Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friends dad has a 2004 Nissan Titan (RWD) This thing has about 50,000 on the clock and its got a NASTY leak from the lower oil pan. (The small one.. It looks like a big tumor on the oil pan.) I have been trying to locate the gasket for this part, but Ive been told by local part stores that it is just silicone. Please somebody help me with this. Im not willing to rip the truck apart without finding out first.

·
Super Moderator
93,665 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That answers my question. Thanks Arachnid! I swear, This guy that owns the truck is giving you guys a bad name. I first noticed the leak when he got bored and decided to change his oil. The only problem is that he had literally waited about 12,000 miles to change it. Am I opening a can of worms or should I send him to a shop?

·
Super Moderator
93,665 Posts
I have replaced oil pan gaskets before, but not on this truck. It shouldn't be that difficult.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ive had to replace gaskets as well, Im just wondering whether or not this is gonna be a liability. I dont want the truck to launch a rod and then have the guy come after me cause im the last one who touched it. One of the techs at the dealership told me the truck should be fine, But 12,000 miles sounds like a LONG time to me. Youve been a lot of help

·
Super Moderator
93,665 Posts
If it was my truck I'd replace it, but it sounds like he's not too worried about it. Good luck!

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
smokey2valve said:
Ive had to replace gaskets as well, Im just wondering whether or not this is gonna be a liability. I dont want the truck to launch a rod and then have the guy come after me cause im the last one who touched it. One of the techs at the dealership told me the truck should be fine, But 12,000 miles sounds like a LONG time to me. Youve been a lot of help
If you're concerned about his reaction to your helping him, send him to the dealer. If he maintains it in the future, he'll be OK, assuming he hasn't let it run real low and driven it dry. I wouldn't touch it, since you're uncomfortable with him, and he doesn't exude respect for his engine.

Don't risk your reputation/relationship with him. Hopefully it last longer than his next oil change interval. :)

·
Premium Member
31,979 Posts
Be sure to apply a good amount of RTV around the bolt holes as well. Fluids like to sneak out of those places.

·
Registered
6,055 Posts
I've used the cardboard from a box of cereal to make gaskets before on my quads. It works very well along with some gasket sealant. Just throwing that out for future reference. Just use the RTV silicone like was already suggested for this application.

·
Registered
15 Posts
take it off and clean bothe surface good. apply some grey sealer in a good bead around the pan and reinstall. should fix the problem. there is no factory gasket on it just sealer.
stevie ray nissan tech

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
smokey2valve said:
My friends dad has a 2004 Nissan Titan (RWD) This thing has about 50,000 on the clock and its got a NASTY leak from the lower oil pan. (The small one.. It looks like a big tumor on the oil pan.) I have been trying to locate the gasket for this part, but Ive been told by local part stores that it is just silicone. Please somebody help me with this. Im not willing to rip the truck apart without finding out first.
This is covered by the powertrain warranty 5 yrs-60,000 miles

1 - 13 of 13 Posts