Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm Ross and I'm an alcoholic...wait... wrong club, haha JK! Hello everyone, lurked long enough, I'll finally start contributing! Here's a quick view of my entrance to Nissan world:

Long time Silverado owner, finally changed it up. 2 weeks ago, bought a black 05 Titan SE CC with 61,000 (immaculate body), yeah I know, I'm now taking bets as to what kind of drivetrain failure I'll have first, haha! Hopefully none. So I went ahead and ordered the Mag Hytec rear diff cover right away and am going to do the axle vent mod right away, which is crazy by the way, literally every truck I've ever owned always had a vent hose going up to the box!

Anyway, long story short, the truck is still at the dealer (2 weeks). It had a slight high freq vibration at highway speeds, felt everywhere, seemingly from the drivetrain. Condition of sale was, they fix it. They put in a transfer case, because of the TSB on it. They now are replacing some 4wd module to see if it will help with coming out of 4x faster. (I read all about it, not that big of deal to me, but I don't think it should be that way.) I was putting money on the front driveshaft u-joints or the front dif but we'll just have to see. So hopefully tomorrow I'll get it back from them all whipped into shape! They also did the fuel pump sending unit, a/c condensor fan and ipdm recalls.

So just a quick tech question:

-What kind of mechanism in the transfer case actuates the gears, is it a servo mechanism? Meaning does it have feedback to where it is? It must. I'm assuming there are 2 actuators, one to couple the front driveshaft to power and one to change the gear set, Hi -- Lo.

It would be nice to split one apart and see what's inside! Maybe I could talk them into letting me have the old out of my truck, haha yeah right! I suppose they get some kind of core refund from Nissan.

Thanks in advance for any replies, although if they're aren't any I won't blame you, who wants to look at the ol "Hi I'm new threads"!

Oh by the way, I powder coat part-time so if anybody needs something done, I'll hook you up the right way and cheap!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update-

Got my truck back last Friday, they replaced the transfer case (which I'm sure wasn't necessary), the front driveshaft u-joints (which probably cured the vibration) and the transfer case control module (because it took a long time to disengage 4x4. The vibration is definately gone and it jumps in and out of 4x4 very quick now. Bad thing is, the day after I got it back, I was crawling around underneath checking their work and installing my new Mag-Hytec rear diff cover and I saw a puddle of oil on the ground. Looks like the transfer case they put in was a used one (judging from the yellow writing all over it and the duct tape around the slip yoke flange) and all of the seals are leaking!!!! The input shaft, rear output shaft and front output shaft! What a joke! So I brought it back, chewed them out and explained how far I will be shoving that truck up their a$$ if they put in another junkyard transfer case. And told them they need to replace the leaky ps pressure hose. Haha the service guy just cringes when I call or come in!

Well I really enjoyed my truck the week I got to drive it, man what power it has! The only piss I have about it is the bedliner being so slippery, going to have to get a peice of outdoor carpet to put in there or something. Least I have a tonneau cover so it doesn't get wet. Rear diff looked good when I had the cover off, no metal chunks, relatively good oil and no sloppy movement in the gears. Damn, I didn't know 75w-140 gear lube was $18 a quart! Now with that new rear diff cover I have to buy 2 extra quarts but oh well, I guess that's the price you pay!

I'll give you guys first dibs on my stock rear cover before I put it on ebay. It's the aluminum finned type, perfect shape. I'll even clean it up! I could also powder coat it black for $20 extra if so desired. Shoot me a fair price.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Damn, I didn't know 75w-140 gear lube was $18 a quart! Now with that new rear diff cover I have to buy 2 extra quarts but oh well, I guess that's the price you pay!
Yeah, that sucks. I bought a case of Royal Purple off Amazon awhile back for cheap w/ free shipping. Used the last of that and bought some M1 at Autozone recently. Painful.

Hopefully they get your truck straight soon.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured their is probably a better deal somewhere, online but had to go the last minute route at the parts store. I used Mobile-1 too, I did see at walmart though they had the "hypertech" brand there for $11 a quart but given the critical nature of the lube, went the name brand route. Hell it's all probably the same just branded differently, or maybe not idk!

Man I hope they get it fixed fast! I've been spoiled by it already, I love it! They gave me an almost new F-150 4x4 for a loaner and compared to the T, that thing is a tird and cramped, no offense to any Ford drivers!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts