Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I continue to explore more and more of the SoCal desert in my truck, I'm considering buying the Lowrance HDS-8m Baja GPS Chartplotter. The idea of pulling on the dirt, creating a waypoint, and taking off to go wherever i want, not having to worry about how to get back to my starting point is very appealing; as well as downloading trails and race courses to jump on (for non race weekends). My initial idea was to install it right where the factor head unit is, but my question is whether or not I should have a audio dealer install it or if I should take it to a race prep shop for the install? I don't want to do anything crazy and end up being talking into a full on custom dash or something like that. Although I know to a certain extent, the install would be considered "custom." Any ideas/suggestions? Anyone tried this before?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Morning bump :bump:

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Is that thing really $1,500? If you can find PC based GPS software that meets your needs, you might look into a miniITX carputer w/ GPS receiver and a 7" touchscreen mounted in the factory NAV bezel. Then you could run all kinds of software, play mp3s, movies, run Uprev's Cipher, use your cell phone to connect the carputer to the net, etc., etc. ,etc.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is that thing really $1,500? If you can find PC based GPS software that meets your needs, you might look into a miniITX carputer w/ GPS receiver and a 7" touchscreen mounted in the factory NAV bezel. Then you could run all kinds of software, play mp3s, movies, run Uprev's Cipher, use your cell phone to connect the carputer to the net, etc., etc. ,etc.
Yes, that's the one. I've not heard of miniITX before. I'll definitely look into it. I'm cringing about spending that much, but the HDS 5 Baja GPS looks too small and I'm pretty sure i'd be disappointed if I went with that one. It's only a 5" screen. But functionally they are nearly the same...

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
logicsupply.com and mp3car.com are a couple of places to look.

If you search for carputer here I think you can see a few threads where people have added a touch screen and the factory NAV bezel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts