Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a little input here. We are currently towing travle trailer at about 5500 lbs with no issues. Looking at going up to about 7700 lbs. Anyone have any experience with towing that kind of weight in a travel trailer?? I use a weight distribution hitch and a prodigy brake controller.

·
Super Moderator
159,815 Posts
Yup. Many on here tow that. If you've got the BT (with the trans. temp gauge) this won't be an issue for you at all. Just put her in 4th, and off you go. :) You've got the right gear in the hitch and the BEC, so you should be good to go!

BTW, the one you see in my sig pic is probably 6500 + as I tow it. No sweat.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I tow 8000-8500 no problemo!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Suggest you look into a sway-cancelling hitch, and make it part of the purchase.

I tow an Arctic Fox 26J, and the weight on the trailer's wheels is right at 7,000#, so that doesn't count the tongue weight of about 800#. I had a 22.5' trailer a few years ago, but the longer and heavier trailer on a half ton truck does make a difference.

I tried the little brake thingy, but didn't have any success with it, and actually broke it because I forgot to take the tension off it when I got into town; although others here have had good luck with them. Instead I use a Reese dual-cam hitch, don't have to worry about it and have had no complaints at all with it; but there are others out there. I like the 'hook up and go' convenience.

Welcome to moderate-weight towing with the Titan. It's a great truck for this duty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I tow a 30 ft TT that weighs 6500# empty and is rated at 8600# gross. I've had it loaded up to 8300# and towed Bobcat pass going into Red River, NM. I was in second gear maintaining 40 mph without any cooling issues. It ran like a champ. You shouldn't have any problems!

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Our TT is just under 33' with a loaded up weight of 8500+ LBS. You'll tow it fine and you'll get used to the different effects it'll play on your truck. Just don't expect it to tow like your 5500 LB trailer. Length plays a big part too because of sway and crosswinds.

·
Super Moderator
159,815 Posts
HudsonValleyTitan said:
Our TT is just under 33' with a loaded up weight of 8500+ LBS. You'll tow it fine and you'll get used to the different effects it'll play on your truck. Just don't expect it to tow like your 5500 LB trailer. Length plays a big part too because of sway and crosswinds.
Amen to that. Takes getting used to.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just did a 450 mile trip with our 25'r fully loaded.

The trailer is 6,990 dry
an I put a 1,200 Ranger in it
not to mention the gear & people
but no water.

Didn't get a chance to weigh it
but I'm guessin' I was easily 9k.

The truck pulled like a freighttrain
without a complaint.
Ran 65 the whole trip
got 9mpg on reformulated fuel.

I have learned to drop it down to 3rd when I see a big hill comin'
3rd an 3,000rpm keeps me from slowin too much on long grades.
Waitin' until the Trans decides gives up a lot of momentum.

I'm runnin' a Prodigy
& 10k Equal-i-zer
no complaints with either
now that I spent some time learnin' how to set them up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts