Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have a 2017 Nissan Titan with 30,000 miles. Took it to the dealership for oil change but was told I had a timing cover leak with they will fix under the warranty.

However, they also wanted me to do engine, transmission, rear Differential oil changes,4 wheel alignment plus break and coolant flushes. I’m looking at a $899 bill + tax.

i have driven the truck off road once by accident and tow or bed roof top ACs about 4 times. It’s almost baffling to me that the truck with only 30k highway miles needed all those fluid changes. Especially, the transmission is a sealed one.

The dealer told me this is due to I’m living in Arizona which is considered harsh driving.

This is first truck I’ve owned, I’m wondering if the Titan or trucks in general requires more maintenance than cars. In the future, what should I do to maintain the truck properly without going into almost $1000 dollar maintenance cost every 30K?

Note: I know I can refuse the services, however I’ve known a person who refused recommended services by dealership and they ended up void their warranty because of it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The service intervals are in the owners manual....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The service intervals are in the owners manual....
Hi and thanks,

I did check owners manual. There’s isn’t a clear defined time to change transmission oil. Actually it said you might not need to change it under normal driving.

service adviser told me AZ is considered harsh conditions for Titan due to summer heat.

·
Premium Member
3,803 Posts
Hi and thanks,

I did check owners manual. There’s isn’t a clear defined time to change transmission oil. Actually it said you might not need to change it under normal driving.

service adviser told me AZ is considered harsh conditions for Titan due to summer heat.
I think it’s more that the dealer wants your money.

Clint

Reactions: matt20 and HMX Dave

·
Registered
117 Posts
However, they also wanted me to do engine, transmission, rear Differential oil changes,4 wheel alignment plus break and coolant flushes. I’m looking at a $899 bill + tax.

what should I do to maintain the truck properly without going into almost $1000 dollar maintenance cost every 30K?

Note: I know I can refuse the services, however I’ve known a person who refused recommended services by dealership and they ended up void their warranty because of it.
Just my .02 cents worth...

A 4 wheel alignment should run you $80-90 from the dealer. So then you are saying $800 to change out rear diff fluid, transmission fluid, brake fluid, engine oil and coolant? That's insane.

Are you mechanically inclined enough to do them yourself? (Minus the sealed transmission) If not, seek out the services of a quality independent shop. Here in my area, Nissan charges $100 an hour for labor. I have an excellent local mechanic who charges $50 an hour. I go to him for anything outside of my mechanical abilities. The receipts from him would certainly serve as proof of "recommended services". Just make sure mileage / date and what parts / fluids used are clearly annotated.

Outside of that, those services (except for the alignment and sealed transmission) are rather simple to accomplish in your garage or driveway if you have even mediocre mechanical skills. I do all my own fluids and keep a detailed Excel spreadsheet of what and when I did, mileage and I always note exactly what fluids I use. If I replace hard parts, I note the part numbers and where I got them from. Good info to have if it is something you need to re-order in the future.

I am out of warranty so I don't keep receipts, but I can't imagine "voided warranty" if you keep detailed records and receipts, even if you are the one doing it. I don't think there is anything that says Nissan has to be the ones to do the recommended services. I may be wrong.

Where you could run into trouble (mechanically and warranty-wise) doing fluids yourself is using non-Nissan fluids. For instance on my transmission fluid changes, I use Castrol Import Multi Vehicle ATF. If for some reason my transmission blew up (if I was under warranty), Nissan could claim that I did not use the Nissan Matic J (now superseded my Matic S) and decline warranty to fix it. I wouldn't really have any recourse. There is even a sticker on the engine bay that says Use Matic-J!

Keep in mind that Nissan has quite a price markup on their Nissan branded fluids used by the dealerships, right down to their Nissan window washer fluid. Some people will solely stick to using Nissan fluids, which is perfectly fine, especially for the transmission fluid. Others will do their research and decide whether an aftermarket fluid suits their needs at a lower price. Do whatever method you are comfortable with.

I just did all my fluids a few days ago - transmission (non-sealed), transfer case, front and rear diff, engine oil. I get personal satisfaction out of doing this work myself and knowing that everything is done right (at least "my" right) and have peace of mind until the next cycle.

Regarding changing out transmission fluid, I would happily do mine at 30,000 miles just to see what condition it is in. My drain plug is magnetic and will collect metal shavings. I would want to make sure there is nothing bigger than shavings on it. There is also a circle magnet inside the pan if you felt like dropping that for inspection/cleaning as well, but I wouldn't worry about that until around 100k miles.

Speaking of 100k miles, this pic below (not mine) is from a 2013 QX56. You can see the pan magnet and how much metal shavings it has collected. More noticeable is how dark and brown the fluid is at 125k. I personally change mine every 35k - 40k and it is always a nice ruby red color. I don't believe sealed transmissions are lifetime-fluid deals. They need changed periodically as well, but I don't know what the intervals are.

Reactions: sonicevo

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just my .02 cents worth...

A 4 wheel alignment should run you $80-90 from the dealer. So then you are saying $800 to change out rear diff fluid, transmission fluid, brake fluid, engine oil and coolant? That's insane.

Are you mechanically inclined enough to do them yourself? (Minus the sealed transmission) If not, seek out the services of a quality independent shop. Here in my area, Nissan charges $100 an hour for labor. I have an excellent local mechanic who charges $50 an hour. I go to him for anything outside of my mechanical abilities. The receipts from him would certainly serve as proof of "recommended services". Just make sure mileage / date and what parts / fluids used are clearly annotated.

Outside of that, those services (except for the alignment and sealed transmission) are rather simple to accomplish in your garage or driveway if you have even mediocre mechanical skills. I do all my own fluids and keep a detailed Excel spreadsheet of what and when I did, mileage and I always note exactly what fluids I use. If I replace hard parts, I note the part numbers and where I got them from. Good info to have if it is something you need to re-order in the future.

I am out of warranty so I don't keep receipts, but I can't imagine "voided warranty" if you keep detailed records and receipts, even if you are the one doing it. I don't think there is anything that says Nissan has to be the ones to do the recommended services. I may be wrong.

Where you could run into trouble (mechanically and warranty-wise) doing fluids yourself is using non-Nissan fluids. For instance on my transmission fluid changes, I use Castrol Import Multi Vehicle ATF. If for some reason my transmission blew up (if I was under warranty), Nissan could claim that I did not use the Nissan Matic J (now superseded my Matic S) and decline warranty to fix it. I wouldn't really have any recourse. There is even a sticker on the engine bay that says Use Matic-J!

Keep in mind that Nissan has quite a price markup on their Nissan branded fluids used by the dealerships, right down to their Nissan window washer fluid. Some people will solely stick to using Nissan fluids, which is perfectly fine, especially for the transmission fluid. Others will do their research and decide whether an aftermarket fluid suits their needs at a lower price. Do whatever method you are comfortable with.

I just did all my fluids a few days ago - transmission (non-sealed), transfer case, front and rear diff, engine oil. I get personal satisfaction out of doing this work myself and knowing that everything is done right (at least "my" right) and have peace of mind until the next cycle.

Regarding changing out transmission fluid, I would happily do mine at 30,000 miles just to see what condition it is in. My drain plug is magnetic and will collect metal shavings. I would want to make sure there is nothing bigger than shavings on it. There is also a circle magnet inside the pan if you felt like dropping that for inspection/cleaning as well, but I wouldn't worry about that until around 100k miles.

Speaking of 100k miles, this pic below (not mine) is from a 2013 QX56. You can see the pan magnet and how much metal shavings it has collected. More noticeable is how dark and brown the fluid is at 125k. I personally change mine every 35k - 40k and it is always a nice ruby red color. I don't believe sealed transmissions are lifetime-fluid deals. They need changed periodically as well, but I don't know what the intervals are.

View attachment 542279
i cannot thank you enough for this. Yes I’m mediocre mechanically. But I used to do my fluid changes. This truck I brought new and heard about friends me warranty issues. Therefore, I sorta stuck with dealers especially 2017 has 100k warranty on the engine.

I will try to keep all receipts and detailed fluid changes in case I ever needed warranty works ( so far I had 3 already )

again thank you very much for the advice.

·
Registered
117 Posts
You just need to validate that doing it yourself, using the correct fluids and/or parts, with having receipts... counts as a recommended service being done and keeps the warranty intact.

Don't be the one who mounts a defense by saying - "Well, this guy on our forums said..." :)

Reactions: sonicevo

·
Premium Member
3,803 Posts
You just need to validate that doing it yourself, using the correct fluids and/or parts, with having receipts... counts as a recommended service being done and keeps the warranty intact.

Don't be the one who mounts a defense by saying - "Well, this guy on our forums said..." :)
But it was on the internet so it must be true...

Clint

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
This is out of the owners manual. doesn't sound like severe use in your case. I would wait until 50,000 to change the transmission fluid and at most it should only cost you $200 for a transmission fluid change. The differential fluid is questionable on whether you need to change it all.

Attachments

·
Registered
754 Posts
Even if you go with Ams oil with 5 quarts of Tranny fluid and all the correct gear oil, it comes out to $120. The new gear oil quarts are squeeze containers so you dont even need a pump. Only thing you need is an adapter to put tranny fluid back in after you drop the pan to clean magnets. As far as the brake fluid it's not necessary bit if your anal like myself, you can get a manual pump from harbor freight for $20 and do it yourself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is out of the owners manual. doesn't sound like severe use in your case. I would wait until 50,000 to change the transmission fluid and at most it should only cost you $200 for a transmission fluid change. The differential fluid is questionable on whether you need to change it all.
thank you for clarifying the use as well.
This is my first truck ever so I’m not sure what was consider harsh usage. I was little shocked when dealer told me the truck is considered use harshly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,
I have a 2017 Nissan Titan with 30,000 miles. Took it to the dealership for oil change but was told I had a timing cover leak with they will fix under the warranty.

i have driven the truck off road once by accident and tow or bed roof top ACs about 4 times. It’s almost baffling to me that the truck with only 30k highway miles needed all those fluid changes. Especially, the transmission is a sealed one.

The dealer told me this is due to I’m living in Arizona which is considered harsh driving.

This is first truck I’ve owned, I’m wondering if the Titan or trucks in general requires more maintenance than cars. In the future, what should I do to maintain the truck properly without going into almost $1000 dollar maintenance cost every 30K?

I am a nissan technician and that price is a little high but not as ridiculous as you may think. For all those services at a private shop it wouldn't be much different. Most places have set prices for different services. it changes a little depending on the amount of fluids being used. 30k mile trans services can be necessary in high temperature environments if you put a lot of miles on them during the year. in AZ i wouldn't go more than 45k without. Normal schedule is 30k for brake fluid then check the rest. 60k for trans, and diff, The nissan blue coolant used in the titan is 100k but start looking at viability at 50k in harsh hotter environments using the coolant float. The trans is sealed and you would need the adapter to pump the fluid in from the bottom to do it yourself. the other stuff is easy to do yourself with a little help from youtube if you need it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts