Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a questiosn for all you Baja Junkies; who have been there - done that and have some advise for me.

Heading down this fall to Baja as well as the main land. I know my cell phone works in all the major cities. But what is the deal in the heart of the desert. Do cell phones work? If Not; What type GPS or Satellite Phone Providers are out there?

Besides comprehensive med kit, a satcom phone, water, a Pur water filter kit and lots of loose change(to bribe the locals) , I think that should cover my a-s-s in case of most emergencies.

·
Registered
199 Posts
There this company called All-Road Communications. I saw their add in an off-road magazine. Their number is 1.619.410.4323. Supposely its only $39.99 per week. You might also want to take a few jerry cans with fuel. Or else you might end up paying $20 a gallon of fuel pulled from an old rusty drum in an hejido. :upsidedow As for GPS, I've used a handheld Garmin eTrex. It was around $100 and it did the job. oh, also take 2-fullsize spares, tools, recovery gear, shade, and a ice-chest full of beer [if that's your thing]. Where u going?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thought more members would have experience here; guess not.

Thank u for the information red_rider_elsinore. It is very much appreciated; Just in case I change my mind I have bookmarked All-Road Communications. Still debating on a Satcom or not.

Been on lots of other of forums; most of which say cell phones work almost everywhere in Mexico. Not sure if everywhere is true or not. Havent read otherwise.

As for taking a USA cell carrier into another country, the cost is outrageous. I have an unlock blackberry which I use in Europe. I take out my SIM and switch it out with a "Pay as you go SIM" which i pickup at the airport; Think I will do the same in MEX. After reading cell phone technology has gained lots of ground there. 1 minute in pescos is dirt cheap.

·
Registered
199 Posts
As far as I know, Nextel only works in nextel networks. My sprint worked with telcel which is nationwide in Mexico. That's only my emergency alternative as the calls get expensive. I purchased a cell phone in Mex and buy a phone card when I go south. That is the cheapest alternative. As for reception, it depends on where you'll be. In mountaneous terrain you might not get reception like in the good 'ol US.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
You can rent satelite phones. I don't know cost or anything but have seen them in some mags.
I would try to go that route because it should work almost anywhere.
________
E53

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
red_rider_elsinore said:
As for reception, it depends on where you'll be. In mountaneous terrain you might not get reception like in the good 'ol US.
yup. don't think anything but a satellite phone will work deep in mountains/desert in Mexico......when not out camping or watching the races, my Verizon has worked well in the city (Rosarito/Ensenada/Cabo), roaming charges apply but it works

1 - 7 of 7 Posts