Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a loud clack (1) when I shift from Park to Reverse or Drive. But it is a little more difficult than usual to engage the shift. Haven't been able to attribute it to anything in particular, dealer says, "IT'S NORMAL"...Crap:futwice:

·
Registered
41,353 Posts
the clunk is normal, but the shifting shouldn't be an issue. do you park on a hill. Every Automatic I have ever owned has done this. It's a bit of slop in the drivetrain. When you put it in park the truck (esp. on an incline) will still move a slight bit. this puts stress on the drivetrain, so when you go to shift into R or D you get a clunk from the tension being released

·
Premium Member
6,099 Posts
This is why you should engage the parking brake while still in drive, release foot brake to allow the truck to rest on parking brake, then shift to park. I do this every time I park and I never have an issue shifting, whether being on a hill or not.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Sammy Sandbag said:
This is why you should engage the parking brake while still in drive, release foot brake to allow the truck to rest on parking brake, then shift to park. I do this every time I park and I never have an issue shifting, whether being on a hill or not.
Thats real good advise, I do this all the time because I just hate the fact that my truck's weight is bearing down on the tranny and not on the brakes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sammy Sandbag said:
Sammy, good to know. Also I went ahead and got that grille you recommended. I'll have to remember..
1) Stop
2)set brake
3) put'er in park!

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
dj_empyre said:
Sammy, good to know. Also I went ahead and got that grille you recommended. I'll have to remember..
1) Stop
2)set brake
3) put'er in park!
No it's Stop, Apply Parkign Brake, Put in Neutral, Let it roll back (or forward) then put it in park :)

·
Premium Member
6,099 Posts
Justintoxicated said:
No it's Stop, Apply Parkign Brake, Put in Neutral, Let it roll back (or forward) then put it in park :)
Works just fine while still in drive. You just don't want to put it in park before you let the vehicle rest on the parking brake.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Sammy Sandbag said:
Works just fine while still in drive. You just don't want to put it in park before you let the vehicle rest on the parking brake.
I park on a really steep hill and it sometimes will still Pop a bit unless I shifted into N first and let it roll back a bit untill the parking break grabs. ALthough not nearly as bad as if I did not use the parking brake first.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Just don't forget to take off the Ebrake because you're not used to setting it :p i did it a few times when i first started doing this

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I use my e brake every time. Put the brake on, shift to neutral, allow it to roll and stop, or in park. Profit.

Boy does the Autoguide app for Android suck. Give
titantalk.com back to tapatalk.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I've heard bad things about the e brake on the Titan, so I avoid using mine as much as possible.
More likely to "go bad" if you don't use it regularly. Things are more likely to start to rust/freeze without use. I'm not sure what you're trying to avoid?

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have heard from other members on this forum that the parking brake shoes can fall off inside the wheel and really make a mess of things, including rupturing the axle seals. Also mentioned was the bracket that holds the shoes is aluminum and is prone to snapping off, which can cause a lot of damage as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts