Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've used low range not often in my pro4x, only a couple times on this particular short driveway, a driveway that is not particularly slippery but is steep enough to feel more comfortable in low range assuming it were a bit longer.

Now, coming from a tacoma 5-speed (manual), I'm not particularly pleased with the lack of compression braking with 1st gear in the low range in the Titan. In the tacoma, you could completely let off the clutch pedal in 1st gear - low and the truck would move slowly enough via compression braking to never need to hit the brake. In fact 1st was hardly ever used.

In the titan, the truck is moving too fast in 1st - low for my comfort. I could see some terrain where I would want some more braking power (without using the brake pedal). Can someone educate me - is this the case with all automatic / 4wd vehicles, or did Nissan neglect to bless us with decent gearing in the low range? Having to use the brake pedal to control speed seems like a mistake when you're going less than 5mph on steep terrain. But then again, I'm no hardcore offroader, i just know the roads I've been on with the tacoma and a truck feels more confident when you're accelerating with the gas pedal rather than slowing down with the brake pedal.

Am i the only one? Am I just a *****? :futwice:

·
Registered
940 Posts
An auto trans will never have the compression braking that a manual trans does. A manual provides much more vehicle control, that's why you rarely see an auto in a race car.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Most post on our tranny, are complaints or concerns of "It holds my speed downhill", why? :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts