Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Purchased the Titan about 2 weeks ago. This Thursday I leave for Road Atlanta (9 hour tow) hauling my Z06 on my 18' full-deck car hauler. The trailer is around 2200lbs and the car 2800 (it's gutted) so total load is only 5000-5100lbs.

I load my bed tool box with tools and jackstands etc. and carry 4 5 gallon fuel jugs, spare wheels/tires, my popup tent, chairs, and my cooler in the bed of the truck.

This Sunday I took the time to test load everything and re-set my Equalizer hitch for the Titan. Previously I towed with a GMC Canyon and the Titan's hitch sits about 3" higher.

I was disappointed to see that the rear of the truck sags a bit when loaded. Yes, if I crank the Equalizer's bars up I can level the truck out, but to do that the bars are way loaded and you can see them bending. IMO it was too much and the real solution is airbags.

On my Canyon I had a set of Airlfit ride control springs. When loaded and towing I'd air them up to 70lbs and the truck towed everything perfectly and level, just didn't have a ton of grunt from the 3.5L I5.

Here's the Canyon fully loaded and totally level with zero squat

I don't have a picture of the Titan loaded up. It doesn't sag bad, but it's still sagging to the point the nose is up a bit. I measured the stock wheel gap @ 5" rear and 4.5" front unloaded. When loaded and hitched with the Equalizer in a normal setting I was at 4" rear and a little over 5" front.

The truck really needs some airbags to level it out properly. I tried loading it up w/o my equalizer hitch just using a normal 4" drop hitch and it sagged to a little over 3" rear and 5.5" up front. For comparison my Father's 4x4 F-150 sags maybe 1/2" max when fully laden with the same stuff using a plain old 6" drop hitch. I guess his 4x4 off-road package has much stiffer rear suspension (mine's a 4x2).

So.... anyone run airbags? Which model/brand? How's the install? I wasn't planning on having to install bags on this "big" truck. Wish I could just snag the ones off the Canyon but it looks like they're too small and install in a different manner.

Thanks

Brian

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Looks like Airlift is still the way to go and kit 59554 is the one for our trucks. Sucks that you have to drill the frame to install. The setup for my Canyon is no-drill.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok.... just to update this maybe I spoke too soon. The standard shank on my hitch allows for a maximum 3" drop which wasn't enough with the Titan. I got a new shank that allows up to 6" drop and the trailer is now nice and level (my trailer is low). Lowering the hitch head increases the distribution effect and everythign is much more in line.

Unloaded the panel/tire gap was 5" rear and 4.5" front. Now fully loaded with everything adjusted correctly and the car positioned better on the trailer I'm at 4" rear and 4.75" front which is pretty much what you want. The truck pulls 5100lbs like it's not even there, feels stronger than my father's F-150 for sure.

Will report back after the trip to Road Atlanta.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Looks like somebody is gonna have fun this weekend.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's the plan :) Weather is looking good too.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Ok.... just to update this maybe I spoke too soon. The standard shank on my hitch allows for a maximum 3" drop which wasn't enough with the Titan. I got a new shank that allows up to 6" drop and the trailer is now nice and level (my trailer is low). Lowering the hitch head increases the distribution effect and everythign is much more in line.
Bingo...! thats what i did and got a great level load!

Unloaded the panel/tire gap was 5" rear and 4.5" front. Now fully loaded with everything adjusted correctly and the car positioned better on the trailer I'm at 4" rear and 4.75" front which is pretty much what you want. The truck pulls 5100lbs like it's not even there, feels stronger than my father's F-150 for sure.

Will report back after the trip to Road Atlanta.

I'm about the same, and tow nearly exactly what you tow, about 5100#........I didn't want to buy or mess with airbags, so i went with the AAL i mention in my post here:
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/2241867-post1299.html

I agree too, the Titan pulls 5000# worth of load no problem at all!

The AAL isn't jerky or super stiff either, it didn't harsh up the ride much at all when daily driving...

good to see your a fellow track guy!
-J

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What kind of hitch do you have? After getting the proper shank allowing 6" of drop the measurements were much better. Not sure I need the bags now. Going to see how it pulls my fathers 24' enclosed which is about 7000-7500lbs loaded. May need the bags for that job figuring about 10% tongue weight.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Ya, i figure a tongue weight that high you probably will...

I have the curt hitch with this drop hitch made by reese:

Curt hitch bought at local hitch supply store for $119.99:

Reese hitch bought at AutoZone for $39.99

I then have the AAL i mention in my post and purchased Load E BFG tires to help towing and the Titan does great!

-J

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh ok so you're not using a distribution hitch setup. I have an Equalizer 6000lb setup that was a carry-over from towing with the Canyon.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
So did you get all of your trailer wiring issues worked out then?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Me? I never had any wiring issues other than learning where the 3 relays were supposed to go for the OEM setup. Turns out I had them already installed so I was good to go.

Just finished fixing an in-op RR trailer brake... ALWAYS test tow before a long trip. Turns out one of the wires had broken. Now that I have every last thing in the truck ready to hit the road tomorrow after work it does sag more than I'd like. I'm at 3" of gap rear and a little over 4 front vs. 5" rear and 4.5 unloaded. I'll probably build a tire rack and storage compartment on the trailer this winter to get some crap out of the truck.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Oh ok so you're not using a distribution hitch setup. I have an Equalizer 6000lb setup that was a carry-over from towing with the Canyon.
ya, thats what i got so far........just like you, i bought the truck and a week later i was towing to an event! I have 3,000 miles on this titan now and have towed to 5 events already...LoL..

-J

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's a pic I snapped this morning before heading to work... then hitting the road. Sagging a bit more than I'd like, but then again I do have the bed tool box full, wheel/tires, popup tent, boards, tarp, chairs, fuel jugs, etc. Inside the cab I have my fluids/oils tub, spare parts tub, and clothes etc. etc.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah... I've had good luck w/ the bags on the Canyon and I like that I can air them down when not towing.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I'm a dumbass... I parked it at work this AM and walking it I was looking at the right side of the truck and it looked much more level. Didn't think mch of it and figured I'd try cranking the bars up one notch before hitting the road. Went out at lunch and realized I had the driver's side L-bracket one hole lower than the right... thus the LR sagged worst than the RR which is why that pic from this AM looked worse than looking at the right side when walking out of work. Anyway... fixed it ... now I'm at 3.5" wheel to body in the rear and 4" in the front. Could probably crank the bars up one notch like I'd originally planned, but no real need. As of now I'm back to thinking bags won't be needed.

·
Registered
602 Posts
u should be alright with 7-7.5k my camper is 30' loaded is 7500 and i have it adjusted and is perfectly level and pulss great

·
Super Moderator
37,050 Posts
I use Airlift and they work great.

I have an 8000lbs TT with heavy duty spring bars. I air the bag up about 40PSI depending on how much the wife puts in the trailer.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here's a better picture with the the hitch bars adjusted evenly with even more weight in the bed (packed in the cooler and a few extra chairs when I got my father in NC on the way down).

·
Registered
36 Posts
FYI.....if you eventually decide you need the airbags. I put the firestone bags on my truck as my trailer weighs a lot more than your setup. Install took me a little while just because I wasn't sure what I was doing and didn't want to get anything wrong. The good thing is that the firestone kit is a no-drill kit. It is made to match up with any holes already in the frame. The only drilling I did was 2 small holes for the air chucks, and I did that in the bracket that holds the wire harness back by the hitch. Pretty slick. I didn't get the kit with the compressor, but I'm now thinking I want to add the compressor to it. Maybe Santa will be nice to me this Christmas and buy me a compressor. Getting a bit tired of having to go back and check the air level everytime I'm going anywhere.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts