Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellas,
I'm in the process of installing new LED lights and I'm working on the two map lights above the rear view mirror. I got the lens covers off and the LED's installed, but for the life of me I can not get the covers back on. I thought they would just snap back on to the two pivot pins in the console but I have applied a lot of pressure and I'm afraid I'm going to break those pins off. I tried sliding the cover over one pin first and pushing it all the way towards that side in the hopes it would clear the other pin at which point I could just slide it back over the second pin. I'm pretty frustrated......LOL

Whats the deal. I saw a video for installing the LED's and it looks so easy but mine are not going on like that video shows.

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
Hi fellas,
I'm in the process of installing new LED lights and I'm working on the two map lights above the rear view mirror. I got the lens covers off and the LED's installed, but for the life of me I can not get the covers back on. I thought they would just snap back on to the two pivot pins in the console but I have applied a lot of pressure and I'm afraid I'm going to break those pins off. I tried sliding the cover over one pin first and pushing it all the way towards that side in the hopes it would clear the other pin at which point I could just slide it back over the second pin. I'm pretty frustrated......LOL

Whats the deal. I saw a video for installing the LED's and it looks so easy but mine are not going on like that video shows.
I had a little trouble myself when installing these leds for a friend 2 nights ago. Here's what you do. Get a mini screwdriver then

1) slide in 1 of the 2 plastic pins in on the light cover
2) use the mini screwdriver to help with the second plastise pin (care not to dent assembly)
3) pop in last clip
4) done

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not quite following you there. There are three connection points, the two swivel slots and the little hook on the lens. Are you saying to slide the cover over one of the pins first, then use the screw driver to get it on the second pin, and lastly pop the hook in to place??

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I managed to get them back on finally but I had to take an exacto knife and trim an ever so small sliver of plastic off the lenses and finally they popped back on the posts. Only thing I can figure is that the part that snaps over the posts must have shrunk over time, the truck is a 2005 that I bought about six weeks ago in Scottsdale Arizona and brought it home here to ice cold North Central Washington. I had the heater on in the cab for a good 30 minutes and laid the lenses on the dash right on top of the defrost vents in an effort to see if the cold weather was playing a factor, no joy there either, those puppies were NOT going back on! It also took quite a bit of forcing to get them off too. Hopefully these LED's last because I do not want to go through this again......LOL

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
Well, I managed to get them back on finally but I had to take an exacto knife and trim an ever so small sliver of plastic off the lenses and finally they popped back on the posts. Only thing I can figure is that the part that snaps over the posts must have shrunk over time, the truck is a 2005 that I bought about six weeks ago in Scottsdale Arizona and brought it home here to ice cold North Central Washington. I had the heater on in the cab for a good 30 minutes and laid the lenses on the dash right on top of the defrost vents in an effort to see if the cold weather was playing a factor, no joy there either, those puppies were NOT going back on! It also took quite a bit of forcing to get them off too. Hopefully these LED's last because I do not want to go through this again......LOL
Hah ice cold North Central Washington??? I grew up in Wenatchee, wife is from Oroville. We live in North Dakota now, I bet you guys are a good 40 degree's warmer than we are, it was -23 this morning with a -45 windchill. I do miss the Omak area - fishing season opener at Fish lake and Conconelly, hunting in the Sinlahekin.... good times.

I just got my LEDS today, going to install tomorrow after work!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, we moved up here about 10 years ago. Some of the best hunting/fishing in the USA is here no doubt. It took a while for us to make a good life for ourselves here, but I'd never leave now, absolutely love it here! Good luck with your light install tomorrow, hopefully your lens covers will be a little more cooperative than mine were...LOL

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
Yep, we moved up here about 10 years ago. Some of the best hunting/fishing in the USA is here no doubt. It took a while for us to make a good life for ourselves here, but I'd never leave now, absolutely love it here! Good luck with your light install tomorrow, hopefully your lens covers will be a little more cooperative than mine were...LOL
I already got the dome and door courtesy lights in tonight, took about 10 min. I got a mood light too, so I'm just pulling down the console to get to it and the map lights. BTW I went with Blue LEDS for my Blue Titan! I'll post some pics when I'm done.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I started with the Maps, Dome and backup lights. Then I ordered floorboard/door courtesy/mud (below exterior side mirrors), I'll be putting the second round in this weekend hopefully. I ordered a mood light from superbrightled's before I knew about Jason on here but everything else is from him.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had the same problem, and couldn't seem to get one lens back on no matter how I tried. Eventually I broke one of the pegs off. Tried a couple different kinds of glue to try and get it to hold, nothing would work. Ordered a used overhead console off ebay, swapped out the lighting unit as the one off ebay was different, and reinstalled it all in the truck. After that was all done, I found a bottle of Gorilla Glue in the house that I hadn't tried, and sure enough it held the peg on when I re-installed the map lens. :bangit:

I think next time I need to get in there, I'm just going to take the whole thing down again!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think you still need to pop the lenses off even if you take the whole console down right??

·
Registered
40 Posts
Nope, just remove a couple screws from the top side and the whole electrical section (both map lights, the 'door/off/on' switch, etc) comes off in one piece, and you have free access to the bulbs. I can post a pic when home from work.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ahhhh, gotcha..... depending on how difficult it is to pull that console down after removing the 5 screws this might be the best way from now on. Thanks for that!

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
Ahhhh, gotcha..... depending on how difficult it is to pull that console down after removing the 5 screws this might be the best way from now on. Thanks for that!
Took me about 20 minutes to pull the console, I only had 3 bolts and popped it down. Put the mood light in, took it back out and turned it around then it worked. 3 more screws to get to the map lights, popped everything back together.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
First pic - the back of the console once removed from the roof of the truck. You can see 3 of the screws that need to be removed to get at the lights (the last one is hidden in the center under the black foam). The blue circle in the middle is the mood light

Second pic - same shot of the console once the 4 screws are removed and the lights are taken out. Lenses are still attached. You can now see where all 4 screws go

Last pic - map lights removed from the console

Attachments

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My truck is the LE model with the compass and temp readout display unit. The console is quite long and stretches from the maps lights clear back to the back cab area, and it looks to be all one piece.....Yikes!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
That's basically the same thing I have, only I have a dead plate where I think you have the compass/temp unit (it's missing in the pic). I was just zoomed in on the map light part. Here's a full pic. To remove it, just open up all the sunglass/map holder compartments and remove the bolts inside (5 of them iirc), then pull the whole unit straight down. Once loose you can disconnect the electrical connection (just a pressure clip) and take it to a work bench to change lights or do whatever else you like. It's fairly easy to take down and re-install.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
That's basically the same thing I have, only I have a dead plate where I think you have the compass/temp unit (it's missing in the pic). I was just zoomed in on the map light part. Here's a full pic. To remove it, just open up all the sunglass/map holder compartments and remove the bolts inside (5 of them iirc), then pull the whole unit straight down. Once loose you can disconnect the electrical connection (just a pressure clip) and take it to a work bench to change lights or do whatever else you like. It's fairly easy to take down and re-install.
Only problem with taking to the workbench is if you get the polarity wrong, you don't know until you plug everything back in. Not a big issue, just could be a little time consuming (beer drinking time).

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the help and pics, at least I'll know what the heck I'm looking at when I take it apart.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Only problem with taking to the workbench is if you get the polarity wrong, you don't know until you plug everything back in. Not a big issue, just could be a little time consuming (beer drinking time).
True, forgot about that with the LED's.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok, went off without a hitch, I had five screws and four clips holding the overhead console. Two of the clips were up front by the map light area and the other two were in the rear portion of the console. After removing the five screws Mine did not hang down like most people report, it was still pretty tight to the headliner. I was able to just grab it with my hands and release the two rear clips then moved to the front and pulled down to release that section. I went ahead and enlarged the opening for the mood light while I was in there and installed the LED bulb, I got lucky and got the polarity right the first time. I did unplug the harness and move the console to a work bench because I had the perfect bit for my Dremel to use on enlarging the mood light hole. I'm hoping to have the rest of my bulbs in the mail later today and I'll get those installed as well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts