Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son is turning 16 in a few months. He's decided he wants to try to buy a Titan because he likes mine and I won't give it to him. So I'm going to help him out a bit (because that's what my dad did for me). So I started looking around here in northern Alabama, and I have to say most of the folks with Titans are absolutely nuts with what they're asking for their trucks! I've seen 2004 trucks with 200+ on the odometer for $10k and up. I can't imagine my 2011 is worth a comparable amount like $28-32k, considering I paid $34 for it nearly five years ago. So, Titan brothers, here's what I need to find:

A Titan in decent shape
Miles under 130k (I want him to be able to drive this all the way through college, which is 6-7yrs total)
Power windows/locks/keyless
Not red or maroon (he's said he hates those colors)

It can be 2wd or 4wd, KC or CC, stock, modded (but nothing crazy...), cloth or leather.

He would prefer buckets and console rather than the bench, and I'd prefer he get backup sensors, but we can always add a reverse cam because I'm reasonably sure we'll do a new stereo as part of making it "his."

And I'd like all this at a fair price. The budget is somewhere between $8-14k, give or take a bit, though closer to $8-10k would be best. I found a nice 2004 not far, and it's lifted and sharp. But the guy selling it wants $12k for it, and it's been rear-ended (my guess is, based on knowing a bit about body shop rates, it's a $3500 fix, minimum). I can't see dumping effectively $16k into a 12yr old truck, when for the same money I could buy a 2009-2012. I found a 2008 XE with 77k on it, but it's all manual windows/locks/etc, and that's a huge pain to change.

Advice and leads welcome!

·
Registered
355 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
All I know is up here, they are freaking cheap compared to any other truck. Of course individual sellers all think there vehicles are worth far more than they really are. When I bought mine, I watched it for well over a month as the dealership kept slowly lowering the price. Once they got into a good range went and looked at it and the low balled me on my trade in, so spent several weeks arguing over a thousand dollars, in that time they lowered the price of the truck $2k, so I know longer was arguing over what they were offering me on my trade in.

So the best advice I can give, if the market is similar to here is just be patient, because Titans move slow at a good price, so if you can wait, for a great price and then jump on it.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At that price, I could just about fly up, look it over, and drive it home cheaper than buying anything comparable here! Wish that was half as far...

And the white 4x4 in Colonia is a good one, too.

Anybody ever buy one sight-unseen and end up happy with it after delivery? I'm just scared of all the stuff which could hide from me if I don't see it and drive it first.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Wouldn't buy any used vehicle sight-unseen.

Wish we were 2-3 years down the road when I'll be ready to sell mine.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wouldn't buy any used vehicle sight-unseen.

Wish we were 2-3 years down the road when I'll be ready to sell mine.
That's pretty much my gut on this sort of thing. Was just checking to see if I'm the crazy one.

You sure you don't need to upgrade to something which will fit in your new garage NOW? :big_grin:

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How about a 2004 Frontier Crew Cab? It's got the 3.3L V6/Auto, and the roof rack (not that that really matters, but maybe adds some "toughness" to it for my son?) It's electric blue, grey interior, and the best part is, just under 80k miles. I'm calling the guy, but what are the "standard" things I should know about a Frontier, like we know about the e-brake, manifolds, axle vent, etc. with the Titan?

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Don't know of any issues personally. My parents have a 2002 Xterra with the 3.3L V6 that's most likely the same (similar to Titans and Armadas) and they've never had an issue other than a new water pump around 2011 and normal maintenance. They still use it now for a beater. Only thing I didn't absolutely love about it was the engine felt weak on the high end. It struggles at 80 mph, but down low it has plenty of torque and pulled a loaded bass boat no problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm considering selling my titan but I'm in New Jersey, and it's red, which you said he hates. If he might change his mind I could drive to meet for a fellow TT member so you could drive it. It has 105k miles; upcoming maintenance- Brake rotors, differential fluid. My clear coat has failed similar to others on here, so that would be something to consider. Let me know your interest!

Reactions: dubyam

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
There's a 2014 S crew cab 2wd in Las Vegas with 42k miles, theyre asking 13.5k. I know that's a drive and a half for you guys for a bone stock truck but it seems really nice in the pictures. Throw some rims and color match the rear bumper and no one will be able to tell the difference.

·
Registered
456 Posts

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
There are a few here in the Memphis area if you search CL. Wouldn't mind going to look at one if you wanted me to. You're only about 3 hours away.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
If your looking to get 6-7 more years out of a used truck with a brand new driver I would look for something 08 or newer. Even that puts the truck at 15 yrs old.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I understand, Scan, but the thing about my son is, he's very careful and conscientious. He's far from what I was at his age...and that's a good thing!

·
Registered
355 Posts
At that price, I could just about fly up, look it over, and drive it home cheaper than buying anything comparable here! Wish that was half as far...

And the white 4x4 in Colonia is a good one, too.

Anybody ever buy one sight-unseen and end up happy with it after delivery? I'm just scared of all the stuff which could hide from me if I don't see it and drive it first.
I bought a pretty red 2002 Chevy short box single cab 4x4 for my wife a few years back site unseen out of Texas. It looked pristine in the pics. The guy gave me a 30 day warranty. I paid higher than average because it looked so good and had low miles. I had it shipped to Alaska and it took 31 days. When it got here, it had scratches all up and down the sides (which were noted by the shipper when they picked it up), the gas gauge didn't work and the tires were weather cracked pretty bad. The dealer said my 30 day warranty was up and I was outta luck. Lesson learned....pictures aren't worth chit, and never trust a used car salesman. Never buy site unseen, unless its from your mother, and only then make sure you get a 60 day warranty....

Reactions: COREYMFT
1 - 16 of 16 Posts