Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so as I have stated before new all around to trucks .. Let alone lifted trucks .. So I currently have 35x12.5 R17 Toyo Open County MT .. And I'm looking to get some different rims and tires .. I have noticed that they are pretty loud, and it's not so much that it bothers me as much as it wakes up my daught from time to time ..

And I do pretty regularly go on all different kinds of terranies .. But I would like something that is going to be a good all around on road but lean a little more towards holding its own off road .. Oh, and I pretty much never drive in snow .. I hate pretty much everything about snow ..

But I do live in southern california, so when it rains it doesn't rain a lot but the roads get super slick ....

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Since you have a 6" lift, probably don't want to go too much smaller on the tires' diameter, so maybe a LT325/70R17 D in the Nitto Terra Grappler A/T, or the Hankook ATm RF10 in the smaller 34.4x12.4 LT315/70R17 D.

I had aftermarket siping on my Toyo M/T's and they were good in the rain even at the wear bars. Last few days have been my first try of the Terra's after siping, and they have improved over last year.

I'm probably will go with the RF10's next time because of their excellent reviews, but the Terra's are still on the list.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I really don't want to go smaller in the overall rize .. If anything I might do an 18" rim or something .. But I'm thinking I want to get rid of the No Fear rims ..

Oh and I'm really not wanting to spend more than like $250 a tire new .. And hoping I can find some semi used ones, but would need to know what to look for really .... And you say aftermarket "siping" ^may sound stupid here^ but what is that ..??

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Yeah, I really don't want to go smaller in the overall rize .. If anything I might do an 18" rim or something .. But I'm thinking I want to get rid of the No Fear rims ..

Oh and I'm really not wanting to spend more than like $250 a tire new .. And hoping I can find some semi used ones, but would need to know what to look for really .... And you say aftermarket "siping" ^may sound stupid here^ but what is that ..??
You can sometimes find the LT315/70R17 BFG A/T KOs for pretty cheap. They came on one of the Hummers, and at least in the past were common as take-offs. You'll probably pay a lot more if you are getting rims too. Look in the Buy and sell forum here ... sometimes there are great deals, on tires, rims, or both, but shipping gets expensive, and is a hassle to deal with so most say local pickup only.

Siping is about $15 a tire, but not all shops have the machine. Tire Siping - Discount Tire

Good luck.

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
Nitto Terra Grappler A/T in 325/70-17 should match your liking well... These are honestly the best all-around tire I've ran and are fairly similar to a street tire for road noise.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, so the 325 is the same as 35x right ..??

And is the 70 the same as 12.5 ..??

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Okay, so the 325 is the same as 35x right ..??

And is the 70 the same as 12.5 ..??
325 is the width in millimeters, so around 12.8" wide, (at the sidewall), but they vary.

1 inch = 25.4 mm

The sidewall height is determined by both the width and the middle number or series. So a 325/65R18 tells you the sidewall height is 65% of the width. 325 mm x 0.65 = 211.25 mm. Dividing 211.25 by 25.4 converts this to inches ... 8.31". Then sidewall + rim diameter + sidewall = 8.32 + 18" + 8.32" = 34.65". The Terra Grappler A/T is 34.8" though, so calculators and calculations are good for a rough idea, but a spec sheet is better, although manufacturing tolerances can still get you.

For a 60 series ... 325/60R18 the sidewall height would be 325 x 0.60 = 195 mm
195 mm to inches ... 195/25.4 = 7.68"
So 7.68" + 18" rim + 7.68" = 33.36" diameter. [The Terra's spec sheet numbers are 32.99"].

Roughly a 325 is an extra wide 12.5" but it's diameter is determined by the sidewall height, as a percentage of the width, (i.e. 60 series. 70 series, the second number listed). and then the sidewall height is doubled and added to the rim diameter to find the tire diameter.

A 295/70R18 in theory will be 1" greater diameter than a 295/70R17, because the 70% of the 295 mm width will be the same sidewall height, and the 18" rim's 1" greater diameter over the 17's, would be the only difference.

Anyway the 325/70R17 is a true 35" diameter tire that is 13.12" wide on a 9.5" spec sheet measuring rim, so on a 9" rim they would pull in to about 12.9". On a stock 17 x 7.5" rim, they would pull in to about 12.3" at the side walls. Tread width won't change much due to rim width.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I love my Toyo ATs, very little road noise and they wear so awesome. You should have no issues getting 50K miles out of them. I am at 30K on them right now and they are not even half warn

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, Norcal 4x4 .. Thank you .. That's a lot of information, and very useful to know .... And yeah I've been trying to look up different kind of tires, but every place rates them all differently .. And I know it's an option thing mostly, so it's hard .... And my dad has the toyo at's on his truck right now .. Went from the toyo mt's to at's and so far he's enjoyed the change .. I'm so used to seeing Goodyear's or Toyo's .... But lately I've been hearing a lot of people saying Nitto's are pretty good all around tires too ....

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
... I'm so used to seeing Goodyear's or Toyo's .... But lately I've been hearing a lot of people saying Nitto's are pretty good all around tires too ....
Nitto is a rebranded Toyo... Nitto is owned by Toyo and is aimed more for a consumer market while Toyo is directed more towards fleets.

·
Premium Member
37,152 Posts
Nitto Terra Grappler A/T in 325/70-17 should match your liking well... These are honestly the best all-around tire I've ran and are fairly similar to a street tire for road noise.
x2 on this

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
x2 on this
Yeah, at the mini meet and greet thing in West Covina Gabby was rolling on them .. And they looked pretty nice .. Not what I was thinking of when it says A/T .. They looked more like an M/T to me .. I think I might have to go with those .. But I'll be looking into some more information on them .. But thanks fur the ideas, looking at all those different kinds of tires and trying to research them all was mind numing ..!! haha .. But as least now I have someone to start from, with a little bit more of an idea .... If anyone else has an option please speak up ..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts