not LT.

-Mike

·
Premium Member
...08 Pro4X...
71,527 Posts

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
+1 for the Cooper Zeon LTZ. Here's what I towed on that tire:

I was on LT305/55R20. They also have a LT275/65R20.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I'm running the Cooper AT3. They are D rated I believe so not quite an LT tire but rated heavy enough to tow my 6500 lb. dry weight travel trailer. These tires do great for towing and normal daily driving. My only complaint is that they slip a little on wet roads when taking off. Maybe I just need to be lighter on the go pedal!! haha Tried to look them up and they do come in the size you're looking for but don't see a load rating. Maybe check with your local Cooper dealer.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
whats the difference between 275/60R20 and 275/65R20. Is the 65 a taller tire or wider? Would I need any modifications to fit it?

·
Premium Member
20,938 Posts
I don't know what year/model you have so I couldn't say if a 20" wheel is over-sized or OEM. If you're going to tow heavy the last thing you want is an over-sized tire. That's a good way to roast your transmission. I do a lot of towing in the Rocky Mountains, driving over passes that are 11,000' high. I would like to have a bit more clearance with a taller tire but I'm not willing to sacrifice the power loss that goes with a taller tire.

I have the earlier version of the Toyo AT LT tires in load range "D". They have been a very good towing tire for me. What convinced me to go with them was the tread depth. I also have the Toyo ice/snow tires which I'm happy with.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
whats the difference between 275/60R20 and 275/65R20. Is the 65 a taller tire or wider? Would I need any modifications to fit it?
Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference
275/65-20 7.0in 17.0in 34.1in 107.0in 592 0.0%
275/60-20 6.5in 16.5in 33.0in 103.6in 611 -3.2%

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
my tire/wheel combo is stock. Its a 2015 Titan SV, CC, 4x4 with BT package. This is my 4th Titan (love these trucks). Ive towed with all my Titans and tried different things with each to get rid of the residual bouncing while towing over bumps and stuff, but nothing worked... Figured with this one I would try a heavier duty tire. Ive heard LT is the way to go, but again, not many options in my tire size 275/60r20. So really just wondering if an XL tire like the Cooper zeon LTZ 275/60r20 will improving towing handling. I like the aggressive sporty look of the ZEON LTZ and ive read alot of good reviews for that tire, mostly from Dodge guys.

Thanks for any and all advice.

-Mike

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Yeah the LTZ look cool and don't have the loudness downside. Very stiff sidewalls on those... these are heavy tires. You can see the gooseneck I pulled; tire was more than enough to handle the weight.

I have LT275/65/18 Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventures and though I like them a lot, I'd move back to the Coopers if I was towing heavy again (20 series profile also has a lot to do with sidewall non-flex vs 18 series).

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Any reason for not liking the BFGs?? The AT TKOs have a pretty good reputation here and were very good for me on my truck. That being said, I am running General Grabber AT2s right now and they have been great as well. Really good in the snow. If you are getting residual bounce towing, it is usually related to how your trailer is set up or the shocks on your truck. A change to LT tires will make the truck tow much more stable, but it isn't going to do anything for bouncing.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Any reason for not liking the BFGs?? The AT TKOs have a pretty good reputation here and were very good for me on my truck. That being said, I am running General Grabber AT2s right now and they have been great as well. Really good in the snow. If you are getting residual bounce towing, it is usually related to how your trailer is set up or the shocks on your truck. A change to LT tires will make the truck tow much more stable, but it isn't going to do anything for bouncing.
I used to be a big BFG AT fan. After running through 2 sets of them I found that when the tread wears to about the 1/2 way point the tire compound is harder and the tires work for sh!t on mud and snow. Seems they layered the soft compound on top of the hard compound when making the tires. When new they work great.

I have since switched to Goodyear Wrangler AT with Kevlar. I'm down to less than 1/4" tread after 50,000+ miles and they still grip well.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I put a set of BFG AT on an old blazer and If I remember correctly they were impossible to balance properly...But, it may be my only choice for an LT tire in the size I need. When the time comes I may just get the zeon's and see how the XL does, it should be an improvement over stock at least....And, who knows, maybe in another year or so the Zeon will come in an LT275/60R20....

-Mike

·
Registered
355 Posts
I agree on not being so hot on BFG AT's. Bought two different vehicles with those tires and seemed like the tire rubber would get all cracky with weather cracks long before the tread was gone. Plus they were both pretty sketch on ice. I used Nitto Terra-Grapplers on my Dodge Ram and towed a 5500lb boat down the Alaska-Canada highway and then two years later towed it back up. 2400 miles each trip and zero issues with the tires. That included 75mph stretches, tight corners, snow, long stretches of gravel and pot holes and miles upon miles of frost heaves. You name it, that road has it. I run Toyo M/T's now because they came on the truck, and I do like these tires for sure, but for the money, when I replace these, it'll be Nittos. Good Luck!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts