Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey guys i need help!!! in the last 1500 miles i have notices a loud whining coming from the front of my vehicle. i took it to the dealer and they were able to replicate the sound which was very loud and annoying. they told me that it was the bfg tires because their offroad tires and thats normal, i told them that it was to loud to be normal but thats all they would say. so today i go buy new tires and wheels and put street tires on and its doing the exact same thing and exact same noise. so now i know its not the tires. it sounds exactly like a rearend thats low on grease but its coming from the front. it really sounds like its turning in 4wd and theres not enough fluid in the differential. it does it in 2wd and 4wd, in nuetral costing and varies with speed. it seems the longer you drive the louder it gets and the more annoying. any suggestions? the best way to desrcribe is like a differential low on fluid. could they have forgot to fill my front differential up all the way. would that make a difference? could it be a bearing? a bad axle? im stupped and the dealer says its normal. theres no way its normal!! i have drove other titans and they do not do this and now i even reolaced my tires :crying: . please help!!!!

·
Super Moderator
34,523 Posts
Wow, take it back to the dealer and make them check everything now that you have proven it's not the tires. And they owe you for tires you didn't need, don't forget to point that out as well.

And don't forget you can call NissanUSA too.

Guess that dealership won't be sending out the "How did you like our service" survey!

Good luck,

37L1

·
Premium Member
17,116 Posts
1. Your dealer is a #$%&^@*&^$!!

2. Lift the hood with the truck in neutral and have somebody rev the engine a bit and turn the steering wheel from side to side. If you don't hear any wine, that probably eliminates stuff like power steering pump, belts, and alternator.

3. Many things can cause front end whine. You know it is not tires. If it is a front wheel bearing, the sound will typically change if you are driving along and turn the steering wheel left and right (like changing a couple of lanes on the highway). As you know, the differential can be a source of whine from a bad gear, low fluid (I hope the fluid was checked before spending alot of $ on tires) improper backlash, or a bad pinion bearing.

4. Tell the #$%&^@*&^$!! to get it up on the lift and use a listening device to diagnose the noise.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys for reply but what actually is turning when your not in 4x4 mode. i know the axles are turning but whats turning inside the differential. i knew before i bought those wheels that wanst the problem but my dealer says oh thats normal. so when i take it this time im going to say i guess thats normal with these tires also right :boxing:. the more i think about it the mader i get. why will they not listen to the customer. some of us are educated. i did kill the engine while driving and the noise persisted thats why im stumped. it really sounds like a diff low on fluid but if you get over a certaim mph it almost goes away. you can hear it faintly but not as loud as at certain other speeds. if its not i 4wd the axle isnt turning so im not sure that why i am asking you guys before i go back to the dealer. it did not do this when i bought it. i test drove it 5 times different places and different speeds. thanks and i believe we have more knowledge on this forum than the dealers have in thier shops :boxing:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Drive theirs

Sorry to make this sound stupid but,

Your at the dealership right? The guy says it is normal, humm lets drive one of his trucks and see if the sound is there? If his truck makes the same sound well, it probably is normal. :boxing: If not offer to trade your normal truck for his abnormal one. Don't keep taking crap from these guys. Ask to speak to the general manager and if that doesn't get it then get the Regional Service manager involved.

Don't forget to keep us up to date with the resolution :cheers:

·
Registered
429 Posts
got_titan said:
thanks guys for reply but what actually is turning when your not in 4x4 mode. i know the axles are turning but whats turning inside the differential. i knew before i bought those wheels that wanst the problem but my dealer says oh thats normal. so when i take it this time im going to say i guess thats normal with these tires also right :boxing:. the more i think about it the mader i get. why will they not listen to the customer. some of us are educated. i did kill the engine while driving and the noise persisted thats why im stumped. it really sounds like a diff low on fluid but if you get over a certaim mph it almost goes away. you can hear it faintly but not as loud as at certain other speeds. if its not i 4wd the axle isnt turning so im not sure that why i am asking you guys before i go back to the dealer. it did not do this when i bought it. i test drove it 5 times different places and different speeds. thanks and i believe we have more knowledge on this forum than the dealers have in thier shops :boxing:
Sorry to hear about your problem. Dealers are %*#@ idiots! Did you try or do you know a regular mechanic? Has anyone ever taken their Titan to a regular mechanic? I am planning to, I personally know two but I am not sure how experienced they are w/Titan's since it is so new. But their expertise as mechanics are reliable and trustworthy. So far i've been reading for anyone having problems taking it to the dealer. I am planning never to take it to the stealer er dealership. - Take Care!

·
Registered
356 Posts
got_titan said:
hey guys i need help!!! in the last 1500 miles i have notices a loud whining coming from the front of my vehicle. i took it to the dealer and they were able to replicate the sound which was very loud and annoying. they told me that it was the bfg tires because their offroad tires and thats normal, i told them that it was to loud to be normal but thats all they would say. so today i go buy new tires and wheels and put street tires on and its doing the exact same thing and exact same noise. so now i know its not the tires. it sounds exactly like a rearend thats low on grease but its coming from the front. it really sounds like its turning in 4wd and theres not enough fluid in the differential. it does it in 2wd and 4wd, in nuetral costing and varies with speed. it seems the longer you drive the louder it gets and the more annoying. any suggestions? the best way to desrcribe is like a differential low on fluid. could they have forgot to fill my front differential up all the way. would that make a difference? could it be a bearing? a bad axle? im stupped and the dealer says its normal. theres no way its normal!! i have drove other titans and they do not do this and now i even reolaced my tires :crying: . please help!!!!
You might have a partially engaged lockout in one of the front joints. I had this happen to a Mazda once, it was the dead of winter and the auto-locking hub didn't release all the way. I ended up going to a empty parking lot and driving in reverse in a circle and it finally released. It was about 10 below zero and snowy when it happened, I locked in the 4x4 to get to work and left it in during work. It made the whinning noise on my way home. If you turn the truck sharply, do you feel some binding like it is in 4x4 mode? Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no binding when turnung i can actually tell when its in 4wd but im still stumped on whats could be turning in the front that would make that noise when its out of 4wd. i let my good friend thats a reputable mechanic and he said it sounded like the frunt diff was low on fluid. i then explained that theres nothing turning except axles until its switched into 4wd. i did drive another titan and it did not do the same thing but they said its normal to get a noisy tire with the offroad package. i called bs from the first but they keep saying its normal. :boxing:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Sorry to hear about you luck with your service dept. I would try another service dept/dealer, if there is one with in 20-30 miles from you. They are without a doubt the laziest, most incompetent service department. A whining nosie is not normal in any circumstances. I would either bring it to another dealer or start working your way up the chain of command. Starting with the GM. I would even bypass the Service Manager. DO NOT put down your guards, or take the "it is normal" BS. You know it is not normal, and they need to fix it. Hope things work out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Are you sure the front diff doesnt move in 2wd? My previous Dodge dakota 4x4 in 2wd would still turn the front diff/drive shaft. The connection for the front was in the transfer case........I think anyway. Not sure if the titans are the same but you could lift it up and spin the wheels and see if its moving. Check the front diff fluid. I also notice a slight whine when at highway speeds and the tone changes with various speeds. This may be normal i've heard this on different vehicles before. :teethmast

·
Registered
429 Posts
1Titan said:
Sorry to hear about your problem. Dealers are %*#@ idiots! Did you try or do you know a regular mechanic? Has anyone ever taken their Titan to a regular mechanic? I am planning to, I personally know two but I am not sure how experienced they are w/Titan's since it is so new. But their expertise as mechanics are reliable and trustworthy. So far i've been reading for anyone having problems taking it to the dealer. I am planning never to take it to the stealer er dealership. - Take Care!
Sorry guys I need to correct myself. It was late and I should have been sleeping but decided to comment on &*[email protected]#% dealer service. I forgot when you have actual problems you need to take it to the dealer while under warranty of course if you want it fixed for free. What I actually meant was if anyone ever took their vehicle to a regular mechanic for routine service. That we can do on our own or by a certified ASE mechanic.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
guys i wanted to tell you that my service dept so far has fixed everythging that i have asked so far. they just say this is normal. i have been on them to look at this again and they agreed to look and see if there may be a problem . so far they have done very good but this problem is annoying and i think they dont know what it is so they say its normal. thats why i come to you guys. thanks for the relplys and any others are welcome :cheers:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts