Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all i was wondering if the dealer or a locksmith can cut a key according to your vin. The reason why is, the truck i bought was stolen before and the prev owner changed the ignition switch, and since it comes with a new key he forgot where he put the old master they that unlocks the tailgate and driver door. The only way i can unlock my doors is by using my remote, but i want to fix this problem before my remote runs out of battery.

Does anyone know where i can get a set of locks + keys? Besides having to wait for someone to part out

This is on a 2010 Titan Se crewcab

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
If you just need a key to unlock, not crank the truck, you could see if a locksmith can make one from the lock itself. There may be a way to cut one from the VIN but I'm not sure. Make a few calls around and see what a good locksmith and the dealership tell you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My Titan had a little metal code that came with the keys. It's to cut you one based on that anywhere you are. Long story short; my mom lost the code and one set of keys so I guard this one like gollum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea i told to my local auto locksmith he said he can try to cut the key from the lock. But i have no idea how that would be done.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update:

The locksmith charged me 175 dollars to make a cut from my cab lock. So i got two of that now plus 1 extra ignition key.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Chipped Key and Fob

I'm glad to find this thread. I just bought a 2005 Titan LE and it came with 1 set of keys and 1 fob. I want a back up set.

The dealer wants more than $300 for the chipped key and fob.

Locksmiths in the area say they can make the chipped key for $100+. Is there a cheaper way?

As to the FOB -- the dealer and locksmiths want more than $100. They say the fobs are OEM. I can get to aftermarket fobs on Amazon for $12.95.

Do I care whether the fobs are OEM or not?

I really don't want to spend $300.

What's the best alternative?

Thanks

sjh

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Chipped Key and Fob

I'm glad to find this thread. I just bought a 2005 Titan LE and it came with 1 set of keys and 1 fob. I want a back up set.

The dealer wants more than $300 for the chipped key and fob.

Locksmiths in the area say they can make the chipped key for $100+. Is there a cheaper way?

As to the FOB -- the dealer and locksmiths want more than $100. They say the fobs are OEM. I can get to aftermarket fobs on Amazon for $12.95.

Do I care whether the fobs are OEM or not?

I really don't want to spend $300.

What's the best alternative?

Thanks

sjh
So this is what i discovered with my 2010 Titan, for the remote i bought a pair off of amazon for like 20 bucks and programmed it myself took about 5 mins, lock smiths charges 60 bucks a remote im like daufq? So the only thing i had them do was to make me a Key for the ignition which was 100 dollars each.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Re: Chipped Key and Fob

Solved my problem:

The dealer wanted around $300 for a newly programmed chip key.

So, I chose an alternate path.

1. I bought chipped key blanks from Amazon for $8.95 each. I got 3 of them.
2. I went to Redwood Lock and Key in Rohnert Park, CA to have them cut and programmed. The cut was $3.95 each. The programming was $75 for all of them. That's why I got 3 new ones -- they will program as many as you need for the same price. Everything works.
3. I bought some FOBs on Amazon and will program them, myself, tomorrow.

Thanks for the help. Saved me a lot of money.

sjh

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
No one can help in this matter except dealer and i don't think even locksmith can do it for you.
As evidenced from the various posts above yours where people successfully used resources other than the dealer, your statement is incorrect. While it's almost always wise to shop around for the best deal (and checking the dealership sometimes reveals the best deal) the dealership isn't the only option for having a master key made without an original blank, nor is it the only option for having a new chipped master key cut and programmed by duplicating your current master key.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts