Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a set of Firestone Transforce HT tires put on today. They have an 80 lbs max listed. The Nissan dealer sent me out of there with them on 39lbs. I'm wondering if anyone would have a recommended tire pressure for these. I tow about 8000 with my 5th wheel.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
I'd definetely run 80 at full looad, while probably good with 60-65 for normal driving. No comparison to Chassis label as this is a totally different tire. I manage a small truck fleet with dozens of LT "E" tires and bigger. See how it handles, brakes at 60-65 for everyday driving. But always 80 with the trailer.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I run a similiar tire but they are Goodyear Wrangler 275/65 R18 Load Range E. Towing my 29ft 7500lbs loaded Travel Trailer on my last trip, 750 miles round trip to Buffalo NY I ran 65 rear and 55 front. My tire shop set the pressures like your dealer did and the truck was very squirmy. They told me it was a starting point as these tires pressure would need to be tinkered with to find out what works best. Bumping the pressure made a big difference. I am going to air up the fronts to 60 this week and see if it improves things even more. IMHO there is no reason to ever run 80psi in these tires on a Titan. 80psi is the max inflation for max payload use and the Titan will break a great many parts before the tires will ever see that kind of load. More than likely you would just have a harsh ride and wear the center tread out. I bought these tires so I didn't have to air them up to max for a good feel like the OEM junkers. Bottom line is start at 65 psi and go from there. It is a feel thing. A good portable compresser is a good item to tweak between stops towing your 5er. Good luck! BTW I love the LT's!

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
80 psi is when you are loading up the tires to their max rating...What is their max rating? I'm betting around 3200 lbs...Even with the truck fully loaded to it's max GVWR you still won't need 80 psi...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think they have a 3600 max load rating. I know I will never go that heavy on the truck. The 5th wheel says it has an 1100 payload. I would say it is probably aound 1250 with a bit of gear in it, plust the 16K husky slider hitch in the bed is another 150-200 lbs. I've added the airlift airbags and front end leveling kit and the truck sits great when loaded (or not). I am very happy with the performance up, but the OEM tires just got worn out and I figured I would replace them with a better (more heavy duty) tire. I know I should have just bought a 3/4 tone truck, but I love the titan. I put it up to 50lbs on all four last night and took a ride. Couldn't really tell anything. I am going to take tem all up to 60 today and see how that feels when I load on the camper and bring it home from storage tomorrow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts