Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a nice crisp looking LCD. I was gonna get a Samsung just for the name since everyone gets those and they look nice but today I went shopping for one and they are pretty expensive compared to others... Why is that? The Specs are about the same is it only the brand name? What do I look for? What is this 1000:1 or 1200:1 or 800:1? Im looking to get at the smallest a 32" and as big as a 50" BUT my budget is gonna be under 1400 prolly with a stand. If I wanna go Samsung I wont get that big but there are other brands that even Walmart carries at a way cheaper price. Is this one of those you get what you pay for? cuz that doesnt always work... Wal-Mart has RCA as well and I have always had good luck with those even on the bigger projection TVs. My parents have had one of those for years now and never had a prob. What about RCA, Hitachi, Polaroid, Izio (or something like that), Viewsonic, Konika, Westinghouse and LG... are thse ok brands as well? Oh yeah, and whats the 8ms stuff, or what not? Could someone give me a run down maybe as well of what the specs are and whats good...

ALSO, since I will be gettin a LCD flat screen, anyone know of a slim wall mountable DVD player to get?? Let me know guys, thanks :cheers:

·
Registered
201 Posts
You should really check out that technology review website. Starts with a c and end with net. Good luck, but it has a lot of information on everything electronic.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Ive seen some flatscreens with a dvd built into it (slides in sidwayz). Plasma's are way cheaper and last a long time now (contrary to the old ones that burn out in 5 yrs), unless you are trying to hook a computer up to it too(only LCD has computer hookups on back). 1080 is the best out now i believe, but you probably wouldnt tell a difference from the step below unless they where right on top of eachother. Try out costco first they have some good prices

·
Registered
561 Posts
Leadsled124 said:
Try out costco first they have some good prices
Ditto on that. I don't have one, but I was looking at them at Costco yesterday. The "Vizio" brand has been selling like hotcakes and has gotten some attention on a thread here too. They're not as expensive as some of the big names but seem to be pretty good.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I would not waste money on a name brand LCD. Sure the image may look slightly better when it is sitting side by side at the store with a no name brand. However, when you take it home you won't notice a difference since there is nothing to compare it to. Most all have the same warranty period and if a TV is going to fail it will fail. Look at the options you want and what is in your budget. Keep in mind that technology is always changing, so what you purchase today will be obosoleted tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
17,240 Posts
I have this one:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-NLnvlxFgbpU/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=647LVM42W2

It can be had for about $1200 shipped.

I have it connected to a PC, a DirectTV box, a DVD player, a Harmon Kardon HK 3480, two Bose 901s, and a edesign 19OV2 driven by a 1000W plate amp. I am very happy, no dead pixels, fast response time.

P.S. - This is a great sound card for playing MP3s through a stereo connected to a PC (far exceeds the high end CreativeLabs stuff I have used), in the event that you don't want to run wires all over the place for 5.1, 7.1

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Audiophile2496-main.html

·
Registered
514 Posts
Don't even bother unless your going to get an High Def cable or sat box to go with it . The plasmas and the LCD's don't look that good on regular cable.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Wait until a good deal comes along on slickdeals.net

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Leadsled124 said:
Ive seen some flatscreens with a dvd built into it (slides in sidwayz). Plasma's are way cheaper and last a long time now (contrary to the old ones that burn out in 5 yrs), unless you are trying to hook a computer up to it too(only LCD has computer hookups on back). 1080 is the best out now i believe, but you probably wouldnt tell a difference from the step below unless they where right on top of eachother. Try out costco first they have some good prices

I think actually, it was on the c n e t website that I read plasmas are a thing of the past that they will be phased out by the LCD... So what does that mean.... I buy one and then they wont last or be good anymore? I have seen that they are cheaper but whats the quality difference or what not?

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bestatchess said:
I have this one:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-NLnvlxFgbpU/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=647LVM42W2

It can be had for about $1200 shipped.

I have it connected to a PC, a DirectTV box, a DVD player, a Harmon Kardon HK 3480, two Bose 901s, and a edesign 19OV2 driven by a 1000W plate amp. I am very happy, no dead pixels, fast response time.

P.S. - This is a great sound card for playing MP3s through a stereo connected to a PC (far exceeds the high end CreativeLabs stuff I have used), in the event that you don't want to run wires all over the place for 5.1, 7.1

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Audiophile2496-main.html

SO you would say Westinghouse is a good brand or good LCD? BesBuy around here has em pretty cheap, maybe Ill go with that one or one like it...

What do u guys think bout the extra warranties? like 100 a year Ive seen... is it worth it? How much would it be to get the TV fixed instead if it dies or goes out?

·
Premium Member
17,240 Posts
pi3yeargrad said:
SO you would say Westinghouse is a good brand or good LCD? BesBuy around here has em pretty cheap, maybe Ill go with that one or one like it...
Westinghouse gets good reviews and I like mine. If you use it with a media center PC, SAT box, etc., it is a good idea to get a universal remote. I have a Harmony 676 that I like.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
pi3yeargrad said:
Hey, also whats this 720p or 1080p or 1080i?? whats the difference and which is better?
1080p is the best. 1080i and 720p are about the same. right now no signals are 1080p, so it will be somewhat of a waste of money unless you hook up HDDVD or bluray. if you're going 42" just get a 720p, IMO. i got a 56" toshiba DLP 1080p and i love it, but i can't tell a difference between it and my friend's 720p LCD.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Samsung is great. I have one and like it a lot. 1080i is a must. I the "i" means interlaced. That means it is tops as far as picture quality, etc.

Stick w/ LCD. Plazma in my opinion still costs more and is unproven in the long run.

Tim
----------
2004 KC SE - Granite
4x4
Off-road Package
Big Tow Package
Utili-track System
Bed Extender
Sirius Replay (Howard!)
Add-a-leaf Spring at rear
Hercules Terra Trac Tires LT285/70/R17

Towing: 2007 Keystone Sydney 5th Wheel 31FQBHS– 35’-2”L
Hitch: Reese 16K 5th wheel with slide

·
Registered
49 Posts
Alright - "i" or "p"

i - interlaced
p - progressive scan ???

Tim
--------------
2004 KC SE - Granite
4x4
Off-road Package
Big Tow Package
Utili-track System
Bed Extender
Sirius Replay (Howard!)
Add-a-leaf Spring at rear
Hercules Terra Trac Tires LT285/70/R17

Towing: 2007 Keystone Sydney 5th Wheel 31FQBHS– 35’-2”L
Hitch: Reese 16K 5th wheel with slide

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
lol...so pretty much everythings good? How bout this... I go look at em and see em in person and if it isnt a name brand but the picture looks crisp and nice... just buy it? lol... Im kinda gettin, that pretty much anything is good...lol...everyone likes what they got and theyre all different...

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
So whats up with the "vertical scanning lines" that should be high? 1080 is the best? 768 is ok though still??

Also, what about brightness... what should I get... Im looking at one which has 450 cd/m² and another 600 cd/m²... which is better? is brighter better? and whats better a smaller or larger number which means brighter?

Also, hat contrast ratio, which is better? Ive seen some 800:1... most are 1000:1 and some are 1600:1.. which is best or what? How does that work?

Oh [email protected] samsung comes with like 4000:1, 8000:1, 10000:1 and up contrast ratios... what does that mean, better pic or??

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Man, I heard that plasma was NOT the way to go back in the day and that they would be overrun by LCDs... but is that true? Anyone got any sites to see whats up like news-wise... I dont know now if I should go plasma or LCD... Which is more expensive to fix if they break down, anyone know? And which are said to last longer?

·
Registered
285 Posts
:thedevil: I will be the devils advocate: What about HDMI, Composite or DVI connection. What about response time to reduce ghosting.

Sounds like you are about to go crazy looking for a TV. Don't get to overwhelmed with all of the details. Just go to the store and look at the TV's. Pick out what looks the best to you and what is in your budget.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts