Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hand washing and waxing my Titan yesterday and noticed something very peculiar. The two front corner panels that wrap around the corners of the truck are loose and you can push them forward. These are the panels that are on the sides of the chrome bumper strip and that contain the fog lights (if you have them which I don't). They make up the sides of the front bumper.

After looking under the truck it appears that there are holes for the plastic to be bolted onto the metal brackets but mine aren't. Has anyone else noticed this on theirs or is it only mine? Why would they go to the trouble of putting brackets there but not bolting the plastic panels onto it? As is, I can push the panels forward.

·
Registered
48 Posts
dman said:
I was hand washing and waxing my Titan yesterday and noticed something very peculiar. The two front corner panels that wrap around the corners of the truck are loose and you can push them forward. These are the panels that are on the sides of the chrome bumper strip and that contain the fog lights (if you have them which I don't). They make up the sides of the front bumper.

After looking under the truck it appears that there are holes for the plastic to be bolted onto the metal brackets but mine aren't. Has anyone else noticed this on theirs or is it only mine? Why would they go to the trouble of putting brackets there but not bolting the plastic panels onto it? As is, I can push the panels forward.

I would take it to the dealer. I noticed a little squeak on my truck when i was taking it in to get some service done and the technician found a very loose bolt in the fender. They most likely missed these bolts at the factory.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
dman said:

If you have a broadband Internet connection, it is a very good deal to pay $20 to download the service manual to answer these types of questions. I have found it very useful.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bestatchess said:
If you have a broadband Internet connection, it is a very good deal to pay $20 to download the service manual to answer these types of questions. I have found it very useful.
I already downloaded it, just haven't checked into that yet. Thanks for reminding me.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bestatchess said:
Just looked, it is hard to tell from the picture in the service manual. I noticed on the truck that it looks like their is supposed to be a fastener (i.e. bolt) at the front underside of these plastic panels and then another one the side. There are holes in the plastic panels as well as holes in the metal and they do line up, just nothing there connecting them.

Unfortunately, I just couldn't tell in the manual.

·
Registered
152 Posts
dman said:
Just looked, it is hard to tell from the picture in the service manual. I noticed on the truck that it looks like their is supposed to be a fastener (i.e. bolt) at the front underside of these plastic panels and then another one the side. There are holes in the plastic panels as well as holes in the metal and they do line up, just nothing there connecting them.

Unfortunately, I just couldn't tell in the manual.
dman: Maybe you might want to go by the dealer and look at the other Titans on the lot. That way you can see how they are fastened first hand.....and if yours is not correct, just stroll over to Service to get them to order parts to make it right! :)

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I am scheduled to go in tomorrow for 1st oil change (at 2500 miles...ouch) and to get them to look at my 3 different dash squeeks and rattles, my exhaust shield rattle, and my stereo. Guess this is one more thing to add to the list. Oh well.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, come to find out I was missing 4 fastners. None of the 4 were to be found. Either they are weak and fall out easily or they were never installed in the first place. I looked at several Titans and Armadas at the dealer today and they all had them although some did not look like they were installed correctly. You may want to look at yours. BTW, they are plastic clips with a screw in the middle. I guess you push the clip in and then tighten the screw down which causes the clip to expand and lock into place.

·
Registered
152 Posts
dman said:
Well, come to find out I was missing 4 fastners. None of the 4 were to be found. Either they are weak and fall out easily or they were never installed in the first place. I looked at several Titans and Armadas at the dealer today and they all had them although some did not look like they were installed correctly. You may want to look at yours. BTW, they are plastic clips with a screw in the middle. I guess you push the clip in and then tighten the screw down which causes the clip to expand and lock into place.
We need to add this to the pre-Delivery Checklist. Good catch dman!

·
Registered
514 Posts
i just checked mine. All 4 were there. They seemed to be mouned pretty securely.

They are those plastic clips. I'd suggest to anyone that does happen to lose them to replace them with something better... but be sure to use plastic washers if you use metal bolts.

Then again, they could be plastic so they break away easier in a crash...

·
Super Moderator
36,136 Posts
dman said:
Info on the clips:
You push the clip in then push the bolt in. The system is like a molly bolt, the bolt portion expands the clip that is segmented with a lip that holds the who shebang in place. The clip has a flat washer like face that fits against the surface with a couple of bumps and flats. You can easily and carefully put a flat blade screwdriver in the flat and twist up under the bolt head to release the bolt. I kind of like the way these work. They use them all over to secure things (with assisting screws in high stress areas) like the inside of your fender wells.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts