Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I absolutely HATE love bugs. :crying: Does anybody here know how to "deal" with them?

P.S. If you don't know what love bugs are consider yourself blessed.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Bayou Titan said:
I absolutely HATE love bugs. :crying: Does anybody here know how to "deal" with them?

I must be blessed..........

·
Registered
901 Posts
It's a southern thing. And they can't get to Hawaii.
The solution is to buy the biggest pickup you can find with the largest amount of chrome on the front (their juice cleans off chrome), then add a hood protector, and lots and lots of wax.

The chrome front was a big factor on my purchase of the Titan considering the lovebugs in FL.

·
Registered
232 Posts
juice?

Is this a bug or a fruit.

In New Jersey a Love Bug is a car from Germany or a FBI wire that catches people in private moments.

Mike H. said:
It's a southern thing. And they can't get to Hawaii.
The solution is to buy the biggest pickup you can find with the largest amount of chrome on the front (their juice cleans off chrome), then add a hood protector, and lots and lots of wax.

The chrome front was a big factor on my purchase of the Titan considering the lovebugs in FL.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Claim: "Love bugs" are the result of a genetic experiment gone wrong.

Origins: The "love bug" (also known as the honeymoon fly, telephone bug, double-headed bug, united bug, and March fly) is a nuisance any Florida motorist is unhappily more than passingly familiar with. Though these bugs neither bite nor sting, at certain times of the year their sheer numbers transform these innocuous insects into airborne hordes seemingly determined to devil anyone fool enough to take to the road. The adults splatter on windshields, lights, grills, and radiators of motor vehicles, and their dried remains are hard to remove. Suicidal pairs of love bugs have been known to cause overheating of motors when large numbers of them are drawn into the cooling systems of liquid-cooled engines. Unlike other bugs, something particular to them adversely affects the paint jobs on cars, pitting and etching the paint if their mortal remains are left on a vehicle for more than 48 hours

http://creatures.ifas.ufl.edu/misc/lovebug.htm
check out the headlight picture on the above page

·
Registered
232 Posts
Oh.. Plecia Neartica.

They look like fun :rolleyes:

I think I need to quit my day job and move to Florida and open a string of "Bug Be Gone" carwashes.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I hear ya.. With frequent drive between Miami & Sarasota & Miami &… the only thing that seemed to help was “sure a bug shield” but I don’t have one. Using a mild wax on splatter zones prior to the drive really helps & a toped off windshield water tank with cleaner. If you don’t have the time to clean when you arrive @ least try to nail it with a water hose. When cleaning these buggers a mild wax again helps posts washing & cleaning. I guess the only sure option is never exceed 20mph , but then we may have a new type of splatter altogether. If you have any Ideas please post them.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Bayou Titan said:

OK, LOL :jester: , i thought love bugs were something special I had never heard about before. Yep, I live in Jacksonville, Florida and know all about them.......

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Bayou Titan said:

Move north. I was down south on a long motorcycle trip one time with no fairing, just a full face shield helmet. It was really gross.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Love bugs suck! They were introduced up at UF to control mosquitos. Didn't do much there. I noticed they were starting to swarm near my house this past weekend.
Through the years I know people have tried everything to protect their vehicles.
1. Spraying Pam on the front end- failure since the Pam won't come off either. Leaves a greasy film (with bug parts) on paint and chrome.
2. Using vasoline on front end- same results as Pam.
3. Waxing more often- seems to be the best solution. Still have to wash the vehicle to remove every bug part or they will eat through the wax and paint. Good wax seems to make bug removal easier but get to them quickly.
4. Using bug screens- parts go through the screen so you have to remove the screen to clean under them often.
5. Bug shields- do ok for that part of hood.
6. Don't drive. Only sure fire solution.

Only solution is to hope the season is short and weak. :gunz:
Jay

·
Registered
27 Posts
I feel for you Floridians. Up in Kentucky we have deer running all over the place. They will definitely mess up a front end and sometimes come through the windshield.

Bird crap will also eat through the clearcoat if not removed promptly.

I hate bird crap.

·
Registered
473 Posts
44mag, birds are nothing...

You should see what it is like to be hit by a pellican!

My windshield got whitewashed one morning. almost drove off the bridge!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ah man, Doghouse. Pellicans!!!!!!!!

I bet when they let loose, it ain't pretty. I think they fly around just waiting for new vehicles to come driving by.

I'll tell you what really irks me. When people in parking lots don't put their carts in the corrals. I always try to park away from the masses but that just gives those dang carts more distance to pick up speed! Man, I hate that.

·
Registered
727 Posts
44mag said:
Ah man, Doghouse. Pellicans!!!!!!!!

I bet when they let loose, it ain't pretty. I think they fly around just waiting for new vehicles to come driving by.

I'll tell you what really irks me. When people in parking lots don't put their carts in the corrals. I always try to park away from the masses but that just gives those dang carts more distance to pick up speed! Man, I hate that.
Noticed this at Home Depot today, while the wind has even the big carts sailing around.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts