Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Most of my time is spent on the highway back and forth between home and the airport (150 miles each direction) but I occasionly pull fertilizer tanks well in excess of what a 1/2 ton should be pulling around the farm. How much fuel economy will I give up by getting the big tow package? Also can I get the big tow package without the extendable mirrors? It doesn't appear so on the Nissan website.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
FRD ETR,

Mine is the Big Tow and Off-Road Pkgs....

Unladen and now after 7500 miles...we are averaging 15.8MPG...(Commute 83 miles each way and anywhere from standstill traffic for a 13 miles stretch or running 85 in the open areas of freeway).

Only time I have towed with any distance was once with a 5300pd boat 80 miles each way to San Diego and I got 11.7 if I recall correctly...never over 65 that whole trip.

Oh, and the Big Tow Pkg includes the extendable tow mirrors...

Hope that helps...

Chris

·
Registered
17 Posts
Big tow comes with a lower axle ratio, the larger mirrors, a trans temp gauge on the dash and I believe a trans cooler.

You can add a hitch to any truck if you don't plan to tow much. The wires are there already.

·
Registered
202 Posts
You will probably give up 1 to 2 mpg on the highway. I pull as much as 13000# for short distances and have had no problem. You can do it without the Big Tow package just make sure that you get a good hitch. Also keep in mind you can not get the Off Road package either if you want the higher gears. The lower gears come with both packages.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I have checked, and yes you will get those big mirrors if you order the Big Tow package. The only way to get the Big Tow and the smaller mirrors is to have the small mirrors added after purchase, and pay for mirrors plus labor.

I too will be replacing the big mirrors when I get my Titan because I think I want the Big Tow and Off Road packages. I hate the look of the huge mirrors, and as I will only tow 3 or 4 times a year that leaves 357 other days a year I have to try and see beyond such a huge blind spot.

I guess in all honesty I too am contemplating not getting the Big Tow and Off Road packages so I can get the higher final drive ratio for better fuel economy. When I do tow it will just be a 3,000-pound car and a trailer, maybe 1,500 pounds, so 4,500 pounds in total.

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
Quad T said:
I too will be replacing the big mirrors when I get my Titan because I think I want the Big Tow and Off Road packages. I hate the look of the huge mirrors, and as I will only tow 3 or 4 times a year that leaves 357 other days a year I have to try and see beyond such a huge blind spot.
I never noticed any problem or blind spot with the large mirrors. I think the part that takes getting used to is the lower ones. I constantly am looking over at my passenger side mirror (as I pass everything on the road) and have to consciously remember to look at the upper one to make sure I am far enough in front to pull back in.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for all the replies, the main reason I don't want to get the big mirrors are the looks. No offense meant to those who like, they simply don't suit my taste. I may look into buying the smaller mirrors after the purchase, the mileage seems to be neglible.

·
Premium Member
17,123 Posts
FRD ETR said:
thanks for all the replies, the main reason I don't want to get the big mirrors are the looks. No offense meant to those who like, they simply don't suit my taste. I may look into buying the smaller mirrors after the purchase, the mileage seems to be neglible.
You can probably arrange a swap with somebody who wants the big ones.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Do what I did. Get the Off road package (has the same gear as Big Tow) and add a nissan hitch reciever afterward. This package has 9500lbs towing and regular mirrors. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts