Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my mechanic is telling me I need to replace my MAS and O2 sensors.
I have a K&N filter, and was told that the Oil and dirt from the k&N can cause the MAS to fail? Also my catalytic converters are clogged and running at much higher temp. I have an appointment at the dealership to check out this. Has anyone run into this? 04 with 65K This repair is very $$$$ The catalytic converter are covered 8/80,000. Ive had stalling problems for the last month and now my check engine light is on. Thanks for any info

·
Registered
9,528 Posts
Oil from the K&N filters can indeed cause a MAS to fail. Often, over oiling when you recharge the filter is to blame....(less is more).

As far as whether or not this would affect the exhaust...I don't know.

First I've heard of a possible correlation.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Did your mechanic spray some electrical cleaner on your MAF? If not you might want to try that first, those sensors can be upwards of $500

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Special "MAF Sensor Cleaner" is now available at the auto parts stores. Cost about 7 bucks, made by CRC I think.

·
Registered
838 Posts
The mechanic is either working on commission or has some type of quota to make. It may be true that your cats have gone out or 02 sensors at 65K. That can happen with normal use. That should not be related to using an oiled cotton gause filter. That's all on the exhaust side after cylinder combustion.

But everyone here is right about using the cleaner spray on the MAF sensor. I actually use plain old denatured alcohol in a spray mist bottle, which seems to work fine and is a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
789 Posts
if the maf sensor is bad and generating an overly rich condition all that extra fuel can be dumping into the cats and clogging them. definitely get the dealers second opinion. dont tell them anything just see if they come up with the same answers.

·
Registered
9,528 Posts
My advice:

Take off the K&N, clean the MAF as suggested above, then take it to the dealer.

:)

What the don't know wont hurt you.

·
Registered
9,480 Posts

·
Registered
9,480 Posts
P's Titan said:
Thanks Kenny...

You brought something to the table
That's how I roll out here in the open P's...... On the dark side though, I bring nothing to the table.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I replaced the K&N with a paper and taking it to the dealer tonight. It will be interesting to see if they come up with the same diagnosis. Ill keep everyone informed.

Thanks. Opiate

Also my mechanic informed me the truck was in "limp" mode. Hard to tell, perhaps Ill get on it on the way to the dealership.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
It's not the K&N filter causing the problems. It's the person who cleans and improperly re-oils the filter that's the culprit. And believe what you'd like, Ive seen this oil crap up MAF sensors personally. Now does it ruin them?...I don't believe so. A simple cleaning should do the trick....unless maybe if you let it go far too long. But by them I'd imagine the CEL would come on. In any event, they know full well that there is some truth to over oiled filters causing problems.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts