Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am looking at purchasing a compound miter saw but i am not sure which one to purchase. Does anybody have any expertise on these if so please chime in. thanks

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I love my Hitachi. I have worked it as hard and as long as any tool I own - and never a problem.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Dewalt w/ 12" blade = $350 American made
very sturdy no wimpy plastic chinese parts

·
Registered
976 Posts
i've had a 12" DeWalt for 8 years, i don't use it every day, but it has never let me down. DeWalt, Craftsman, Hitachi, PorterCable, i don't think you can go wrong.

·
Premium Member
17,125 Posts
I have a DeWalt also, which seems o.k. to me. I recommend getting the type with the dual bevel. Mine didn't come with a laser and I bought an aftermarket laser attachment that clamps next to the blade. It is a bit offset from the cut line, which annoyed me slightly at first, but now I'm used to it. So the ideal would be a compound double bevel with a laser that aligns perfectly with the cut line.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Depends on your needs. I have a Bosch, 10" slider with laser, clamps, etc.... It's a $600 saw. You may not need that much.

If all you need is a simple compound mitre, I'd recommend either a 10" or 12", depending on your capacity needs. Delta, Porter Cable, DeWalt, Ridgid, Bosch, Makita, Milwaukee and Hitachi are all good names and it would be hard to go wrong with any of them.

Just as important as the saw is the blade. Get a good, carbide tipped blade. The more teeth the better. You'll want at least 40 teeth on a 10" blade.

If you determine your capacity needs are minimal, get a low priced Delta, 10" and outfit it with a high quality Freud or Forrest blade and it'll cut silky smooth.

Regards,

John

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
For cabinetry and general use, Makita makes a surprisingly decent saw. John makes a good point on blades. Amana, CMT, Freud are all decent blades and can be expensive, but make all the difference. You can improve your cut with a balanced blade stabilizer, understanding that it will reduce the thickness of the wood you can cut, but fine for most dimensional lumber.

http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=product_det&tag=LS1214

I used to work for a woodworking tool supplier and we carried Bosch, Dewalt, Delta, and Makita for compound saws and heavy machinery by Jet, Delta, General, Powermatic, and Omga. This is what I picked up for my miter saw which is exceptional for fine cabinetry, but they don't have a compound saw.

http://www.omgainc.com/productfamily_detail.php?cid=2&sub_id=0&pid=10

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Very pleased with my DeWalt, lightest on the market. Good power and capabilities. Dual Bevel if you can, price has dropped a hundred from where it used to be a few years ago.

·
Registered
41,353 Posts
The top 5 in no specific order (depends if you want a slider or not)

1.Bosch VERY nice and easy to maintain accuracy
2. Dewalt light and well made. Large capacity
3.Hitatchi slightly cheaper still well built
4. Makita. Smaller fence, but easy to tote around and pretty darn accurate
5. Milwakee makes a good saw too,. kinda on the heavy side.

Good luck

I prefer bosch and dewalt though

·
Premium Member
31,154 Posts
Just a little FYI...The so called: dual bevel is a double compound miter saw which comes in a slide/radial arm saw version also...

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
jasonmotox said:
Dewalt w/ 12" blade = $350 American made
very sturdy no wimpy plastic chinese parts
DeWalt is now CRAP. I'm a contractor and need dependabilty, the new DeWalt is garbage and its warranty sucks. Porter Cable used to be good, but recently purchased by dewalt it shouldn't be long before they ruin it too.

Hitachi is good, my favorite is Bosch, very tough, good warranty, company stands behind its tools. I still have one Dewalt, 708 double compound slider mitre, handles flimsy, gone through three switches and a cord. Brushes are about gone. I got rid of a standard Dewalt mitre saw after it caught fire, switch again. I've got a Porter Cable too thats been very good. Nothing is worse than Dewalt drill drivers. Batteries are good for maybe 6 months. Transmisions fail too.

Also, if you buy Dewalt, don't do it from Lowes or Home Depot. Dewalt makes a specific line for discount retailers, lower quality than what lumber yards get, yet not much cheaper. My main lumber yard stopped carrying Dewalt due to too many problems and very poor warranty practices.

And they may be assembled in the uS, but where do you think the parts come from? Open one up, it isnt America.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Ive never had any problems with my dewalts, but most of my tools are 7 or 8years old. maybe the quality has gone downhill??

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
a26rock said:
Ive never had any problems with my dewalts, but most of my tools are 7 or 8years old. maybe the quality has gone downhill??
DEwalts decline started three years ago, its down to the quality of its Black and Decker line.

·
Premium Member
31,154 Posts
stlblues said:
DeWalt is now CRAP. I'm a contractor and need dependabilty, the new DeWalt is garbage and its warranty sucks. Porter Cable used to be good, but recently purchased by dewalt it shouldn't be long before they ruin it too.

Hitachi is good, my favorite is Bosch, very tough, good warranty, company stands behind its tools. I still have one Dewalt, 708 double compound slider mitre, handles flimsy, gone through three switches and a cord. Brushes are about gone. I got rid of a standard Dewalt mitre saw after it caught fire, switch again. I've got a Porter Cable too thats been very good. Nothing is worse than Dewalt drill drivers. Batteries are good for maybe 6 months. Transmisions fail too.

Also, if you buy Dewalt, don't do it from Lowes or Home Depot. Dewalt makes a specific line for discount retailers, lower quality than what lumber yards get, yet not much cheaper. My main lumber yard stopped carrying Dewalt due to too many problems and very poor warranty practices.

And they may be assembled in the uS, but where do you think the parts come from? Open one up, it isnt America.
I`ve been in construction for 25+ yrs. and have owned tons of tools by every maker....For the $$$, Dewalt is hard to beat...I`ve had the same 18v cordless combo pack for many yrs. and they are still performing great...Had to replace the batteries over the yrs., but so do all other brands....I still use a circular saw that is 10 yrs. old and a 12" mitre saw that is just as old...They are showing the wear but get the job done...
I really like the newer lazer saws and double compound saws, but can`t see spending the $$$ if the old ones are getting the job done....:cheers:

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have a Hitachi compound miter 10". Less than $150 from Lowes (trust me you don't need a laser). It has performed remarkably well for this weekend warrior installing hardwood floors etc.

I have a Hitachi Table saw as well. Both are very precise. As I recall both have 15 amp motors as well.

If I were a contractor I would spend more $.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
redneckpapa1996 said:
I`ve been in construction for 25+ yrs. and have owned tons of tools by every maker....For the $$$, Dewalt is hard to beat...I`ve had the same 18v cordless combo pack for many yrs. and they are still performing great...Had to replace the batteries over the yrs., but so do all other brands....I still use a circular saw that is 10 yrs. old and a 12" mitre saw that is just as old...They are showing the wear but get the job done...
I really like the newer lazer saws and double compound saws, but can`t see spending the $$$ if the old ones are getting the job done....:cheers:
As you said, the OLD ones. The new ones are a different story. I've only been doing it for 15 yrs and when I replace or expand, I buy new stuff, and the new stuff has sucked. I did some digging and asked tool reps from several yards, all said the same, Dewalt is cutting corners, quality has suffered and they don't want to stand behind the new stuff.

·
Premium Member
31,154 Posts
stlblues said:
As you said, the OLD ones. The new ones are a different story. I've only been doing it for 15 yrs and when I replace or expand, I buy new stuff, and the new stuff has sucked. I did some digging and asked tool reps from several yards, all said the same, Dewalt is cutting corners, quality has suffered and they don't want to stand behind the new stuff.
I`ll take that into account when i upgrade my old stuff....I hear good things about Hitachi and may just give them a try....I have several P.C. tools that are very dependable and tough...Time surely will tell...Thanks for the info blues....

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
redneckpapa1996 said:
I`ll take that into account when i upgrade my old stuff....I hear good things about Hitachi and may just give them a try....I have several P.C. tools that are very dependable and tough...Time surely will tell...Thanks for the info blues....
Hitachi is good, I've liked my PC, but I love the Bosch, especially the drill drivers. Very tough, tons of torque, and the Blue Core batteries carry a 3 year replacement warranty. I constantly upgrade, i like the newest tools, and I have a bad habit of researching things to death, drives my wife up the wall. She needed a new blender, I spent three nights researching before I let her buy it. And in these days of cost cutting and max profits at all costs, you gotta check everything out....repeatedly. I'm also a pro photographer, the camera market changes ten times faster than the tool markets....another thing that drives my wife nuts. Film wise I shot mostly Canon and Nikon, when things went digital, Canon had the jump and I invested in those lenses, fortunatly they have maintained thier edge, but new bodies are coming out every 18mons so now even my kids have a DSLR since I have to get the latest....though she said I have to wait for the new 1ds markIII...something about $4K for just the body, but it shoots 10 frames a second for a 110 frame burst. My 30D is only 5 frames a second for a 30 frame burst.

·
Registered
234 Posts
i've had my 10" delta for about 8 yrs now, still going strong. i've gone through about 4 blades. when it takes a crap i want a 12" dual bevel with lazer. :upsidedow

·
Banned
27,783 Posts
I have a 10" Delta from lowes, $99 (I paid $88)
Not a single problem, and have had it for three years!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts