Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm so pissed. This is why I hate taking my truck to the dealer or anywhere for service. Its why I do it myself.

I have an 06 KC SE big tow, off road pkg.
I it in this morning and left it there for the day for them to replace the fuel gauge, do the Condenser fan TSB, check/clean the read diff vent and check the brakes as I have been experinecing brake judder for a while now.

I picked it up after work (service dept. was closed) and as usual I walked around the truck and check for any body damage. All was good. When I get in the truck the first thing i noticed was the deep gashes in the dash next to the trim for the cluster just behind the column shifter. It looks like they used a saw blade to pry the damn thing off. What kind of moron would do this and just assume that the customer would not see it? These are deep scratches that cannot be hidden. This guy must have been on drugs or something. I left a message with my service adviser letting him know that I'm not very happy and that they will be replacing my entire dash.

On the bright side the fuel gauge appears to be working. Oh yeah and 1000 miles was somehow subtracted from my odometer. I'm wondering if the tech thought that it would make up for the scratches? I'm really starting to question my decision to buy from this dealership. I've heard good things about them but so far I am unimpressed but then again no dealer service dept. has ever impressed me.

This has me so pissed right now. I washed,waxed, vacumed, armor alled and cleaned all the windows before taking it hoping that they would show my truck respect seeing how anal I am.

Oh well I'm sure I'm not the only one who has had something like this happen before.

·
Super Moderator
93,679 Posts
Hopefully they will do the right thing and replace what is needed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm pretty sure they will. They seem to be pretty good that way. It just aggravates me that now I need to be without my truck for another day while they do the work.

I forgot to mention that they resuefaced my front rotors to get rid of the judder which I'm certain will return soon. In fact the service advisor almost guaranteed me that it will. He told me that Toyota is have the same problem on the new Tundra because they both used the materials used in their smaller cars and trucks not realizing that full size trucks are much harder on the brakes. He said that they use a different alloy with less iron than american manufacturers. He said the 06's have the upgraded brakes but they still aren't as good as the 08's. I asked if they had any updates to eliminate the judder once and for all and he said no. I'm thinking that aftermarket drilled and slotted rotors may be the ticket but I'm not ready to shell out the cash for that.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Go in and talk with the service manager,request a different tech to install the dash.Ask him who his best tech is and tell him that is who you would like.
Normally,a comeback or recheck goes back to the original tech,if he couldn't change the cluster properly,these is no way he can change a dashboard without F'n something else up.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats exactly what I plan on doing. It makes me wonder if the other things they did were done right. Tomorrow I will look over the entire truck inside and out.

Their best tech. worked on it when I first brought it in for the fuel gauge not working and the loud engine tick that occasionally appeared. My guess is they felt the gauge replacement did not warrant top tech. as its not too difficult.

Apparently they don't teach common sense at the school this guy went.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Hmm i wonder if techs arent taught how to remove clusters? But to be fair, i guess its something they dont deal with all the time. Same thing happened to me when they replaced my cluster. You would think that they would be shown how to remove it without leaving scratches. Hope you get a good outcome, you shouldnt have to deal with scratches from service work.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm sure they probably aren't taught things like that but you would think common sense would prevail. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that a screwdriver will scratch the plastic dash. I think akot of the guys working there are apprentices and they probably get these simple tasks. If that is the case I would expect that the head tech would check their work before signing off on it. Then again I work in IT for a large wireless company and we do similiar things (Not willingly of course).

Techs aren't idiots (hopefully). It is an analytical job and requires one to apply logic in most situations and that takes skills that alot of people don't have.

So I guess its kind of a crap shoot whether you get the guy at the top of his game or the guy that barely made it through the training. Its the same as picking a Doctor.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
JeffB said:
Thats exactly what I plan on doing. It makes me wonder if the other things they did were done right. Tomorrow I will look over the entire truck inside and out.

Their best tech. worked on it when I first brought it in for the fuel gauge not working and the loud engine tick that occasionally appeared. My guess is they felt the gauge replacement did not warrant top tech. as its not too difficult.

Apparently they don't teach common sense at the school this guy went.
Remember these techs work on a comission basis,they appreciate when you come in and request them specifically.It means they don't have to share the shop hours with the morons that nobody wants.A good tech can build his own customer base.

·
Premium Member
17,446 Posts
It was probably due to the installation of the cluster cover. There is two metal clips on the side of the cluster cover that's hard to get in, if you're not careful and just try to push it in the metal pieces will catch the dash and scratch it up. They need to put pressure on the side to squeezed the cover before pushing it in. Happen to me when I went in for a dimmer switch problem. Luckily it was not bad and I got rid of the scratches with the lighter trick.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
When you go to the shop, each tech working on your truck or car is their best tech. They will lie to you to make you happy. Many years ago, when I used to be a tech, I thought it was interesting when I knew more about any car then the 25 year master tech.

·
Registered
222 Posts
they will most likely take care of it. and like another poster said, be sure the tech that scratched the dash does not do the dash/panel replacement. you definitely dont want your vehicle to come back with the weight reduction mod. and on the cluster, they are coded with mileage when we order them so the mileage you got was the noted on the repair order when they ordered the cluster. technically, we are supposed to down the vehicle until the cluster arrives.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts