Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the forum. I am hoping to be a Titan owner pretty soon. I put a deposit on a 2004 Titan LE CrewCab 4X4 with 140k miles on it. The truck is in pretty good condition. I was told that the truck was a company vehicle and used for commuting. The hitch is in perfect condition, so it probably has never towed anything. I am planning to primarily use it for towing my boat and occasional commuting. It will not be used day to day. It is price 4k below the Kelly Blue book value. Do you guys have any thoughts on the mileage? Is there anything I should look out for or be aware of? I appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
Tommy

·
Registered
686 Posts
I would have the following checked:

Exhaust Manifolds for cracks
Rear axle seals leaking
Radiator leaking near the bottom plastic section
Rear Shackles
Rear diff noise of any sort

That would be a good start!

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I've had 2 2004s and they've both been good trucks. I put about 100k miles on them so far (I have an 04 now). Differentials, axle seals, brake rotors, PS hose were some trouble areas for some people.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Have an 04' bought used in 2006 with 12K on her. Have had all of the above addressed over the years, replaced rear axle under covered by Nissan, brake recall mostly covered by Nissan, fixed radiator and manifolds covered by me!!! But I have over 154K on her now and shes running STRONG as ever!!! Love my truck hope to get at least 200K!!! Good luck! Only thing about a "company truck" is you don't know how many different people drover her! Truck may have been abused bc nobody cares if it's not "their" truck! Good luck! How much you pay if you don't mind me asking???

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the responses. I have a few days to decide if I want to buy it. I asked a mechanic friend to take a look at it. He'll know more of what to look for than myself. They are selling it for $10,999 and KBB has the suggested retail value in excellent condition for $15,350. The private party value is $13,250 in excellent condition and $12,450 in good condition. I really don't know how meaningful their price is. I'll keep you guys posted. I really appreciate your help. Here are some pictures of the truck 2004 Titan LE 4X4 pictures by tomytek - Photobucket

Thanks,
Tommy

·
Registered
763 Posts
I've put 135,000 miles on my 06 and it runs better now than it did when I bought it. I do most of my own maintainance (probably why I've had no major problems).
I don't think high mileage is an issue.

·
Premium Member
46,453 Posts
Looks like a nice truck.

I was looking at the 100k or so mile Titans, they hold their value. I walked away from a few trucks for various reasons I spotted, took awhile to find mine, take it to a mechanic if you are not sure what to look for. Did you look up the carfax or any of those type reports?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I drive an '04 with 115,000 miles on it. It runs STRONG!!! I tow and haul with it frequently (sometimes a 7500lbs trailer!), and I off-road, hunt, camp, you name it, I've done it in this truck! I have a serious love affair going on with this thing, but it has had its down-times, too:

Early on:
Brake Recall
IPDM Recall

Later (around 80,000 miles):
Rear left axle seal

Recently (95,000 miles-present):
Entire front differential went out, had to have spider gears and a CV joint replaced

Honestly, I see these as "issues" that any truck is going to have, especially if it is used like it should be. I don't beat on my truck by any means, but it is certainly a work and play truck!

One more thing you might like to check is to make sure there is ABSOLUTELY NO CORROSION on you (+) battery terminal. Corrosion will cause the computer to act up, and may not let you start the truck when it is most needed! A wire brush and baking soda are your friends!!!

Anyway, hope this helps. If you get it, I hope you love your T as much as I do! I plan on squeezing 400,000 miles out of her! Enjoy!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you everyone for your info and advice. I really appreciate it. I am now a Titan owner. I am very happy with the truck so far. My mechanic friend said that he really couldn't see anything wrong with it. He even wanted to buy it himself. I will now be looking for some accessories for it. Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
413 Posts
157K and counting on my '05. You'll be alright, but all the things listed can and probably will happen.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Good luck with it. I have had zero issues with my T. I did the brake recall back in 05. Kinda waiting for the radiator and manifold leaks to happen. I only have 70,000 miles and I am the original owner.
If nothing else, get you a Superchips tuner for it. You will be happy you did. It's about the only brand handheld that is made for the 04's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts