Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought an '07 KC SE 4x2 a couple weeks ago. Best truck for the money I could ever find. I have been searching and reading here for a few days and have decided (I think) on starting on a few mods. I'm 63+ and use the truck for work and back, grocery store, etc. so smoking tires and low ET's is not an issue; I want just a little more umph!! than stock (I know you don't get a prize for getting to the next light first, but it still feels good)...and a little deeper exhaust sound. Can anyone kind of rate the noise increase from stock to a Magnaflow as in if stock is a 1 the Magnaflow is a ????? given that straight pipes with no muffler is a 10....

Looks like the consensus is the Magnaflow for some added performance and a deep, mellow sound without obnoxious cabin noise. I will probably add a K&N CAI later....

My question is: Which Magnaflow model number?? I have 2 in and 1 out but I have seen several model number mentioned in that configuration. Do I need 2.5 in and 2.25 out or 2.25 on both ends??? I'd really hate to take the wrong size to the shop guy for welding.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice..

BTW, this is one of the most informative, educational forums I have every seen.. Great job by all in promoting Titans.

·
Registered
302 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info..I did not know the 22" was quieter..good to know.

I'm in NC so will pass on the WTS offer...

I don't mind the mellow even if mildly loud but would not like a hard, sharp, sound. Was hoping the answers would be more in the 2-3 range but I know everyone's hearing is different and what is loud to one is pleasant to another...so I will pay my money and takes my chances...

Thanks again folks....

·
Registered
584 Posts
definitely a 5, much louder than stock and roars when you go WOT.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Blkbelt65. I would have no problem with a deep sound like the old glass pack's being at a 5. And WOT would be seldom (easy to say before I do the mods, right) and not a problem either.

I had a Toyota T-100 V-6 before the Titan and I put a Flowmaster on it. Sounded terrible. Noise drove me to trade (well one of the reasons).

My share of the yard sale today was enough for a Magnaflow installed or the K&N 63-6012 me installing. Which would you guys do first????? and "Yes" we are low budget here.

·
Registered
584 Posts
definitely do the exhaust, you can buy a conical type filter and do the airbox mod(threads all over for it) for FREE with almost the same results.

·
Registered
302 Posts
pastprime said:
Thanks Blkbelt65. I would have no problem with a deep sound like the old glass pack's being at a 5. And WOT would be seldom (easy to say before I do the mods, right) and not a problem either.

I had a Toyota T-100 V-6 before the Titan and I put a Flowmaster on it. Sounded terrible. Noise drove me to trade (well one of the reasons).

My share of the yard sale today was enough for a Magnaflow installed or the K&N 63-6012 me installing. Which would you guys do first????? and "Yes" we are low budget here.
If your on a budget I would do the Magnaflow.The 22" Magnaflow Ive heard on other Titans.Reminds me of a 3ft. glass pack.And the 18" would be like a 2ft glass pack.Hope this helps you decide.

·
Super Moderator
93,617 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
I have a 07 SE KC also and put the 12258 18" on.The 2 inlet lines were spaced to close together on the muffler so i got the muffler shop to run another pipe from the first bend back to have it lined up better.As far as sound a 3.5 or 4.You will tell some drone inside the cabin for sure.Good muffler i like mine gives just enough back pressure.Check in to the aem brute force when your ready to do the cai.you'll like that combo

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
This is all great advice and information. Thanks folks.

I picked up a K&N this morning and will do the air box mod this afternoon. I am still looking for the best price for a #12580. Looks like about a $100 bill is the lowest I have found yet.

Looking forward to seeing the difference when they're finished...

BTW, I guess everyones' truck is like mine in that it jumps or searches between gears a lot from say 42 - 49 mph. Will these small changes make any difference in how and where the trans shifts???

Update:: did the air box mod in about 15 mins. Have only driven about 20 miles. A little extra noise on acceleration...have not nailed it yet, but there does seem to be a little better throttle response or whatever. I don't have to press quite a far to get the speed I want...kind of difficult to describe..

Still checking out mufflers. Looks like the Gibson Swept Side would be perfect for me: almost no cabin noise but good sound when you kick it; unfortunately the price of $500 +/- a few bucks is out of range at this time....so looks like its the Magnaflow 12580.

Thanks again for all the help...

·
Registered
239 Posts
I put an 18" Magnaflow on mine last week & I don't think it's that loud. You can't even tell it's on the truck when you're idling. When you open it up, you can tell it's there, but it's not bad @ all. I don't even think the drone is as bad as others say. It just sounds like a nice exhaust to me!

I had an 03 V8 Dakota before my Titan & I had dual 22" Magnaflows on it. That was obnoxious. You could barely talk to the person in the passenger seat w/it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the patience everyone has shown..just couple more questions and I will stop bothering you guys...

I took off the Flowmaster 70....did not like the sound..or the virtually un-noticed hp increase.

I want to have a Magnaflow #12580 put on my '07 KC but it has a single in and dual out so I guess I will have to have the installer do some kind of mod to get the two pipes into the one for inlet and what about the dual exit?????

Do I have to have him put the dual outs into a single pipe????? Looks like it would be simpler to just turn the muffler around but is that possible or does the flow have to go the way they say????

·
Registered
674 Posts
I have a 07 KC and the 24 inch magnaflow....sounds great but do get a drone at 75 mph ( 1800 rpm) but with the radio on it isnt so bad....sounds so sweet at WOT. You will be pleased.

·
Registered
486 Posts
They are reverseable,i had to do that on my 07.Two in and one out you get good back preasure with that pipe.I have the 18 inch.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That what I needed to know about reversing it....thanks for all the info folks....now to find the best price..

Thanks again..

·
Registered
67 Posts
You won't regret it. Drone from 40-45mph is not too bad but she do sound good when you hammer it. Sometimes when cruising I'd swear it was quieter in the cab than stock.

1 c-note is about the best you'll find the 22" for the '07.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I put the 18" on my '04.
DO IT - The sound is just awesome, deep, mean, like you are hiding something...

On your scale, I think 3-4 is accurate for noise. In the cab, there is really no volume increase at idle, it just sounds better. At WOT, you aren't going to be setting off car alarms, but people will turn thier heads.
It will change the way you drive, just so you can hear more of it.

Price - I was able to find a couple vendors online where I could get it to my door for $70. Installed myself in 40 minutes.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
the #12580 is on the way...$118 shipped from CA...about the same price as local but no sales tax...

All the info has been great...thanks to all

Now for the CAI that I said I was never going to get....

·
Registered
302 Posts
Keep us posted when you get it installed.Im sure you will like it better than that 70 flowmaster.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts